200 Series Cruiser Update

Submitted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 10:19
ThreadID: 68555 Views:4413 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am about to order 2 x VX 200 Series Cruisers and have been told the cost of these has gone up around $2k. There seems to be talk of an update to the vehicles with 18"wheels and some other minor changes, was wondering if anyone knows anything about this and what the updates are.?

The dealer was very vague couldn't tell me.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ino - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 10:34

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 10:34
Haggle them down. I've got my new 70-series wagon quite a lot down after arguing with them. After 2 and a half weeks in which 6 dealers called my bluff, one meant business - so there you go.

I'd say that if you want to buy *two* - they'd better come to the party with a better price than the quoted one. And the horse-manure about "oh - it's just increased $2K" is just that - horse-manure. They're making sure they make a reaaaaly quick buck off you.

Put it this way - you don't have to buy the cars - but they do have to sell them! Guess who needs to be "flexible"?

Also - visit all the dealers you have in your proximity - it's a hell of a lot of money to hand to one dealer without seeing the other ones.

Ino!~
AnswerID: 363461

Follow Up By: Ino - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 10:40

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 10:40
Hmm... That was a little bit off-topic and off question - but ... meh :)

I'm not really sure that the $2K would cover other than currency variations in the yen perhaps. And even that would be a tad debatable.

In the grand scheme of things - when you look at the price of the car and the amount it increases - it doesn't really make much sense as to what's been added - the amount is too small in itself.

Ino!~
FollowupID: 631127

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 10:40

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 10:40
A software update for the 200 Series transmission ECU has also been released to fix the 6th gear problem in the last couple of weeks.

According to 200 series owners on LCOOL it is a big improvement.

Only problem is that a lot of Toyota service centers are unaware of it, so you might have to aggressively encourage service manager to get them to contact Toyota about it.
AnswerID: 363464

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 10:49

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 10:49
OK, Was just told the following. June Production vehicles will be the current model and has gone up $2.5k.

July production is the updated model with the following changes for the VX models.

Updated Model (July Production) (VX Updates)

• 18” Wheels
• Rear Camera
• Steering Wheel Audio Controls
• 4.3”Audio Display Screen incorporating Rear Camera
• USB Port
• Rear 12V Accessory Socket

AnswerID: 363465

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:06

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:06
18" wheels. I wonder how long I would have to wait to get a replacement into Weipa if I ruined mine. Hmmmm
FollowupID: 631132

Follow Up By: Ino - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:11

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:11
Hehehe, USB port!

I can almost see it:

Windows has discovered new USB hardware and is installing the device drivers for the following:

* Toyota 200 Series July VX Update
* Toyota V8 diesel engine
* Generic USB Camera
* Toyota beverage holder

Windows needs to restart your Toyota now. An icon has been placed on your desktop for ease of access to your car :)

Ino!~
FollowupID: 631133

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:13

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:13
Can I ask what price they are offering you the two vehicles for as opposed to the new list price??

As said before the deals happening out there are amazing and its well worth spending the time to crunch a heap of dealers on the sale of one vehicle let alone two.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 631134

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:42

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:42
18" wheels in Weipa.? Well you'd have a spare and if you were concerned about damaging further vehicles you would have further spares would you not.? Normal preparation, suffice to say you would most likely remove the 18" for serious offroad use?

To answer the other question on price was as follows:
VX Petrol with Towbar, Tint & Mats Drive Away $81,400.00

Now there needs to be a further $2.5k added for price rise and most likely another $2k for the updated model if we choose (Wife's Vehicle)
FollowupID: 631138

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:49

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:49
Hi Ino, LOL!
I worry about the Microsoft blue-screen-of-death appearing on the dashboard! That USB port should account for the 2.5k increase in price.

But seriously, a salesman would be over the moon to see a customer walk in wanting to buy two vehicles, not one.
If you're not trading, they are willing to talk big-time. Even Toyota are suffering at the moment. If they're the only dealer in town, try another town, it'll be worth the drive.
cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 631142

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:48

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:48
Being in the computer industry my whole life I must concur with the USB LOL's..!

Blue screen of death, and wouldn't that be nice, USB vehicle driver updates to the ECU and performance chip.!

On the inclusion of a USB port what do you suspect it's use to be:

1. USB Power Port Only (No input to the stereo etc) or..

2. USB input into the stereo so you could have music on your USB stick (MP3's) etc etc.?

FollowupID: 631148

Reply By: Warstar - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:10

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:10
Interesting that they make those modifications to the VX, but still go with the piddling fuel tank!
AnswerID: 363488

Reply By: cobber - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 16:38

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 16:38
Did I read it correct, the latest 200 series Landcruiser hasn't got a 12v accessory's socket in the rear? but they are going to put one in the upgrade!..........bit rude seeing I got one in the 100 series
AnswerID: 363501

Follow Up By: Horacehighroller - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 18:34

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 18:34
Re: "bit rude"

My 1990 80 series had; manual throttle,
separate fan & heater for rear passengers.
mirror on rear of passenger sunvisor.

My HZJ 105 GXL has non of these.

Toyota continue to go backwards with each new model!

Peter
FollowupID: 631193

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 18:48

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 18:48
Why does everyone get so hung up on no cigarette socket in the rear.

Every 4wd I have ever had uses a cheap socket and 1mm wire that is no good for a fridge and it is wired up to the accessories anyway. You end up replacing

1)The entire run of wire
2)The connection to a aux battery and fuse
3)The socket with a decent Hella socket

So all you use is the hole, and half the time that is too big for the Hella plugs so you have to find a way to make it look good.

It is much better to start with a blank sheet then you can even put it in the side you want.
FollowupID: 631197

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 19:12

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 19:12
This just through from another Toyota dealer, it appears some models will now only be 7 seats. The 3rd row is being converted to 2 seats and a utility box/drink holder in the middle. Not sure if this reads all Petrol models will retain 8 seats, diesel 7 seats.? Confused by the format a little below.?

Further to our conversation this morning, please find below a summary of the changes occurring to the 200 Series from July production (August arrival):

Spec Change Grade Applicability
12V rear accessory socket ALL
USB (input and operation) ALL
Mechanical driver’s seat height & power lumbar
adjustment GXL
Front seat back map pockets GXL
Audio controls on steering wheel GXL & VX
Rear camera & 4.3” display audio GXL & VX
18” alloy wheels VX & Sahara
Dark grey privacy glass (from green) VX & Sahara
CRAWL control Diesel models
DVD rear seat entertainment Sahara
3.5mm audio input jack (GXL & VX already equipped) Sahara
7 seat variant VX & Sahara T/D

Land Cruiser 200 series features 8-seat capacity on all Petrol models, all T/D GXL as
well as all T/D VX & Sahara option packs. VX and Sahara come with 7 seats as
standard from July ’09 technical change.

GXL front seats are manual operation slide with backrest tilt but will now include
driver’s height and incorporate power lumbar adjustment.

From July ’09 technical change, VX and Sahara will come standard with 7 seats. This is
achieved by replacing the 3rd row middle seat with a small utility box (featuring bottle
holder) and removing the lap sash seat belt.

Steering Wheel & Gear Shift Lever
VX – 4-spoke leather steering wheel with control switches for in dash multi-information
display & audio. The gear shift lever is also leather covered.

Audio System
GXL/VX –
4.3” display screen, 6 disc in-dash CD player with MP3
capability, USB input with iPod control, 3.5mm audio input jack,
Bluetooth hands free and Bluetooth audio streaming capability
(PIO fit).
The newly adopted rear camera will appear on 4.3” display
screen when reverse is selected.
AnswerID: 363538

Sponsored Links