Insurance on vehicle contents

Submitted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 08:18
ThreadID: 68460 Views:2641 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Our landcruiser is insured with AAMI, but I notice that the contents are only covered for up to $1,000. This would not even cover the fridge.
Has anyone found an insurance company that gives more cover on vehicle contents?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushwhacker - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 08:59

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 08:59
Hi Yogi, a year and a half ago, when Newcastle and surrounds had major flooding, my mate's Commodore had about a metre of water go through it. Result, -write off. They also had childrens car seats in it (as grandparents often do). They were told to present the "remains" of these seats to the insurer, which they did, and they were reimbursed. Funny, when they took the sodden seats to the office of the insurer, the staff wern't impressed... water over the carpets in the office, but Bob explained what he had been told to do- and left them there for the insurance company to dispose of,,lol. Insurer, NRMA, but best to check first! I am with AAMI, and happy, but when I had a write off some years ago,(fire) I enquired if my CD collection was covered..... the guy I was talking to started inferring that maybe I was making a false claim. He back-peddled when I pulled him up on that, but he did explain that people wanted to claim for expensive leather coats etc, that they had no way of knowing were really in the car, so I guess it is a difficult one. Check out the major ones, but like I said, NRMA did cover my mate's child seats, would MAYBE cover your stuff too. Hope this helps, Whacker
AnswerID: 362895

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 09:01

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 09:01
Oh yeah, forgot to suggest maybe Shannons, they are 'enthusiasts' insurers... Gogomobiles etc :)
FollowupID: 630525

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:08

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:08
Hi Bob,

With NRMA, you can nominate things like your fridge on your home contents insurance and they are also covered in the car.

Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 362906

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:41

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:41
Hi Bob
In the past, we were insured with the Big Name Insurance Companies that most people would have hear of. Just over 6 years ago, we received our usual renewal notices and found very large increases in policy pricing. We then let our fingers do the walking and have been with Elders Insurance ever since. No hassle claims and very fast settlement. We have a $10,000 away from home contents insurance included. The only thing that it stipulates, that any one item that is valued over $2000 must be nominated.
So as you can see, things like the Engel, video camera, DSLR Camera swags, tent etc do not have to be nominated, as their own individual price is less that $2000 each.

Also with the vehicle insurance, I have written down every add on that I have fitted, eg cargo barrier, driving lights, roller _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx etc and they are included as extra accessories.

We have been more that happy with Elders Insurance, and they do our complete coverage, from house to car, caravan etc.


Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 362910

Reply By: DesF - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:05

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:05
Hi, When we went on our last outback trip , I rang my insurer ( SGIC) and asked about adding things to the car policy they said that the items usually kept in the house are covered when in the car, I just listed the items ($5.000) worth and they sent me a policy and they said to cancel it when we got back and only have to pay pro-rata of time used, we were away 3 weeks and when we got back I and rang to cancel , they said dont worry about it,
Good I thought , I think it was only going to be about $30.00 for the year anyway.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 362940

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:46

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:46
I was with Suncorp and as I dont own a house other than the van I couldnt get an extension on my house contents.
They would insure the stuff in the van and annexe but not in the car.
Affinity tailored a policy for me as i have my Cruiser with them
Now after getting an $1100 bill from Suncorp they also have my van and as such the contents are now covered in both vehicles for about $650 against what would have cost me over $1300. had I stayed with Suncorp.

Also got a good price for the car which has $11,000 of accessories and was still cheaper than anyone else at $647.
AnswerID: 362948

Reply By: shaneo86 - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 18:03

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 18:03
im with aami,

and alot of other places dont cover you if you dont go on a marked road "track" like i rang to make sure if i go n freash water track "rainbow" and somthing happens on the tight corners etc... will i be coverd yes but there are few that dont cover you for offroad use for things

rodeo with facelift
AnswerID: 362989

Reply By: Member - Yogibob - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 18:04

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 18:04
Thanks guys (and gals).

You have provided me with some more options which I will check out.

AnswerID: 363716

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 11:06

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 11:06
Hi Bob

You didn't indicate whether you meant accessories (given you mentioned the fridge) or simply personal items.

Items like fridges and other vehicle accessories can be listed on policies with most insurers and can be covered under the vehicle policy. Personal items are a different matter and you would need to look at your vehicle policy. Remembering that if you have contents insurance on your home, depending on the level of cover, personal items may be covered under this policy.

AnswerID: 363826

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)