Computers

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:13
ThreadID: 6880 Views:1308 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi gang
I know that I am going off our usual subject but 18months ago I baught a new PC with Win XP installed but did not get an OS disc with it. It has a non- removal system on the partitioned hard drive. I strongly believe that this hard drive will need replacing shortly and I also wish to upgrade. I have been in touch with the retailer and the manufacturer of the PC but have had no luck with either unless I like to buy the disc. I was to believe that under international law a company was not allowede to sell a new PC that has an operating system without an OS disc???
Can anyone confirm this???????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:18

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:18
Dob them.

Its illegal to sell software this way.

Send email to Microsoft and confirm with them and then send that
email to place you got the PC from.

They will S**t themselfs.
AnswerID: 29417

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:23

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:23
As far as I know / have experienced then even if it was sold with an OEM version of XP you still should have the MS Windows XP disk (OEM version) come with the pc....did you register XP when you got it? Best you contact microsoft australia about it though.
Will.
AnswerID: 29418

Reply By: ramp - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:01

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:01
hi ray, yeah rip into them you should of got the win xp disc,but what you might find is that your original win xp loaded on your hard drive has a different number to the disc you should of got because they generally hook 1/2 a dozen computers up at once load win and then give you your disc with the package, just saves them time cheers
AnswerID: 29425

Reply By: koh - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:27

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:27
Have you got the Product Key sticker stuck on the machine,

the disc is worth nothing other then an inconvience , all discs are the same given the version is the same
the product key is whats liecenced to you and your computer alone. it is by law we have to attach this when selling a computer. with out it the disc is worth dic, if its not on the machine then they owe you one and you will have the perfect arguement if they have supplied your pute with out one

koh

AnswerID: 29436

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:16

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:16
Hi raybates,

Did you receive a system restore disk? If so this contains the XP operating system on it. If you restore your pc back to factory settings, the disk reloads XP onto it. I had to do it as I was having issues with my PC. If yours is only 18 months old, I doubt that the hard disk should need replacing so soon.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 29441

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:44

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:44
Ring microsoft and see if your os is registered...if so ask for a replacement disc. It might cost but should be cheaper than new.

If it aint registered, then go see your retailer and get it sorted out. Make sure they come to the party with new OS.Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 29442

Reply By: ogray - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:54

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:54
Hi Ray,

There may be a separate partition on the hard disk containing what would normally be supplied on th os cd. You can verify this by looking at the properties of the hard disk drive c.

Start my computer icon and right click on drive c and select properties.

Select the tab hardware and highlight the hard disk drive and select the properties button at the bottom of this screeen.

You should now have another set of tabs to select from select the volumes tab.

Now select the populate tab at the bottom. If you now see two entries with one maybe saying recovery this is where the cd equivelent programs may reside.

You should be able to access this partition and subsequenlty regenerate your system from this area by pressing th f10 key on the first screeen htat appears after booting the PC. You will have two options a destructive regeneration and no-destructive. These are self explanatory.

Try this. Let me now if I can help further.

Owen

AnswerID: 29444

Follow Up By: ogray - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 18:04

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 18:04
Ray,

Whilst this doesn't solve the missing cd, it does give you an option to reinstall the os on the existing system you have. One comment was correct in saying that you can use "almost" any OEM XP install CD to reinstall the os as long as you have the rego key. This is the twenty or so digit number (needed in all cases) that you type in during the install process.

Good Luck.
FollowupID: 20571

Sponsored Links