Open Slather on a EO Mate

Submitted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:07
ThreadID: 68745 Views:4211 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Ever since reading (and laughing) about the goings on down the Eyre Peninsula way between Lucy and Roachie, I have been waiting for the opportunity to share a goofball story with you all. Recently my mate Bob has given me the perfect opportunity.

I was on a business trip in NQ and pulled into a rest area late one night and what should I see, a big silver F Truck with a nice new Adventure camper on the back. I said "I know that truck" but it was late so I left it till the morning to say G'Day. Once we had re-acquainted ourselves again (it has been a few months since we have seen each other) and shared a few stories on what we had each been up to, I had to go back to work and vowed to catch up with Bob and his wife Robyn (who Bob was picking up from Cairns airport that day) before I left Cairns. I knew from our chat that Bob was heading further north from Cairns but would be back to put Robyn back on a plane from Cairns in a weeks time. Anyway, before my trip was to take me southbound again, I give Bob a call on his mobile. Out of range was the response I got, hmmm that's strange, they should be back by now I thought but left my message and hoped for a return call from Bob before I left Cairns. The next night, I was woofing dinner down a local Cairns hotel and the call came in, "Hey it's Bob how ya goin?" I said good mate I'll come and see you, save driving that big truck of yours around Cairns. When I got to Bob's resort accomadation I see a big F Truck with mud all up the side and a winch cable strapped ominously around the bullbar as though he was using it so much that it wasn't worth winding back in after each use. "Geez it didn't take you long to find some fun" I said..."It's a long story" is all I got out of Bob "I'll tell you it all when we get upstairs" he proceeded to mumble. Upstairs I finally got to see and say G'day to Robyn (again it had been a while since I had seen her too) she said "I could have used your help yesterday, has Bob told you yet?" I shrugged and said "No tell me what has happened".

Bob had decided to take his lovely wife to Lakefield National Park north of Cooktown for a couple of days. The park is still quite soggy and parts of it still closed from the wet. Bob and Robyn had a lot of fun exploring the wetlands and what have you up that way until Bob took a small track down to an isolated camp spot. On route there was a dried up billabong that could not be avoided, "We'll be fine, I have the winch if worst happens" Bob says to Robyn. Low range and feed all 7.3 litres of the Effy to the wheels.....made it "No prob's" say's Bob to Robyn. Further down to the camp grounds and it was not what they were seeking in an isolated camp so back track they went....back to the dreaded "dried up Billabong from hell" all sweet, we made it through last time so we'll be fine reinforced Bob. This time he muffed it and bogged all 5+ tonnes of the Effy in the middle of the billabong. Oh well, I will just pull out the winch cable and hook it around one of the many available trees to get us going again says Bob. "Stand clear winching" bellowed Bob's voice through the emptyness of LAkefield National park. Problem was nothing happened when he pressed the button on his remote. Try it with the cable connected....nothing happened. "Bob you better get me out of this" echoed a sweet voice that sounded much like Robyn only angry and she is never angry. Power cable on the winch had rubbed through and shorting itself out so there was no winch to help poor ol Bob out. Pushing 5 and a bit tonne through a soggy billabong was out of the question, digging was his only option....after many failed attempts to put logs and palm fronds and all sorts of vegetation under the Effy's wheels Bob resigned to the fact that he was seriously stuck. No mobile phone coverage of course but he had a back up Emergency plan. Out with his Sat phone and made the call to get help. This would have been a very big thing for Bob as he is not the sort of guy to ask if he doesn't have too. Dusk come and went and Bob and Robyn thought it was going to be a long night camped in the Effy waiting for help. Then Robyn says "is this place tidal? will crocs come up here with an incoming tide?" "Buggered if know" says Bob. "Ok youre camping outside so I know if there is any crocs around" says Robyn. Just about this time the cavalry arrived in the form of the local (relatively speaking) Laura police. 15 minutes later after a quick winch, they were free from their despair, and Bob was saved a nervous night tiptoeing through the crocs to ease Robyn's nerves inside the Effy.

Pictures on Bob's camera were not ever going to get into my hands so I can't show you all their situation but suffice to say it would have been nerve racking for the pair of them. I know Bob and how calm he is but I am sure this would serve as a very serious lesson as to the dangers of solo travel. Fortunately Bob had covered all basis to help himself but sadly the newly installed winch failed (thanks to one of the major offroad stores here in Brissy for bleep wiring) fortunately the Sat phone did work and both Bob and Robyn can share their story around a campfire or two for some years to come.

Last time I reported on my mate Bob, his F truck was taken home on the back of a Mack truck, this time it was recovered by a police vehicle.....what next Bob? keep up the good work mate I love having these type of stories to look back and learn from.

Cheers Buddy,
Trevor.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:19

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:19
Hahahah he's always looking to do something to that F truck

Great read

I am itchy again for a little trip somewhere?
AnswerID: 364435

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:38

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:38
Was funnier coming from sweet little Robyn and the tone in which it come out of her mouth. The photo's of Bob standing forlorn beside his desperately bogged Effie were even funnier. It would have been funny to Bob as well, except it was frightfully dangerous and the big offroad shop that did the wiring to his winch should be absolutely hung out to dry for leaving him in such a precarious situation.

You don't need enimies with friends like us hey Troll 81? Out of interest Pezza is out in the middle of nowhere on his bike circumnavigating Lake Eyre. Had been down the East side, around the bottom and heading up the West side last I spoke with him. He's not sure if he will stop heading west when he hits the Alice or keep going till he runs out of land, Monkey Mia was in one sentence so who knows?

Cheers mate,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 632204

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 07:18

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 07:18
Hey Trevor

Yea I got an email from him telling me about his adventures sounds awesome!!
FollowupID: 632243

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:41

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:41
Trevor,

I had this story told to me by Ross H the other night LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 364436

Follow Up By: Ross H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 16:36

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 16:36
Hi Kev

Yeh I'm a kinder person than that Trevor R I wouldn't come on here and kick a bloke when he is down on his luck. LOL

Thats of couse unless it is Lucy or Roachie but they have reputations to live up too.heheheh :)

Mind you only if I had those photos, but somehow I dont think
will get to see them. LMAO

Ross
FollowupID: 632152

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:22

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:22
You lying sod Ross, I am going to quote you from our phone call.

" Oh mate that sort of stuff is open slather, you gotta put it up on the forum"

You wait till I see you next.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 632201

Reply By: Member - T N (Qld) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 14:09

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 14:09
Trevor how long ago did this happen?
the reason I ask is the Troop's started arriving at Pandanus Park, apart from long grass and a greasy creek crossing all was well.
cheers
AnswerID: 364468

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:03

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:03
Hi Tom,

Not sure where exactly in Lakefield it was that he got stuck but I do know it happened about a week to 10 days ago. There was a bypass track around the dried up billabong but Bob's Effie was too large to fit via this bypass, which may account for some of the troops up at Pandanus not having any dramas???...I don't know. I reckon you would pretty clearly see where a big Effie had been stuck recently if you were to drive past the bog, the bloody ruts would be deep to say the least.

Cheers Trevor.
FollowupID: 632198

Follow Up By: Ross H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 22:04

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 22:04
Hi T N

When I spoke to him he said it happened about one hours drive west of ISABELLA FALLS.
So don't know if he was on the main track or took a detour

Ross
FollowupID: 632222

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 14:46

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 14:46
Hello Mr Toad,

Hows things?
There getting tougher up that way I can see, venturing off the bitumen these days and get a bit of mud on the tyres and whoo hoo, lets call the cops for help !!! LOL
The effie isnt a smoke screen for a trol is it Mr Toad???
Your not trying to hide something?

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 364472

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:18

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:18
No smoke screen Pesty, just a bit of ribbing to a worthy candidate. Poor ol Robyn barely gets out with Bob and the first time she does in ages, and he goes and re-enforces why she makes him travel alone hehehehe.

It was funny looking at a pristine Adventure camper on the back of the F truck and seeing Bob roll out of the swag the first morning I caught up with him. Bob's words: "Ahhh it's not worth putting the camper up for one person for one night, the swag does me just fine"

He is one hell of a character our Bob.

Hope you your mob are all well down there.
Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 632200

Follow Up By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 15:44

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 15:44
Hehehe what? not in the ute tray this time Bob!!!
FollowupID: 632462

Reply By: Gramps - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:21

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:21
Typical Zuk LOL Give him heaps, he's big enough to handle it.

AnswerID: 364544

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 08:39

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 08:39
Gramps, I have been giving him heaps but he seems to be going to pieces over it hehehehe.

Just heard this morning that all the winch re-wire was done at TJM Cairns and Bob said they couldn't do enough for him, absolutely superb service and he is now back on the road looking for another "short cut" on route to somewhere great LOL Robyn has left him to it and flown back to Brissy hehehe.

Poor bugger had issues with his newly fitted l/r fuel tank also but again TJM sorted this for him too (I think no charge which sounds great considering the tank was not thiers).

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 632258

Reply By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 15:50

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 15:50
not the curse of the F Truck again!!!!

Thought you must have disappeared for a while Bobby cause you had been quiet. Hoping all is well with you mate..
AnswerID: 364842

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 18:02

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 18:02
???? Bob is nth of Wiepa, tis me telling the story silly. I am well though, thanks for asking hehehehe. Hope you and Mark are well too.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 632491

Follow Up By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 18:28

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 18:28
Yeh I know that my King! Just taking a guess that Bob would actually see this thread at some point and then hunt you down!
FollowupID: 632499

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 19:59

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 19:59
He won't see this thread for a very long time, he just left Wiepa nth bound today. He found about 30 odd k's of mud on route to Wiepa but other than that all good. HE is still to hit the real Cape York yet though, plenty of action in front of him to give me a few more stories (I hope hehehe).

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 632523

Follow Up By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 20:03

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 20:03
plenty of action in front of him to give me a few more stories (I hope hehehe).

oh you are cruel!

I love it!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 632526

Sponsored Links