Normanton to Borroloola

Submitted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:17
ThreadID: 68799 Views:2012 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are currently in Karumba and looking to do the trip from Normanton to Borroloola. We are wondering if anyone knows the road conditions and if we will get our van through - it's not a offroad. We have looked at the road conditions and it says there are some washouts along the way and are trying to work out how bad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Travelling Pixie - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:25

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:25
lots of corrugations and some harsh dips in the road. couple of water crossings

check for recent thread on these forums on Savanah Way
AnswerID: 364734

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:27

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:27
Not current but last time we went throught there it was quite rough in places and a few quite deep river crossings.Not the road for an on road van.
AnswerID: 364735

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 16:25

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 16:25
I'm currently at King Ash Bay (Borroloola). We did not come that way, but a few of others camped near us did - including at least two who stopped at Karumba, then moved on to here.

As at a couple of weeks ago, they say the road is pretty corrugated in parts and there are still a few wash outs from the wet season, though they are marked.

One came through in a standard Prado, not towing. The other came through in a Land Cruiser ute towing what looks like at best a 'dirt road' van.

If I can get any more info, I'll pass it on.

Norm C
AnswerID: 364845

Reply By: Andrea11 - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 13:27

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 13:27
Hi there Kristi,
We took our Jayco 17ft pop top from Burketown to Boroloola this time last year it took us 2 days and our caravan is not off road and is single axle...We did it ok had not problems and no damage. Just drive to conditions there is a long water hole just past Doomadgee that we spent the night at.

Once we got to Boroloola we went out to King Ash bay and stayed at Batton Point free camping just a top spot.

Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 365817

Sponsored Links