PDA and Moving Maps

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 19:46
ThreadID: 6851 Views:1564 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone use,d a PDA in conjuniction with moving maps ? What i,d like to know is , can you load oziexplorer and the raster 250k onto a pda and use the moving maps part . If so , could please let me know the details as there is not enough room to set the laptop up without it getting in the way . I dont know if this can be dun or not , so i though i,d ask you allknowledgable computer buff,s the question . I would need to hook my gps up to it as well ( der , obviously ). Thanks in advance .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BurnieM - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:03

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:03
Yep, there is a product called OziExplorerCE that loads to a PocketPC
Ozi site
GPSoz site
AnswerID: 29247

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 21:36

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 21:36
After going out with Ray and his moving maps, Im never going to bother.

Driving along at 1kph is not my scene adn that was with a laptop on the passangers seat! There has to be a better way...
AnswerID: 29260

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 22:14

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 22:14
Hi Errol,

You will need to purchase the OziExplorerCE version from the link in the previous response. I have an iPaq PDA with a Garmin Etrex Venture using moving map and I love it. No comms problems that I had with the laptop/GPS setup. OziExplorerCE even has a speed monitor for those vehicles (like mine) that don't have one.

CheersJust Do It!

AnswerID: 29270

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:25

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:25
Attach 15" TFT monitor to laptop and get a map image that you can actually see:-)Monitor can be mounted almost anywhere and can be put away when not in use. They make smaller monitors too (Jaycar). Also monitors are cheaper than PDAs.Bob
AnswerID: 29283

Reply By: Groove - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:12

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:12
Some things to consider.
A PDA with a decent display will cost a fair bit and even then wont have a great deal of space for maps. You will have to load maps that you want for a particular trip. Expandinding the memory is an option or you can now get very tiny hard drives for PDAs but once again starts to get expensive.

Next most GPS plug into a serial I dont know of any PDA's with a serial port so you will need a USB to serial adaptor, if the pda has a USB port (check before you but)

Failing that you can get GPS cards that plug directly into the PDA but once again more money

However I have seen these setps working and most people give them a thumbs up. The other main downside that I hear is the small size of the screen. Its not very usful using a map that is about 2 inches by 3.

I have a 12.1inch TFT display taken from dead laptop connected to a mini PC that sits under the drivers seat. Plays DVD's MP3s and runs ozi explorer.

I have a small wirless keyboard with a tiny integrated trackball. This project is not quite finished but is looking promising.

AnswerID: 29331

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:48

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:48
Interesting, how did you go about interfacing the display to the motherboard.Hooroo
FollowupID: 20429

Follow Up By: Groove - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:23

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:23
Fair question Mad Dog,
There are a number of companies on the net selling controller cards designed just for this task.

Some are PCI cards that are direct digital itnerface to the panel, others take a VGA input from an existing vga port and convert for use with a panel. Some of the controllers that use the later approach also have a composite video input as well so you can use the panel with camcorder playstation any video signal really. (this is the approach I have used)

There are companies on the net also selling kits that include the panel and controller.

try www.amtex.com.au or www.earthlcd.com. These are much better than the screen being sold for use with DVD players etc if plan to use them for mapping. Also do a search on carputer, lots of project of this type being done at the moment.
FollowupID: 20535

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:59

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:59
We always have and always will use a laptop - even with a 15inch monitor it is hard enough to see the map detail. What you need is one of the soon to be released ExplorOz custom laptop mounts. Designed and built be your truely, I have designed a system that does not require any holes drilled in any parts of the vehicle - it uses already in place mounts and brackets for the vehicle. My prototype was taken on our CSR trip (to make sure it is up to 4WD'ing) It came through with flying colours and the first customer install is to happen this weekend.

More details to follow however have a look at the 80 series unit mounted in our vehicle. [ View Image]Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 29353

Follow Up By: George from New Start Building Company p/l - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 18:41

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 18:41
David,
Any complaints from your passenger, having the laptop screen blocking their view ?
What stops the screen from falling backwards or forwards
Cheers
FollowupID: 20772

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 22:15

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 22:15
No Michelle does not complain about it - I have also sat in the seat and it does not sit right in your face as it is off the the side - more close to the middle of the vehicle. Additionally I have the laptop configured to ignore the lid closed event thus it will run perfectly with the lid closed so a lot of the time the actual unit is closed.

The laptop screen seems perfectly able to stand up at position we set it in and it does not move at all. I have tried a few different laptops and they have all been fine in holding position even over some of the roughest roads. They do fall if you only open it a few inches however we just close it if we do not want to see it and know that it is still recording the track perfectly. Lift the screen and view it see what you need and close it again. Works a treat!Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 20781

Reply By: Rick - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:29

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:29
Hey,
Read your article with interest. Would appreciate it if u could let us know how it all goes.
Have not had a chance to look at the sites for interfacing the laptop TFT to the VGA adaptor but also have another question.
Power supplies? Do you have any links on computer power supplies that run from 12V or have you made your own? Amreluctant to use an inverter to wind up to 240V and then bring it back down.
Vibration?? - Reliability of hard drives etc. Will look at the links and wait on to see how you get on.
Regards
Rick
AnswerID: 29473

Follow Up By: Groove - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 12:52

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 12:52
My Project is still on the test bench so I am using 240 volt power, however I wont be using an inverter in the final product. I will probably build one however there is more to an ATX powersupply that just the 5 and 12 volt supply so I have some research to do in this area

Power is an issue as you dont want the computer to reset when you start the engine, mine wil be powered from the aux battery but you could run it driectly from the main but you will have to not let it shut flatten the battery.

As far as vibration and reliability, good question. I am using a 2.5inch hard drive (also from a laptop), these are much lighter than the standard 3.5 inch so should be easy to mount very securely maybe in a high density foam casing (not forgetting ventilation.)

Have a look at this site, they have VGA touch screens for cars ready to be pluged in directly to a pc. Touch screen would be very cool, no mouse needed http://www.i-zone-3.com/components.htm.

This is a big project I will keep anyone inetersted updated as I go.
Cheers
FollowupID: 20661

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 00:03

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 00:03
Errol - laptops are fine - but a pain if you want to go exploring on foot as well as driving ..if you like moving map software but never stray far from camp on foot a laptop is the go for most I suspect (especially if you also have good GPS eg Meridian + maps). Horses for courses I suppose..I have a iPaq 3660 + dual expansion pack - with CF GPS card and 2GB HDD (for all the maps) - running OziCE - works fine. What you get depends on what you are going to use it for - Several advantages over a laptop - but several disadvantages as well..because of what I use it for I wouldnt trade it for a laptop.
Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 29761

Follow Up By: Groove - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:26

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:26
Good point about the walking.

When I am going for a long walk I usually plot the route on the laptop using Oziexplorer then download the track to the GPS. I dont end up with a moving map but I do know if I am on track or not. I also plot a few waypoints to keep track of my progress. Most basic GPS have this fascility these days.

Given that the GPS is water proof and very robust its a good low cost solution.
FollowupID: 20848

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 23:52

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 23:52
Groove - yes the modern "basic" GPS is a marvel ...but try loading a calibrated airphoto into one! Never found much use for using route function on GPS or Ozi ...I have a bad habit of just wandering around.. Cheers
Greg
FollowupID: 20898

Sponsored Links