Holden Warranty

Submitted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:20
ThreadID: 68665 Views:3123 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
2nd youngest bought a late Holden 2007 Adventura AWD LX6 from the local Dealer.

He's only done about 2000 km's since purchase and so far it's been quite good.

It has remainder New Car warranty for another 6 months or so.

Couple days ago he goes to fuel up at the servo - and when finnished, he turns to hang up the fuel nozze, on the bowser, inadvertantly lightly bumping the fuel filler cap cover with his hip.

The fuel cap cover hinge made of plastic breaks, and the cover falls on the ground.

Now - anyone can get to his fuel cap and remove it and siphon fuel.

Pops in to see Holden dealer about a warranty claim - but because he was honest and said he did bump the cap slightly with his hip while turning to replace the nozzel - they say it is not covered under 'warranty' and he has to pay more than $100 for a new cover plus cost of having it sent out to be painted to match.

Is this normal?

The hinge is plastic and very very thin, prone to breakage, when you look at it and seems to be an integral part of the cover - you cannot just replace the hinge which would make a lot more sense - it is moulded into the cover metal exterior - thus requiring a whole new colour matched rep[lacement component.

I dunno - seems a bit rough to me - but in these days of depression / recession I guess warrantys aren't worth the paper they are written on anyway.

Shame coz the dealerships about 150 yards from home and the familys in the market for another 2 cars (one for the missus and one for the now 18 year old daughter).

I wonder if dealers realise their warranty / spares / service department lose them a heck of a LOT of future car sales thru their treatement of existing customers.

Do I go and bang a fist on the counter to get satisfaction or like most Aussies, suck it up and pay the $100+ & vote with our feet and just buy the next 2 cars elsewhere?

Anyone?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:26

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:26
You want them to fix "Under Warranty" something that you have admitted was caused by your Son and is in no way even close to a warranty claim.

Get a grip and pay for the replacement like everyone else would.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 364006

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 16:11

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 16:11
I agree kev, not sure what part of this a warranty claim?

Josh
FollowupID: 631694

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 17:00

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 17:00
I'm with you, it seems as if no one wants to take the blame, it must be some body else's fault.

Cheers Scoof. :-)
FollowupID: 631702

Follow Up By: donks1 - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:22

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:22
Hi all

We had a guy come in the other day wanting a new badge for his camry under warranty. when asked why? he told us that "he" broke it when he took it off to clean it.
I suppose it comes to "if you don't ask, you won't get"

Definately not warranty, deal with it.

Donks1
FollowupID: 631758

Reply By: DesF - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:35

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:35
Hi, Sorry to hear of your trouble , but neighbour has an earlier Commadore and his wife did the same thing at the servo, and it just cost him $600.00 for the cap and paint job , his car is white and they still had to paint the whole corner. I guess if you have metalic it will be a bit more .
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 364008

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 17:08

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 17:08
Would say you got taken for a ride so to speak.
I had a rear bumper damaged on a white Berlina and they took the petrol cover for a match. Didnt paint anything else and it matched perfectly.
Also when I bought it at auction it had scrapes on the bonnet and a mirror back and one door.
The painter touched it all up for $200 cash and 40,000 later you still cant see it and he never painted whole panels.
All down to the ability of who does it I think.

Same guy does the buses where I worked and can touch up no trouble and they were all white and usually each one was a different white as well as were different makes.

FollowupID: 631703

Follow Up By: anglepole - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 09:56

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 09:56
I would not imagine such a breakage would be covered by warranty, but I believe the dealer should show a bit of good will and sell it at trade or staff price.

As for painting, many accessory shops will mix up the matching paint and place it in an aerosol can for a reasonable cost. OK for a small job like that.

The irony of New Car Dealers is many will bleed you dry at the service department for what is often sub standard work and not "bat an eye lid".

One Holden Dealer I used for a while , you had to book in for a service and make another booking the next day to send it back to have shoddy workmanship rectified.
FollowupID: 631800

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:41

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:41
Would you also expect the dealer to discount a bumper and a guard because some one was a bit careless and bumped the gatepost backing out of the yard.
The wrecker is a good idea as there are plenty of hoon cars in there.
Probably the tank cover will be the only good bit by the look of some. LOL

Autobarn mix cans of paint for about $25.

Cheers
FollowupID: 631809

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 15:03

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 15:03
Flywest,

It is a good thing that the sales people don't talk to the service department.

I would go ahead and buy the two other vehicles from the same dealership but make sure you get at least $100 off the asking price, that will teach them.

Wayne
AnswerID: 364012

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 15:52

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 15:52
Bad luck about the cap - also bad design as a lot of things on cars these days.

I would agree that it is not a warranty claim though. Good suggestion above, get a big discount on your new cars. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 364014

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 16:13

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 16:13
Suggest that you advise your son to buy a locking cap and put it onto the petrol filler. The plastic flaps are easily broken (as you've discovered) and are no barrier to petrol thieves.
AnswerID: 364018

Reply By: toyocrusa - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:01

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:01
Hi.If the hinge broke at the point where it joins the flap you should be able to stick it back with a good quality "superglue" Locktite make one. Regards,Bob.
AnswerID: 364064

Reply By: Wherehegon - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:09

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:09
Hi Flywest, while I agree with the flap been a bit flimsy, we had ours for 5 years and never had any issues, he obviously knocked it back towards the front of the vehicle to break it, even though they are plastic they are quit flexible. He's obviously a very honest bloke (you should be proud) by telling the dealer he did knock it but I wouldnt expect them to pay for his error. Mate there a million commodores in wrecking yards and might even be lucky enough to get one the same colour, my mate just picked up a rear bar for his VY commodore for $100 and was the same colour. ........WHG
AnswerID: 364068

Reply By: Member - Paul W- Esq (VIC) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 21:15

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 21:15
We have the same vehicle and i do agree they are flimsy, wreckers is probably the best bet, try looking for commodore wreckers. the VX,VY and VZ caps and WH,WK and WL stato and caprices are also the same.give you a bit more of a range to find.
AnswerID: 364213

Reply By: Flywest - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:39

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:39
Hi all & thanks for the opinions.

Yes he's too honest for his own good somertimes, & he already paid upfront for the new one, when he ordered it last week.
(And yes I'm usually pretty proud of him).

It is a VERY flimsy design of hinge - the plastic isn't even 1 mm thick where it broke - I was in the car when he bumped it and never felt anything - it really was just the slightest bump with his hip as he turned to hang up the nozzel - probably could and does happen to a lot of folks I would guess.

The design or whatever in my opinion is deficient - but fair enough - if poor workmanship design / material isn't warrantable - then so be it.

The vehicle has been great so far - this has been the only slight hitch so far - along with a dicky electric wondow buttton on a rear door which is on for warranty repair next week.

He still seems pretty happy with it at this point in time - the real proof will be in another 5 years time when he finnishes payng for it!

Cheers & thanks again
AnswerID: 364227

Reply By: Flywest - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 01:02

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 01:02
Just a small addendum....

Fueling up is something that with every car must happen probably weekly, & for some large distance folks (travelling sales folks etc) daily, for the life of the car - maybe 20 years in some cases - but at least 10 years (which is when they stip making OEM spare parts) by my understanding.

The chances of somone "bumping" the fuel cover with a nozzel or their hip in that time and frequency of use is high, IMHO, and as a result the door hatch cover call it what you will should be designed and built to handle the expected rigours, of such frequent use.

I don't believe this one is - it is so flimsy as to be laughable.

I checked my ford (2004 built) fuel door today - and yep - steel hinge - not plastic 1 mm thick at best!

Ido believe theres a design / construction, "materials fault to this component and that it should be warranted for the warranty period of the vehicle for parts and labor as the rest of the vehicle is.

If you bump your door lightly with your hip when getting in, and it falls off in the driveway - surely no one is going to suggest "thats OK" and the vehicle is of "merchantable quality" and fit for sale for it's intended end use.

I don't believe - looking at this thin plastic hinge moulding that it is of "merchantable quality" or fit for it's intended use!

If you even touched it with the fuel nozzel while aiming for the filler tube - it would likely fall off....

It is simply too flimsy IMHO for the ease with which it fell off!

It is possible it had been broken before maybe by the original owner and glued back - accounting for how easily it fell off this time?.

I have no way of telling.

I don't think the "you bumped it you broke it you pay for it" sentiment is warranted here is all!

If the kid was a doofus and gave it the good ol hip n shoulder bump - then yes I'd agree with the posted sentiments, but truthfully - the way this fell off a good fart up wind would have done it! ;o)

Something don't add up here!

Gonna take a few close up photos of the broken hinge tomorrow so you folks can see what I'm saying - flimsy is being generous when describing the manufacture of this particular component.

See where it goes I guess!

Cheers
AnswerID: 364237

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 06:47

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 06:47
"surely no one is going to suggest "thats OK" and the vehicle is of "merchantable quality" and fit for sale for it's intended end use."

How about you start reading some of the 3.0L ZD30 threads and ask some Missan owners about what is and isn't Merchantable quality, as Missan still fal to stand by the Grenade motor.

The hinge broke due to your son hitting it, get over it or go buy some cheese.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 631929

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 12:53

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 12:53
Get over it & buy a new one, then tell your son to be more careful in the future!
FollowupID: 631972

Sponsored Links