"Hybrid" camper suggestions?

Submitted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 15:58
ThreadID: 68471 Views:6703 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently researching campers and of course can't find "exactly" what I am looking for. I thought someone might have experience or suggestions to help. What appeals to me most so far is the 'hybrid' type that is part trailer, part caravan such as the Australia Offroad 'quantum' or the bayside 'silver gypsy' or the 'camprite'
What I want is a camper where the beds are ready set up as soon as I stop. There are two adults and 4 small children (who can sleep in the space of two adults for now and can have a separate pop-up tent when a bit older). No need for any further inside space for sitting, eating etc as we do that outside. No need for toilet or shower inside but outside shower would be nice. Then an external kitchen under a roll-out type awning with the ability to add sides to the awning for a place to sit if it rains. And enough storage space to put all our gear.
Now I know I'm not asking for much :) Anyone have any suggestions for a model or something that fits a similar bill for them that they are happy with?
Thanks, Fraun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 18:50

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 18:50
Fraun, you seem to want to be off ground (e.g. hard floor). But I’ve wondered if you get Helton shower under bonnet then options option up a bit – perhaps normal flip camper ok then – lots of capacity for 4 kids. Trak Shak for beds maybe. I think sleeping room for the 4 kids is the challenge. Sorry, can’t think of much else. Good luck
AnswerID: 363002

Follow Up By: IdahOz - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:52

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:52
thanks jdwynn, could you please explain how an under the bonnet shower works, just the general principle not all the details? I hadn't heard of that before, thanks, Fraun
FollowupID: 630644

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:13

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:13
Here are a couple. Connect to car engine cooling system for heat.

Helton

Glind

There's also the Primus portable shower unit - has gas heater I think. You could search EO forum for more details on these.

Cheers

FollowupID: 630651

Reply By: Best Off Road - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:11

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:11
Fraun,

The Camprite may suit your needs.

With a bit of luck Captain may read this and offer comment.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 363006

Reply By: aeiou - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:12

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:12
Try www.campertrailers.org
AnswerID: 363007

Reply By: briann532 - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:53

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:53
Hi IdahOz,

My wife and I are in the same position, but only have 2 children.
After extensive research and discussion we have decided upon a Jayco Hawk. they are called a camper trailer but are more of a pop top caravan with slide out beds.
The Camprite was my favourite till I saw the Jayco.
A lot less money for a lot more options and a much quicker setup and pack up time.
I also like the idea of all the beds off the floor.
Granted, it may be a bit "soft" to tackle "cape York" or the "Gibb River Rd", but with our first starting school next year we will probably put that on our retirement list. We also think it would be better to hire a camper for that if we really felt like going.
I'm sure a lot of people would debate our decision, but I guess its horses for courses.
We can take it everywhere we want to go with comfort and ease. You stated you didn't really need internal seating, but you could just consider it a bonus for the price.
Lights, oven, water, kitchen etc all ready to go.
We are adding a full pull out annex and storm covers for bad weather, and an external fitted BBQ. For a family it seems like good value for money.
With the exception of a few, I thought that most camper trailers were really only good for couples.
I would consider where you want to take it and how much setup time is important to you, then consider the Jayco.
If it doesn't suit your needs and you do require a hard core camper trailer, when I was looking the "Trak Shak" seem to be quite large with accomodation for a big family, but again, seting up and packing up was a bit of work, and you had a lot of canvas on the floor. (cleaning and packing up wet, disagrees with my medication - Tooheys four times a day)

Good luck with your search
Brian
AnswerID: 363018

Follow Up By: IdahOz - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:47

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:47
thanks for the feedback. it really is a tough decision isn't it? we were supposed to be 'empty nesters' but ended up adopting 4 littlies who are now 2, 3, 6, and 8. We all love camping and prefer to be able to get away from the 'caravan parks' type of camping but at the same time don't envision fording rivers and driving up and down gorges either. We are new to camping in oz and have found even the non-bitumen but non-4WD roads to be pretty rough and 'washboardy' and wonder if we need something pretty rugged even for those kind of roads. i looked at the trak shak but it looked like too much setting up for me. I like the look of the adventure off road trailer, but perhaps we don't really need off-road??
FollowupID: 630685

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 23:40

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 23:40
Hi Fraun,

I currently have a Camprite camper trailer and previously had a Windsor Rapid Offroad van. We have two children (11 & 8) but they were 4 & 2 when we first got the Rapid.

The difference between these two (apart from the obvious) is that in the Camprite we feel like we are really camping (under canvas, only cook outside, only inside to sleep or get changed) but still have the advantages of very quick setup (beds already made - but you would need bunks for 4 kids that require 2 to be set up) and sleep completely off the ground and have no pegs. Only when you use the awning (and walls) do you have any pegs or guy ropes.

However, with 4 kids of such a young age, the advantage of a van like the Rapid would make sense. I know how much "stuff" 2 young kids require, so can only imagine what 4 need (and you have less room to carry stuff in the vehicle too). There is no doubt that a van would have less set up, has the rollup awning but not sure if you can get an outside kitchen.

Both the Camprite and a Windsor (comparable to a Jayco style) would be able to accommodate all your family, I suppose it boils down to how much of a real camping feel you want. There is no doubt the Camprite is FAR more off-road capable, but that is only an advantage if you intend going off-road.

For me, while the Rapid offered a very quick setup, the luxuries of reverse cycle air-con, microwave, wardrobes for clothes etc... it ended up being a distraction from the "under the canvas" sleeping, outside cooking, dressing for the weather, etc... of the Camprite. However, with 4 young children, the quicker setup of the Rapid would certainly appeal...

Good luck in your research ;)

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 363059

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 22:19

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 22:19
Captain Hi

I must say, your set up is one of the better one I've seen, the Camprite camper trailer look like a very well made camper.

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 630885

Reply By: IdahOz - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 08:17

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 08:17
thanks captain, i do keep coming back to the camprite for the reasons you mention. We are recent transplants from Idaho where we had a camper that would be called a caravan here. It had a push out bed for us on one end and bunks for the kids on the other. in between it had lots of luxuries we rarely used because we did all our living outside under the awning. so that is why i think we would prefer something as I described. i think we should hire a camprite for a test run and see what we think, Fraun
AnswerID: 363089

Sponsored Links