Pest Management.. Whose looking after the house while we are travelling

Submitted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 17:55
ThreadID: 68758 Views:5383 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
While the love of my life and I are travelling Australia our home may be providing a feast to uninvited guests... White Ants.

In my opinion in SA you can have baits (traps) put in around your yard by a Pest management organisation and the baits are inspected every 3 months and if a bait is taken the Pest management install some form of white ant killer that is taken back to the nest. The downside here is the 3 monthly checks and the cost.

The other alternative is the spray around the house, drilling holes thru the concrete paths/under main room carports etc Down side here, is the cost, yearly checks and a sign on your power box that says you have had white ant treatment. If you intend to sell your home with this sign inside your power box, this will decrease the value of your house by tens of thousands, because prospective buyers think you have white ants rather than trying to keep them away..

I have a write up by a guy called Ion Staunton, about his trap/self destruct low cost system, (www.termitetrap.com.au) that seems great. Has anyone had experience with his system, because if it is as good as it appears I would like to install the system prior to next Spring/Summer before a Multinational buys him out and quadruples the price.

Peter
PeterInSa@yahoo.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cougar Tag-Along-Tours Pty. Ltd. - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 18:32

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 18:32
hi peter ,yes the traps work,but there is always a but .the termites have to enter the trap inthe first place therefore they have have to be placed every 3 to 5 meters around your house, then inspected for activity at the most every 3 months. if there is activity then a paste is put into the trap. this then has to be cheched and refilled until feeding has stopped. this will only destroy the nest which these termites come from .there could be several colonies in the area. mr staunton doesnt say where you can get the bait(paste) from. just because you are away does not mean they will attact your property.i have seen plenty of occupied houses attacked. yes i am a licensed pest controller in vic. regards Rod
AnswerID: 364512

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 19:01

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 19:01
Cougar,
Thanks Re the Baits, this costs $150 for 500gms. I do not know how long it will last though.

In SA at various times I could have purchased the ground level/below ground traps traps quite cheaply its the baits that were the drawback.

I personally do not have a problem with the foundation spraying but do not want the sign. Note in SA these signs are not put in the power boxes of new houses even though the house is treated.

Also in my younger days I had a background in electronics and now have an RF Alarm system in the house. It would seem to me that putting one of these RF movement/heat sensors (with modifications) in the traps would remove the monthly/3 monthly checks. In my opinion the pest industry/government is not to keen on moving into the electronic age to reduce costs to the end consumer

Thanks again for your comments

Peter
FollowupID: 632183

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 19:17

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 19:17
Hi Peter, seems you must have a real problem with white ants in your area. I must be lucky, can't remember the last time I heard a complaint from anyone I know regarding white ants. When I built an extension on our home in the mid 80's, part of the building code here required me to fit ant-caps to the piers, and, 'SHOCK HORROR', paint the bearers with Creosote. I think if you asked anyone for Creosote these days you would be treated like a terror suspect!
I am also at a loss as to why this is of extra concern because you are going on a trip. I think if I were in your situation, I would do whatever I had to before I left.... I'm sure the cost of prevention would be much less than the cost of the cure. Do whatever it takes, and have a great, relaxing trip, safe in the knowledge that all is well back home, because you have done what you can. 'Whacker
FollowupID: 632185

Reply By: Nutta - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:44

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:44
Even without the sign in the power box there's still the plugs in the concrete if buyers pick up on it.

Wayne
AnswerID: 364556

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 09:40

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 09:40
I dont get how white ant treatment lowrs the value of your place

- of course it doesnt. My Iron fibrohouse in Kal had regular inspections and spraying you would hesitate tobuy a house there without it.

Termite inspections on sale are manatory in WA
FollowupID: 632269

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:00

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:00
Gday Peter,
We live next to the Torrens "River" - nice spot but was alarmed when my next door neighbour showed me the termites that were alive in his shed - he said they are very active near the river. We went with Termimesh - they are doing monthly inspections on the traps every 4 metres around the property. Haven't seen any sign of termites which is good, but that sort of monitoring costs a lot - $2k in our case. Still not sure whether its worth it?
AnswerID: 364565

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 08:25

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 08:25
Phil, we nearly lost the house we lived in until 15 years ago to termites. Now an employee residence, it was interesting where they went and last time it was checked it was termite free. It took a few grand to rebuild whole walls. They seem to love laminated beams, but in one room they got to in particular, they left the ceiling - all timber and the roof trusses or that particular area may have been totally removed.
FollowupID: 632254

Reply By: troopyman - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:17

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:17
Termidor , and yes the standard is to drill holes every 150mm . Roughly $50 per lineal meter drilled and sprayed . 600 litres went around my house .
AnswerID: 364570

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 09:17

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 09:17
From what I understand, spraying and drilling don't stop the white ants, merely bring them to the surface where their "tracks" are then visible....if you look regularly.
There is a big problem with white ants here in Bundy. Our house has been attacked in the past but I spray regularly myself with a nasty product available from the hardware store $40 makes 1000lts. Working so far, still have them in the yard and in the neighbouring properties but not in the house.
When I replaced the timber stumps with steel, I noticed that the ant caps on top of the timber looked ok until I removed the stump and found that most had corroded/ rusted in the centre from moistire in the timber- then the ants can get through undetected. Luckily the most recent attack before we bought the house had the only ant cap without a rust hole in it, they completely covered the outside of the stump but couldn't get past the cap.
Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 364614

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 10:06

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 10:06
Hmmm, well I didnt think I would be able to flex my 20 years of Pest Control Muscles on a 4wd forum, but here goes.
Interesting as to how people think, I would have thought that anything to say your property is being well looked after against termites in SA would be a great selling point,would be to me if I was a buyer!
There is no meter box when a new home is treated, the sticker is fixed to the plumbing pipes, only for the building inspectors benefit.
If your concerned then remove the sticker?
A vacant/quiet house will be a better target for termites than a busy noisey one, so do not let it be unprotected.
Personally we have been doing bait/monitoring stations for 3 odd years now and it has taken over chemical treatments to about 90 odd percent because it kills the nest rather than a chemical treatment which only creates a barrier for them to try and get through, and a very small opening will let that happen.
My advice to you is put in the baiting system and have it monitored every 3-4 months and a internal inspection of the dwelling every 12 months. The monitoring can also happen in your absence as they only need access to the outside of the house.
NOTHING ON THE MARKET WILL GIVE YOU 100% COVER !
But in my experience the baiting stations work the best.
We have had termites in places that didnt even show any signs of local activity.
Where are you in SA ?
My details are behind my rig pic, feel free to call me for any advice.

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 364625

Sponsored Links