Tourer tent - side pole kit

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 20:40
ThreadID: 68393 Views:5928 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We have an Oztrail Tourer 9Plus tent and I've been considering getting a side pole kit for it. Has anyone changed to one of these and what do you think? Is it worthwhile? What's involved in setting up, etc? Do you retain the top frame and just get rid of the centre pole? Has it made your tent more user friendly?

Cheers

Louie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff & Karen - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 21:20

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 21:20
Hi Louie. We made the change to a side pole set in ours and it has made it alot easier and alot more useful room in the tent. I found we are not stepping around the pole if we have the two stretchers in there, and it is handy if it raining and the canvas gets wet. The side poles hold the walls out, stopping the wet canvas from resting on your bedding. Lets face it, when it is pouring, the canvas does get damp inside. The only down side is, I cant do any more pole dancing now the centre pole is gone. But apart from that, you will be happy. We find it is easier with 2 people to put the side poles up, but for a man, you could do it on your own, hubby can, but I need his help if I am doing it. Go ahead and by a set, we got ours from BCF.
Karen.
AnswerID: 362504

Follow Up By: Member - BUNDY BOY (WA) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 22:04

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 22:04
hi Karen
ive got the 10 plus.....never had a problem with water seeping in .did you .weather it be for the first trip.as stitch holes sometimes need to be tightened up...and were you putting the centre pole up tight enough....and with the tail end poles mine always seems to be taught enough
Bundy
FollowupID: 630225

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 10:14

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 10:14
G'day Louie,

We have a 3m x 3m Southern Cross and the missus just bought the side pole kit and we tested it at easter time, gives a perception of heaps more room inside & more usable.
For touring I think I would rather use the centre pole kit just for the ease of erecting and packing more than 2 nights the side poles.
I agree with the post above from Karen, for my wife to do it on her own she would have to use the centre pole first and then put the side pole kit in after. In saying this the southern cross canvas is much thicker and heavier than the Oztrail canvas so i dare say a bit more of a struggle.
No problems with water leaks and we had heaps of rain at Easter.

Cheers Ingo

AnswerID: 362557

Reply By: greatoutdoorsdirect - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 16:50

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 16:50
Hi Louie,

Side pole kit is really the answer for the tourer's.
It is definitely worthwhile, and eliminates the centre pole, and gives heaps more usable space.
Very easy to install, and i believe makes unit even more sturdier.
You get rid of frame and centre pole.
Comes with a new triangle frame for roof.
Enjoy..
Regards
Regan.
AnswerID: 362642

Follow Up By: beelzebug - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 16:56

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 16:56
Regan, That is not quite correct.
With the side pole kit, you do get rid of the centre pole, but the square frame still stays in place.
Louie, we have the Tourer 9 Plus and the side pole kit is certainly worthwhile.
Gary
FollowupID: 630335

Follow Up By: greatoutdoorsdirect - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 17:13

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 17:13
Gary
Correct, apologies. Just put my tent up to double check.
Regan.
FollowupID: 630342

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 19:21

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 19:21
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Side pole kit it is then. We'll welcome the extra room it seems to provide. Gives me a reason to go camping for a weekend just to try it out.

Louie
FollowupID: 630360

Sponsored Links