DMH Hamersley Tourer Tent

Submitted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 12:06
ThreadID: 68532 Views:8495 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone heard about or used one of these.
They are dome tent type material, one layer and go up like a centre pole tent with the side poles.
They weigh far less than the standard canvas cp tent and cost less.
Wodering if there's a catch.
Dean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:02

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:02
If I was taking it in the car I wouldnt make low weight one of the deciding factors.
Something in the 30-40kg range maybe much better and more suitable for longer stays (but more $$$ )
But of course everything depands on where and when and how long you intend to camp for
AnswerID: 363324

Follow Up By: Moose - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:12

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:12
What tent in a similar style to the DMH Hamersley Tourer weighs 30 to 40 kg?
I imagine few campers would buy a tourer style for long stays.
FollowupID: 630953

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:29

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:29
Im pretty sure you can get the same type of tent in canvass. Im not sure of the weight,but I wouldnt worry about the weight unless I was lumping it around
FollowupID: 631026

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:39

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:39
G'day Dean
I'm just looking into quick erect tourer tents myself. Wife doesn't like the new dome style tent we bought recently so have to change.
Glad you posted because I hadn't found that one.
Have found Freedom, OzTrail, Southern Cross, Primus and Roman so far. No doubt others exist.
It's interesting that the DMH one doesn't weigh that much less than some of the others so maybe quality is OK. I'll be interested in the replies to your question.
BTW - OzTrail have a "Lite" model in canvas that, on the website looks OK - but I haven't seen a live one yet. Only 1kg more than the DMH.
Have you found a price for that DMH?
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 363336

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:30

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:30
Ive seen the DMH for $199
FollowupID: 631027

Follow Up By: Dean - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:44

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:44
Moose,
Have looked at the oztrail lite but is very flimsy and only 2.4 x 2.4, we want a minimum of 2.6.
Spoke to another retailer yesterday and he reckons that the DMH are pretty good, but they suffer from condensation if camping in cold areas, which we do. Dont know if thats sales BS but there's no doubt canvas do breathe better.
Will look at the Primus and Outdoor Connections range tomorrow, both between 300-400. The primus traveller looks pretty good, comes with the side pole kit, but I'm a bit sus about the claimed 15kg as it has a heavy duty vinyl floor.
I'm particularly after light weight as it will be up top, plenty of good quality tents around but all too heavy for my situation.
Will let you know.
Dean
FollowupID: 631141

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:07

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:07
Thanks Dean
Looks like no-one has a DMH, or at least no-one reading this post.
That condensation issue I believe affects all tents. Have been rained on inside a canvas tent on more than one occassion when it was fine outside. Warm air touching cold canvas leads to internal condensation. Despite the supposed breathability of canvas I have heard that unless one uses a tarp floating close to but not touching the roof it can't be avoided. But that's just extra effort I can't be bothered with!
My issue isn't so much weight but the space it takes up since I'll be carrying it inside. And I don't want to spend a small fortune on something I'll only use occassionally. Yeah I know you only get what you pay for but I'll have to settle for getting less.
In what way was that OzTrail lite flimsy?
Couldn't see anything in Tourer style on Outdoor Connections site?
Cheers from the Moose
FollowupID: 631147

Follow Up By: Dean - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:46

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:46
The oztrail lite had a very thin frame and centre pole, was steel but felt more like plastic.
Outdoor Connections have ones similar to the DMH.
FollowupID: 631314

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 23:09

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 23:09
Hi Dean,
I can't comment about this particular model; however we have had a DMH Murray Geodesic tent for a few years now which we are very happy with. Quite surprised at how durable it has been. Refer attached link to DMH website may help DMH Home Page
Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 363429

Reply By: Pebble - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 17:12

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 17:12
Hi Dean,

We brought a pair of DMH Derwent hiking tents, so far only use they've had is a night testing them out here on our property (we're rural, so we had a campfire and all - just like camping in the bush).
So without having put them through their paces I think the quality of the brand seems to be very good, hence I was interested in your posts - we did consider the "tourer" style tents like OzTrail and the others, but the things that put me off were the weight, size, cost or all three.

So just having a look at the
Hammersley Tourer and I think no doubt that it wouldn't be as durable as the canvas versions. But I think it has it's place in the market, for people that would normally have the dome tents anyway, but want something that's easier and quicker to set up. I would seriously consider buying one, it would be a good option for when we don't want to set up the two hiking tents (one for us one for the kids). I think it just depends how often you go camping and how much punishment you would be putting your gear through.
AnswerID: 363710

Follow Up By: Pebble - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 17:26

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 17:26
The catch would mainly be durability I reckon.
I would be looking closely at the quality of the pvc floor - hopefully it's nice and thick.
One thing I wasn't overly impressed by with the Oztrail versions, I didn't like their floors much, just didn't seem like they would be overly waterproof.

But as far as condensation goes even canvas has that problem, well particularly if it sags and you get water pooling, then it does come through and drip inside the tent. In some ways at least nylon / pvc etc is easier to wipe down and dry off before packing away too.

Just wish I'd seen it back when we were in the market for tents especially at that price!! I'd say go for it, even if it lasts a year, at least you can decide weather it's the type of tent for you, and you can then upgrade.

On another thought considering we've had a Oztrail (or similar brand) ensuite tent set up over our bush dunny for a year or so, and it still keeps the rain out etc, surely you can't go too wrong with buying a tent type material touring tent.
FollowupID: 631392

Follow Up By: Dean - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 12:43

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 12:43
Ive finished up buying a primus explorer canvas tourer, comes with side poles which will stay home for our upcoming trip. I made the boring choice and stuck with what I know. Slightly heavier than what I was after, but you just cant have everything. I reckon this tent will be used more than originally thought. Not as tough as aussie made tents, but only $405 so not too bad. Hosed it down last night with a small amount of water coming in, should improve with more wetting and drying.
The 15.5kg weight quoted is canvas and internal frame only, add another 5kg for the side and awning poles, and good quality pegs.
Dean
FollowupID: 631500

Sponsored Links