My NOT Mungo trip

Submitted: Monday, May 11, 2009 at 14:59
ThreadID: 68725 Views:2795 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am just posting so I can have a bit of a whinge.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about going to Mungo.

Well I packed the car with all the gear I reckon I would need and then added twice as much gear I probably would not need Before going I thought I had better ring Balranald tourist office to see what the weather was like as was VERY cold at home (Canberra).

Unfortunately the roads were closed due to rain and were not expected to even be considered to be opened till the end of the week.

Being flexible and feeling the cold we made a snap decision and decided to go to Noosa. We traveled in land and the nights were VERY cold in the camper. One place that stood out was Narrabri. We only stayed overnight but will go back one day as there appears to a fair bit to do there.

We made Noosa and one observation is that place does not cater very well for camping. However we did find a good place - a Big 4 in Bouganville which is out of the Noosa/Sunshine coast area, We only saw two other camp areas.

Well Noosa was warmer but rained the whole bloody time. We did not see sun again until we vistited my daughter in Brisbane and then my son in Coffs.

The other negative is that as it was so cold at night SWMBO has gone off the camper (which has a canvas top) and we are looking for an upgrade.

So to summarise my gripe I had a lousy holiday, missed seeing yet another of the places I wanted to go and may have to shell out lots of dollars in upgrading to a better camper/caravan.

If you have read this far thanks for listening to my griping , if not and just read the last line you have not missed out on any thing go to another thread :)

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Johnny boy - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 15:04

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 15:04
I like ya ,YOUR FUNNY !!!
AnswerID: 364309

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 15:46

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 15:46
This is a good example of why you join a forum. There are several very good camping areas in the hinterland from Noosa. Not well known because our tourist people seem to think that tourists only travel by aeroplane. If you had asked you may even have been able to get away from the rain without travelling very far. The area chosen by our State Govt for a new dam gets far less rain than Noosa and there are some lovely spots around there. They may not be there when you come again if the dam is built and filled.

Narrabri is certainly worth a look and they do cater for campers although it can be b........y cold in winter.

The Array (telescopes) and My Kaputar along with the Sawn Rocks. Good stuff. Don't remember the name but there is a good camp site on a dam out towards Wee Waa.

Agree it is a bit hard to heat or air condition a tent which is why we upgraded to a van but sometimes we miss the camper for access to good spots.

Sorry you had a crap trip.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 364316

Follow Up By: richard - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:18

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:18
Kevin,
The change to go to noosa instead of mungo was made very quickly.

I must admit I had wrongly expected there to be camping areas up that way like most of the Eastern Coast line.

It does appear Noosa and the likes are appealing to a different type of tourist - those with lots of money and want to go shopping all day as the beach area is not that good compared to other areas. Don't get me wrong it would be a fun place if that is what you wanted. It had been a very long time since we went up there. We had a number of good hols when the kids were younger and the place was less crowded.

Before going that way again I will do a bit more research - but doubt i will return to noosa for an extended stay again as to many other good places.

Richard

FollowupID: 631999

Reply By: Gramps - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:46

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:46
LOL sure your name is not Basil :))) It'll turn out OK in the long run.

AnswerID: 364325

Follow Up By: richard - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:57

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 16:57
Gramps,
I think when you have time a couple of weeks of rain does not phase you as much but when it is for the most of your holiday - given the disappointment of missing Mungo (not for the first time either) it is a pain.

I have passed the retirement age but am hanging in there till i get enough courage to make the break - then i can just enjoy the rain as yet another experience or go and wait around the Mungo area or the likes till I can get in. ---- very soooon!

Richard
PS by the way rain or no rain I did enjoy getting away :)
FollowupID: 632005

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 17:11

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 17:11
Richard,

I feel your pain :) We had our visit to Mungo curtailed by rain as well, last year. We will be going back at some stage.

Probably a good idea to work as long as you can in the current economic climate. Especially if upgraded accommodation is on the radar :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed getting away. It's now one of those experiences you can look back on and laugh about.

FollowupID: 632010

Follow Up By: furph - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:42

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:42
Richard, as the post progressed I could see your crankiness dissipating.
Yep, we all set orf, or about to set orf, only to find weather or other conditions not allowing what was initially intended.
Happens all the time, just go ahead and do it, mostly its only a few days, the crust has formed and away you go again.
Access to our site in W. Qld. entails crossing an 8km. clay pan (also 3km. wide)
There have been occassions when coming back from a shopping trip, would you believe it but a skinny little cloud has dropped about 1mm of rain in about a 1km. wide band.
Makes for an enjoyable (just on dark) walk of up to 4km back to camp.
The missus carries the shopping (well, some), I carry the wine cask.
Its life mate, and its great.
Can visualise you feeling better already!
furph
FollowupID: 632043

Follow Up By: richard - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:58

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:58
Furph,
Yep feeling better - why I posted. I think everyone has a story like this (I have many others as well).

We are planning the big trip around OZ in the next few years and even though we have had the camper for 5-6 years we had not struck the continual rain and cold as in this trip before.

What it has indicated to us is that we do want a bit more comfort and protection from in our camper - whether that is a caravan or a better camper I am not sure yet.

So all not lost and I should just look forward to the next one :).

I reckon I could do Mungo in a 4-5 day trip so hopefully sometime this year

Thanks all, for letting me have my rave,
Richard
FollowupID: 632051

Reply By: happytravelers - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:20

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:20
Sorry your holiday didn't turn out as expected, we have had a lot of rain on the Sunshine coast over the last few weeks which was not what you were looking for, never could work out why it was called the Sunshine coast with all the rain we get. You say you stayed at the big 4 Bouganvillia caravan park, I wouldn't say it was out of the area, I live just across the road from that park and it's only 4km's into Noosaville or Tewantin.
If it's any consolation, we were planning a trip down to Canberra in our camper for last month but decided it would be too cold, so have put it off until October.
Regards Jon
AnswerID: 364388

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:56

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:56
Look on the bright side Richard, you could have made your trip into Mungo, THEN it rained.

100 kms from civilisation then, and 70 kms to the nearest bitumen.

Your lucky you didn't make it in there before the rain.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 364398

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 08:03

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 08:03
Good point about Noosa, suppose that's why we haven't been there for 30 years.

I always reckon when it is that cold, it is a good chance for a cuddle without too many complaints about the snoring. :o)
AnswerID: 364425

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:16

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:16
Very, VERY, sorry to hear you had a crap holiday, and the weather on the NORTHERN ISLAND wasn't kind to you, and it spoilt your holiday, may be it's about time some people on the NORTHERN ISLAND stopped complaining about the weather in Tassie.
It just goes to prove that you can get crap weather where ever you go.
Cheers
from sunny Tassie
All said with tongue in cheek.LOL
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 364434

Sponsored Links