Which long range fuel tank???

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 23:33
ThreadID: 6854 Views:3900 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at replacement tanks for my Mtz Triton GLX. Alternatives are LRA's 135L or 4wdsystems' 136L. Really keen to hear of any experiences of fitting these tanks. Good or bad please. (how easy is it to fit? / how well does it fit? etc.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:20

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:20
Hi,
I don't have a Triton, but I have recently put a long range tank in my Prado. Went to Brown Davis, which I think make one of the best tanks - aluminised steel, fully baffled, double skin around brackets, magnetic drain plug etc. Recommend you check them out before buying if you're interested in quality. They make a similar sized tank for your vehicle - I just rang them to check.
Finally, I understand that the 4WDSystems company no longer exists - it was wound up by the ACCC. Now trading under a different name - Systems? Anyhow, I would be dubious about the warranty support available for that company in particular. Like anything, do your research and be careful what you buy.....Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 29291

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:31

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:31
I have a 4WD Systems (their website is still accessible so I'm assuming they're still in biz) LR tank and after 3 years bashing around in the pilbara it has not a mark on it and hasn't failed me at all so I can recommend one. Takes about 4 hours to fit and only 2 holes to drill on the 80 series. Delivered free to my door.
AnswerID: 29300

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 18:58

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 18:58
as per below my fule gauge doesn't move until I've got 50 litres left but that's still a good 350 km's PLUS I still have the main tank of 95 litres still to go, so I reckon I'd be able to find a roadhouse in that time even here in the North West.
FollowupID: 20435

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 18:59

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 18:59
sorry 'bout the typo - that's fuel.
I've given up proof reading before I post
FollowupID: 20436

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:48

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:48
G'day Wills,

Just done all the research on a replacement tank for my Triton. Have decided to go with Long Ranger as they are the only ones who modify the fuel sender so that the gauge reads correctly. The Brown Davis tank seemed to my untrained eye to be manufactured stronger but they simply plonk the existing fuel sender in and therefore the gauge would not move down from full until you were down to about 50 litres left in the tank. Both seemed pretty easy to fit but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Hope this is some help."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 29312

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 15:45

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 15:45
This is interesting, Wombat. My Prado tank reads properly, and I wondered what would be different, so rang BD to ask. They say that the Prado (and most Toyotas) sender comes in from the top, and can thus be extended and rigged to read full on full and decrease normally to empty. In contrast, tanks like the Triton and Jackaroo have their senders coming in from the side, so if the tank is taller than original, it must read full for a while if it is to read empty when the tank is actually empty - which you need to happen. Extending them is difficult (apparently) because the tank is not very wide, and there is very little different in the basic shape of the LR and BD tanks. So, I'm curious as to how LR solve the problem - do they use a different sender perhaps?Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 20425

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 16:53

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 16:53
Hi Russell - Here is a cut and paste from the fitting instructions supplied by Long Ranger;

"Remove fuel pump, sender unit and rollover valves from original tank. Lengthen the sender unit float arm by 80mm inverting the float so that it points down. Increase the angle of the top bend on both the float arm and the low fuel light sensor (the rod in the kit is 100mm long to allow for 10mm overlap join). Then fit them to the new replacement tank. (Fit the sender unit first so you can check the float arm travel through the fuel pump hole to see that it does not foul on anything.)"

From what I can gather the BD tank is not as wide as LR's and this precludes them from having a similar setup."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 20427

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:17

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:17
Ah... fair enough. thanks.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 20540

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 20:44

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 20:44
check out post id; 6770 before you make a decision

PMKoff to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
AnswerID: 29364

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 23:08

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 23:08
I have Brown Davis...

We all know what is brown dont we, well that is their aftersales service.

S H I T
AnswerID: 29386

Sponsored Links