Film based on Murders in the WA's Murchsion District

Submitted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 06:02
ThreadID: 68683 Views:3963 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

The Murchison area in WA is a great 4Wd destination with much history and many old ghost towns and gold diggings to explore. The Number 1 Rabbit Proof Fence surveyed by Alf Canning (yes he also did the CSR) runs through it. Here is an extract from You Tube:

You might be interested to check out the behind the scenes mini doco for "3 Acts of Murder"

It's in 5 parts, so here's the first one....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z92BbllZUQ

PS It will be screening on ABC1 mid June, date to be announced shortly.

3 ACTS OF MURDER - Just because you give someone an idea for a murder, does that make you responsible for the crime?

Crime writer Arthur Upfield believed he was looking for the perfect plot. But when his friend, Snowy Rowles, used the same idea to murder 3 men, Upfield is forced to confront his own role in their deaths.
Set in the early years of the Great Depression, this is the true story of two men whose chance conversation takes their lives down very different paths.
Arthur Upfield went on to become one of Australia’s most successful crime writers, profiting from the publicity surrounding the murder trial.
Snowy Rowles was found guilty and executed at the age of 26.
Written by Ian David (Blue Murder), directed by Rowan Woods (The Boys), and produced by Sue Taylor (The Shark Net) /3 Acts of Murder/ explores the culpability of the creator when a fictional crime becomes a fatal reality.

Arthur Upfield’s book was titled ‘Sands on Windee’. Another book Murder on the Rabbit Proof Fence, by Terry Walker, will also provide great background to this fascinating story.

Few people realise that Arthur Upfield was working as a boundary rider on the RPF at the time. Writers didn’t get paid much back then – actually nothing has changed only the very lucky ones do nowadays.

I suspect once the series is shown on TV interest by travellers in that part of the Murchison will significantly increase.

Cheers

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:24

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:24
I hate to be "picky" but Narndee Station is a long way south of the Murchison. But I do know that the Shire of Sandstone is desperate for visitors.
Regards
Brian
AnswerID: 364116

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:03

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:03
Hi Brian,

I think 'we' are getting our Murchisons mixed up.

I am talking about the Murchison Goldfields district I think you are talking about the Murchison Shire. Vastly different.

cheers

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631814

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 12:22

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 12:22
Narndee Station (HS) is in the Yalgoo Mineral Field but only 25km west of the East Murchsion MF, the rabbit proof fence being the boundary in this area. Close enough alright.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631825

Follow Up By: Member - John L (WA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 13:23

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 13:23
Many of us who grew up near the Rabbit Proof Fence loved Arthur Upfields books - my Dad knew him back in the depression. The fence started at Burracoppin and was built both north & south from there. Read 'Mr Jolly's Business' which is set in Burracoppin - after I read this as a young teenager I couldn't walk past a haystack without a shiver! Cheers Heather
FollowupID: 631835

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 13:56

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 13:56
The story of the Snowy Rowles and the 'perfect' murder is on display in the Shire of Sandstone.

Sandstone was the big surprise of our trip - a delightful tiny town in a big Shire with a population of 116 people. We intended to stay one night, and stayed three days, only moving on to pick up a parcel at mt Magnet. The Shire owned CP was the best CP of the trip.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631845

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:22

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:22
I stand corrected. But no, I was not referring to the Murchison Shire. I really thought that if anything Narndee would have been in the Mt. Magnet district.
I know Terry Walker very well and have read his book.
I was a personal friend of Frank Manning who gave me all the evidential photographs presented at the trial of Smith. Frank's father was Detective-Sergeant Henry John Manning, the police officer in charge of the investigation.
Anyone intersted in a copy of the photographs can have them for the cost of postage.
I am in the phone book, but will be away all this coning week..
Brian Purdue
AnswerID: 364196

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 01:10

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 01:10
Hello - you may be confusing Mineral Fields, Districts and controlling Registrars. As mentioned Narndee is in the the Yalgoo MF but is administerd by the Mount Magnet mining registrar. It does get a bit confusing - some mineral fields are administered by different registrars depending where in the mineral field you are located. Not sure how they have defined boundaries.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631922

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 08:27

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 08:27
Many thanks to all for suggestions as to my error. Looking back I note that I wrote "the Murchison" "The Murchison" is generally ascribed as being the River. That was my intent. The Murchison has its headwaters well to the north-north east of Cue near the old Bilyuin Hotel ruins. That is about 60 miles from the scene of the murder which Terry Walker better defines as "Murder on the Rabbit-proof Fence".
Kind regards
Brian Purdue
FollowupID: 631938

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 00:22

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 00:22
AnswerID: 364236

Sponsored Links