Sunday History Photo, Qld

Submitted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 00:39
ThreadID: 68457 Views:3160 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have some some other files about Lytton Fort that are way too big to show here so I have made a link to them on my webpage, Dial Up users can try , you'll have time for a coffee while waiting,
These large files will be removed in about a weeks time.

Link to large files

Fort Lytton is a national park in Queensland (Australia), 13 km northeast of Brisbane. It is located near the mouth of the Brisbane River on the southern bank.
The Fort was designed by Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Scratchley and built in 1880–1881. The fort was used for defensive purposes in Brisbane until the end of the Second World War after which it was virtually abandoned
Image Could Not Be Found
The Fort was established in response to the fear of a Russian invasion in the 1870s and 1880s. To guard the river ‘two six-inch muzzle loading rifled guns and two 64-pounder cannons’ were installed and heavier guns were ‘to face the river and sweep the foreshore’. Barracks were established for the permanent garrison and the soldiers who came to train there. Fort Lytton was maintained for many years as a defence force and thousands of soldiers trained there during the Boer War and two World Wars.
The fortifications at Lytton are one of the few 19th Century military establishments surviving in Queensland, and is a most tangible link with Queensland's military history and the way in which it influenced our past.
Constructed at the township of Lytton near the mouth of the Brisbane River, the Fort assumed the name of its locality.
Work began in 1880/81 and for the rest of the century there were considerable adaptions and modifications. The area surrounding the Fort was used for defence purposes until the end of the second World War.
It was acquired by Ampol Pty Ltd as part of a land package for an oil refinery. This refinery was built, but thankfully the Fort and its immediate area was retained.
Image Could Not Be Found
After many years of extensive lobbying by interest groups such as The Arms Collectors' Guild of Queensland Inc., the Fort was finally handed back to the people and placed in the care of the Queensland National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS); and it is they who manage its day-to-day operations.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 06:55

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 06:55
Hi Doug

We have been there a few times over the years, interesting place,
allways wondered why the Russians would want to steam that far south to invade Australia, the logistics of carrying out an invasion is mind boggling, now days it's a great place for school excursions,and day trips, I think the government also used the place as a Quarantien Station some time back.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 362885

Reply By: Bushwhacker - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 08:16

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 08:16
Hi Doug, very interesting as always.... made me wonder if the fort's designer, Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Scratchley, was responsible in some way for our local fort in Stockton (Newcastle), not far from the famous 4wd playgroud of sand dunes. It is called Fort Scratchley, and has recently undergone a large refurbishment. I haven't been yet.... better check my local history too. Thanks for the lesson, Whacker
AnswerID: 362891

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:36

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:36
In 2004 Fort Scratchley was closed for renovation which the Newcastle city hoped would make the fort a major tourist attraction. Unfortunately, as costs rose due to vandalism and an increase in necessary decontamination to the site, the progress stalled. The Australian Government is funding the project after reaching an agreement with the Newcastle City Council in 2004, and decided to increase their funding from an estimated $5.5 million to almost $10 million after reaching a second agreement in 2007 . The government wants to ensure that the site is repaired correctly as they see it as a special place in Australia’s military history. The site re-opened in June 2008 and a museum on the site is expected to up and running in by 2009.
The fort was completed on 2 April 1882. It was designed by Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Scratchley, after whom the fort was named.
During World War II, the fort was further upgraded with the extension of the Battery Observation Post and provision of Searchlight Directing Station and blast walls were constructed in 1942.
The two 6-in BL Mark VII guns fired at Japanese submarine I-21, which shelled the city, on 8 June 1942
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 630564

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 09:09

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 09:09
I knew the Hunter was a muddy river but I didnt think the Hunter silted up enough for the Fort to be in Stockton on the Northern Bank.
I suppose to 4x4 people Stockton the North Shore side of the Hunter is the important side with the sand dunes so I suppose in this instant we can call Newcastle a suburb of Stockton and the Fort can be in Stockton.
Ian

FollowupID: 630741

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 14:21

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 14:21
Hi RV, If only you knew 'Stocktonites'. As far as the lucky people who live in Stockton are concerned, Newcastle is that horrible place overseas... well, across the harbour, anyway. If you buy a house there, you are not considered a 'local' unless you are 3rd generation, living in the family home! The dunes are not only a playground for 4wd people, but a beautifull place on the eyes, and a very important part of the local environment. The good people of Stockton will welcome you, as long as you don't damage their area, not a problem for fair dinkum 4wd travellers and enthusiasts, 'Whacker
FollowupID: 630787

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 16:27

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 16:27
Good God Whacker I didnt realise it was so elite Ill have to ring my brother in law up and tell him he is now an elitist.
I think they can rake up 4 generations and seeing as our family originated on the North Shore in Tomago and Raymond Terrace back in the 1840s and some more of them drifted down river maybe I can get an entry visa and a passport to go there too.

Ian

FollowupID: 630808

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:29

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:29
Yes Ian, the people from Stockton are a rare breed, a bit like country folk, always there to lend a hand, but it is THEIR country...lol. You MIGHT sneak in as a guest if you have a 4 generation history, sounds like pretty fair lineage, going back to the 1840's...lol. Being a bit fair dinkum though, its a great place, great people. I took a spell from my trade, and worked as a 'range assistant' at the Army rifle range there (now gone) in the 1980's, mowing grass, making targets, and visiting the bottle shop...... thats when I first saw the beauty of the dunes, the rifle range is right behind the dunes, and it was my job to put the red flag up, if the Army was going to start firing... bloody great part of the job, just beautifull. 'Whacker
FollowupID: 630827

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 20:38

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 20:38
Whacker
Ahhh the 1980's the beauty of a westerly bringing the ash dust over from the coke ovens to ensure you had to shower regularly and the wafting of the chemicals from Eastern Nitrogen to clear your nostrils.
Im pleased you enjoyed your stay there and the beer was always good at the Boat Rowers or the RSL.
Ian
FollowupID: 630856

Sponsored Links