Wapet Track

Submitted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 13:40
ThreadID: 68664 Views:2352 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody advise on west of Lake Auld, we are heading across after the 17th June and are undecided whether to go via Punmu and a side visit to Rudall River NP. There will be two Prados towing Aussie Swags and we have done Coburg and the top end so have had experience with rough trips.Can we get into the National Park from the Telfer gate end and what is the road like.
Any information would be much appreciated

Regard
TTD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Margaret & Roy - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:06

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:06
Hi TTD, We are heading to the coburg Peninsular in July this year, also towing an Aussie Swag, can you give us any info on the roads into and on Coburg, any info will be greatly appreciated
AnswerID: 364004

Follow Up By: TTD - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 21:03

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 21:03
Margaret & Roy

The road from Jabru to Coburg is pretty good if it is dry and you get the timing right for the Charille crossing right. The biggest issue we had was the on comming traffic at speed on the loose stones. The other issue now with the store at Black Point closed will be having enough fuel for the return trip. A great place to visit though and good facilities

Regards

TTD
FollowupID: 631767

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:44

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:44
Cahill Crossing?
FollowupID: 631889

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:24

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:24
TTD, as of May last year, Telfer were intending to change the position of their security gate so that tourists going south to Rudall did not ned to go through it. That said, there is no problem going through anyhw. It is a public road.
The road west from Punmu has been quite OK (for us) when we have used it (last in May '08).
The road south via Telfer to Rudall was washed out somewhat in '05, but not enough to give you grief. Would have had some work on it since then.
There is NextG reception from the top of the hill north of Telfer on the Punmu road.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 364005

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:41

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:41
The wapet west of Lake Auld is usually in good condition bar the odd corrugation and rocky patch usually worst round the communities due to extra traffic. The road south from Telfer is quite sandy and see's a fair bit of use from the locals heading between Parnngurr and Punmu. You should have no problems just let your tyres down to accomodate the loose sand. Sand is more apparent south of Moses Chair. Be aware that the top hand pump had been hijacked by a geosurvey mob as of July last year. They may have gone. The bottom handpump was producing rancid, undrinkable water. I'll be in Rudall myself from the 29th June for 10 days or so.

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 364010

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 18:33

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 18:33
Hi Mick,

Yes the survey crew has gone. They were packing as we cam through last August and were very generous with their excess supplies. So the bore should be ok again.

We'll also be back in Rudall again soon but we're heading to the Kimberley this year.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 631730

Follow Up By: TTD - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 21:11

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 21:11
Mick O(Vic)

Thanks for you information, I have read all you blogs and that is the main reason for the indecision and the deviation into Rudall NP
We are based in Aspendale and would would like to have chat if possible before we head off if that is ok.

Thanks

Regards

TTD
FollowupID: 631771

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:57

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:57
TTD,

send me some details to mickolsen13@hotmail.com and I'll get back to you. I'm in Ringwood.

Cheers Mick O
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631877

Sponsored Links