Storing car in Rodent prone areas - Damage solutions?

Submitted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:38
ThreadID: 68686 Views:4485 Replies:7 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Living in an area prone to Rats & Mice infestations can be a bit hard on the vehicle. Just found a big hole in the bonnet lining. Rats had set up home. I have heard they can do quite some damage to electrical wiring etc.

It was not a problem when I was using the vehicle daily, but as I now have a work car mine stays in the shed during the week. Thus giving opportunity for the rodents.

At this time Ratsack placed around the shed is what I am using, but it is not a solution I like. Seems there are less crows around this week, maybe from eating mice/rats that were a bit off colour?

Anyone found another way of keeping them out of the vehicle? Cheers Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wild dog - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:48

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:48
I can relate to what you're saying, camped for a week at Woodgate National Park without moving the V8 Hilux we had.
On lifting the bonnet before moving out we found a rats nest beside the battery and a pile of nesting material assembled on the inlet manifold.

A friends daughter had to cough up $600 to get wiring and emmission control tubing replaced after rat damage and that was in Brisbane.

We've been using Tom Cat rat blocks and haven't noticed any effect on the wildlife that predate on things like rats.
AnswerID: 364120

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:57

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:57
Its the half chewed wire I was thinking off, way out bush and then a short! I got a bit worried about the wildlife when we found a couple of dying mice out on the driveway in the open. I would say that there would be casualties that we did not want to create.

The blocks would create the same result I think. Thanks for that, Regards Tony
FollowupID: 631811

Reply By: dags666 - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:55

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:55
we live across the road from paddocks and winter time the mice come into get warm, my wife got sick from the little buggers.so we sprayed listerene yeah the mouth wash arond the house have not had one in for over 12 months. maybe you can try this. Dags
AnswerID: 364121

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:01

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:01
Listerene - Very Interesting. :-) As you said it may be worth a try. There is some stored in a cupboard here somewhere. Ta Regards Tony
FollowupID: 631812

Follow Up By: Horacehighroller - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:22

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:22
I've been told that Listerene is also a good insect repellent (in place of Aerogard).

Haven't tried it so can't comment further.

Peter
FollowupID: 631818

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 12:03

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 12:03
Mrs Bushwhacker heard about Listerene as fly spray/repellant, tried spraying it around the door of the CT,,, worked a treat.Whacker
FollowupID: 631822

Follow Up By: willgethere - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:19

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:19
Hi, we have a mice plague at the moment i am interested in your use of listerene. Did you dilute it at all and what areas did you spray?
FollowupID: 631879

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:20

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:20
We diluted 50/50, and used no-name mouthwash (smells the same). Sprayed it around camper door areas, kept the flies at bay. Dunno about mice though, 'Whacker
FollowupID: 631886

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:57

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:57
Tony & Julie

one of the ways you can deter them is leave your bonnet fully open.they like to hide in dark areas so by leaving it up it should deter them,cheers.
AnswerID: 364122

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 09:06

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 09:06
Bush rats are a big problem around where I live, which is after all 'in the bush'. Our neighbour blew a motor due to overheating caused by rats eating wires & rubber.

As Mark says "leave your bonnet fully open". That's what we do and it works well enough.

If we have the bonnet down & don't use the car for a couple of days you can bet that they will start moving in and making a nest with leaves, straw & twigs, which are a real fire hazzard.

The mouthwash idea sounds interesting but I can attest that their teeth & gums are pretty healthy.

FollowupID: 631797

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:11

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:11
Mark & Wayne. Thanks for that! Yes I will have to resort to that method I would say. Did think of it but why I have not to date is more due to our weather. It rains most of the year where I live and we are up in the clouds as well. If you stand still moss grows down your side. Anything left uncovered seems to get a green film over it :-) thus bonnet closed. Will have to reorganize the shed to get the car further into the protected zone.

There is always good and bad points for where you live :-). Regards Tony
FollowupID: 631815

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 09:11

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 09:11
Good bait stations, and keep them maintained. Ratsack has been rat food. Plenty of other options, Talon wax blocks work as do the Mortein throw packs. Keep away from your dog though.
AnswerID: 364126

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:16

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:16
Ta John. It was when I found dying mice and rats on the ground outside the shed that I started thinking of the birds that would like the opportunity to partake of an easy meal.

The bait stations are disappearing on a daily basis, but they are showing signs of slowing down the feeding rate. Regards TONY
FollowupID: 631816

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:57

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:57
Tony, I guess they didn't die in your walls or ceiling though which is a major plus. Being small they bury easily or even flush. They would tend to enhance the bacterial flora in effluent situation.

I would worry about birds somewhat, but having seen plenty of rabbits after 1080 and no visible bird consequence, the bird observer in me will watch for that. Sparrows, starlings, blackbirds and Indian Miners are different though...............
FollowupID: 631821

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:14

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:14
Yes, I had a problem with mice whilst camped at Thomas River, east of Esperance about 3 years ago. Apart from the hoards crawling through the tent, all our gear, etc, they got into the car, and were chewing the polystyrene in the air cond plenum. Lots of white detritus coming out of the vents! When they tried to exit the locked wagon, they chewed through the back door rubbers. One stayed in the car all the way back to Perth. Over a few days the stink got worse, and I had to buy a mouse trap to get it out of the car. $170 for a new door rubber - I guess I was lucky compared with some of the stories above!
Gerry
AnswerID: 364132

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:27

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:27
Thanks Joc45 - I was hoping someone had devised a vehicle protection plan! Guess it is poison and traps. The bonnet up method may save the engine compartment though!

As we have a yearly problem in the house we have those balancing tunnel traps and the bait of choice is peanut paste. When trapped they go to sleep in the freezer.

Its damage you can do without and money you do not like to spend to fix it all! regards Tony

FollowupID: 631819

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 15:57

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 15:57
Hi Tony, yeh, we use the balancing tunnel traps for mice, and like you have discovered that peanut paste works well. This is the only stuff that super-cunning rats will go for at home. Mix it with Bromokil and they can't resist it, whereas they won't go near Ratsak or Bromokil tablets on their own.
On my wagon, the mice also chewed thru the foam seal around the radiator, but fortunately left the electrical wiring alone. But at least the new rear door seal I replaced is of later design, and keeps out the dust better!
When I'm camping, the food box is on runners, seals well, and stays in the wagon. Other odds and sods I put in the zip-up annexe of the tent, away from marauding vermin. I once left the food box out on the ground, and by morning, I found ants had found their way thru the small gaps, and being up north, they were not interested in sugary things, only cereals and bread.
cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 631858

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 16:25

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 16:25
Gerry. Nice rig you have & that is a bumpy Tablelands Track - Were is that located? Your photos suggest you have been to some great places :-). Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 631862

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:17

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:17
Hi Tony,
The Tableland Track is in the Kimberley - described in Ron Moon's Kimberley book. Did it back in 2001. It runs south of the Gibb River Road roughly from Glenroy Station (Old Mornington Road) on the west end, eastwards through Tableland Station, Teronis Gorge in the Durack Range, Mt Bedford Downs Station, then through to the highway between Turkey Creek and Halls Creek. Fairly easy, but Teronis Gorge is a bit bumpy and there was a boggy patch going thru Durack Range. The photo was taken not far before the boggy section crossing the Durack Ranges. A great drive, tho, lots of great scenery, and Teronis Gorge was great. I thought it had been closed off by station owners, but it was done by some friends middle of last year no probs.
Cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 631869

Follow Up By: Member - Cookie & Di - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 20:02

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 20:02
We just got back from 4 days at Thomas River & obviously nothing has changed in 3 years, I even had them on my pillow.And our bed is 2 metres off the ground.
FollowupID: 631894

Reply By: Travelling Pixie - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:01

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:01
how about parking the four wheels each in a tray of some solution or powder that would not affect the tyres, say some sort of poison, so that they couldn't climb up the wheels, which i assume is the only way they would get up in the first place
AnswerID: 364167

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 09:59

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 09:59
They usually just climb up ropes, poles or the tent walls, anything that touches the ground.
AnswerID: 364257

Sponsored Links