Posted for a friend!

Submitted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:13
ThreadID: 68537 Views:2449 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Ivan,

You seem to have a lot of experience in this area so I thought I would ask. A bunch of us (kids and all) are wanting to drive from Darwin to Broome in Jun/Jul next year - some of the gang have no experience whatsoever.

Do you know any tour operators that do this sort of trip that are not HUGELY expensive and overly intrusive but provide good equipment and support for the inexperienced drivers. None of us have 4WDs we just want to fly into Darwin and out of Broome.

Cheers Deb
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:22

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:22
Don't need a 4x4 for that route. Mebbe she can hire a Hundai Getz and drive there. El Cheapo holiday.

Cheers
AnswerID: 363359

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:04

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:04
She had better be careful of killer koalas and kangeroos. Also Wolf Creek gunmen who lie in wait for un-suspecting travellers.
Didn't that German fella go beserk out that way a while ago?
Whoaaa...scary stuff :)))
But I'd rather hear of that sort of enquiry than the opposite hairy chested approach.
AnswerID: 363367

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:18

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:18
Geez Footy

Sounds like the area around David Fleays Fauna Reserve lol. especially where it backs on to Tallebudgera Creek, you see and here of some strange goings on and some weird noises lol lol. we have it all on the Gold Coast.
FollowupID: 631022

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:23

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:23
And smells...did anyone mention those ? LOL
FollowupID: 631024

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:17

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:17
Ivan,

Darwin-Katherine-Kunanurra-Hall's Creek-Fitzroy Crossing-Broome. Bitumen all the way, no need for 4WD or a tour company UNLESS they want to see some of the attractions along the way (Bungles, Tunnel Creek, Windjana Gorge etc). But if content to stay on the bitumen its a great drive even for inexperienced folk. Just hire a motorhome and go.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 363369

Follow Up By: tim_c - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 20:43

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 20:43
Just don't leave the car unattended in Hall's Creek!
FollowupID: 631042

Follow Up By: debs - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 13:50

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 13:50
we do want to see the sights - otherwise why bother!

Wanted to know if there were good companies to hire the camping equip and vehicles from
FollowupID: 631981

Follow Up By: tim_c - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:23

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:23
Ok sorry for frivolity and unhelpful response: when we travelled there in 2007, Britz campers were by far the most common, try: www.britz.com.au for info. Britz have camper vans in various configurations and sizes and also hire out camping equipment.

On the budget end, we also saw quite a few backpackers travelling around in "wicked campers" which might be okay if you don't mind driving a van that looks like it's been left unattended near the local skatepark :)

If you just want to go on a tour bus, there are a number including the Kimberley Wilderness Adventures, operated by the well-known APT brand - see www.kimberleywilderness.com.au for info or you could try AAT Kings which are also well known across Australia - see www.aatkings.com/au/ for info.

I don't have any affiliation/experience with any of the names mentioned above etc. blah blah blah, they are just the most common ones that I remember from my travels in that area. Try googling "kimberley 4WD tours" or "kimberley 4WD hire" and you should get a few to choose from - they are quite popular so there are a few competitors for either self-drive or tourbus. Just remember that usually the cheapest is cheaper for a reason! Have a great trip!
FollowupID: 632000

Follow Up By: debs - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:28

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:28
Thanks I have done a couple of searches and found some reasonable 4WD campervans - did not do the "kimberley" search - I will try that next. A visit to borders for a guide book might be a good ideas as well. Trouble is we only have 2-3 weeks and want to spend it all in NT/WA otherwise we would drive and bring all our own camping equip etc up from melb.
FollowupID: 632001

Sponsored Links