suspension on 1998 prado

Submitted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 21:18
ThreadID: 68707 Views:3488 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone suggest what type of replacement shock absorbers I should get for my 1998 prado.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 21:31

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 21:31
Cheapest option is to go down to your Toyota dealer. Last time I priced them, they were considerable cheaper than aftermarket. I found them reliable on the rough bush trips - and the front lower bushes didn't stuff up like many aftremarket front struts.
AnswerID: 364215

Reply By: Wherehegon - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:29

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:29
I had OME (Old Man Emu) 2 inch lift shocks/struts/springs, was done by ARB $1500 supply and fit. I found them to be a bit hard when not loaded but great with a load. I have since driven a 2001 prado with Bilstein (spelling) King springs, found the vehicle to drive that bit softer then mine did which I liked, what there like with a load I cant comment. They are a lot dearer then most. Have been reading into EFS stuff. Not sure what Im going to put into mine yet. If you are looking for a lift then you will have to replace shocks springs but if the original Toyota ones are just stuffed and your not looking at needing a lift then as mentioned above and just replace with Toyota ones...WHG
AnswerID: 364226

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:03

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:03
I ran with about 30mm lift at the front and 50mm lift at the rear and kept the standard 90series shocks. The downward movement of the front is limited by the swaybar, not the struts, so changing them won't change anything. Rears will get better articulation with long travel shocks, but Toyota shocks were $60 each a few years back and I found them reliable on the rough corrugated roads and desert travel.
FollowupID: 632078

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 22:05

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 22:05
Thanks for that Phil, so really the only gain I will be getting at the front will be extra ground clearance with new springs but nothing in the travel department ?? Im suprised Toyota struts (up front) are so cheap. I had 2 inch lift put in old prado gave me 35 at the front and 50 at the rear but that was before I put the steel bar on the front so probably was exactly the same as yours. Will price the front struts tomorrow for mine, king springs all round and not sure what brand shocks in the rear. I like the Bilstein but can get EFS for half the price but havnt been able to find any feedback with people having them fitted to the prado's, heaps with patrols cruisers and the feed back on them seemed quit good..........WHG
FollowupID: 632086

Reply By: Member - Des - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 10:04

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 10:04
We got Tough Dog suspension with adjustable shocks on our 95 series Prado. About $1500 fitted from OL in Nov 2008. Have been very happy with them. (I probably don't crawl around and adjust the shocks as much as I did at the start, but it is worth doing especially when fully loaded.)

The Prado had about 140,000km on the clock when we got them and hadn't had a hard life. I was amazed at the lift - about 80mm in rear, which suggested that the old ones had sagged about 30mm. Apart from the huge benefits off-road, the improvement in on-road handling (including reduction in body roll) is marked. I imagine that would be true of most replacement suspensions, but I can only speak of my own experience.
AnswerID: 364624

Sponsored Links