MOUNTING INVERTER

Submitted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:04
ThreadID: 68807 Views:2541 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there all
now im updating my inverter from a 1500w12v.to a 2500w 12v...as unaware why but it wont run the microwave any more power to micro but when you hit the cook button power stops....micro works fine on 240 volt...now im wondering.if its been wired up correctly. 3 rd battery is a storage battery only...charges via crank battery and red arc solenoid .3rd battery not having terminals just tread and nut posts.....thick battery cable from 3rd to Anderson plug then to inverter.....my Q is should i fuse the cable from battery 3 to inverter.....it has not had 1 since fitted.......and when inverter not in use should i disconnect from battery eg:pull Anderson plug.....

should inverters only be turned on when having something plugged into them??and for how long can you leave them running
these may sound simple but was fitted when got vehicle..and have not used it much but intend to use regularly now..am using for small microwave .and kettle .not at the same time off

course Cheers Bundy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:23

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:23
Bundy,

Microwave ovens and kettles are for the city.

Cast iron camp ovens and a billy are for the bush. :-))

Have you tried running the inverter off the 2nd battery. Not knowing how all the batteries are wired and what condition they are in it would be hard to give an answer.
Have you tried running the motor when you use the microwave oven. It could be a voltage drop problem.

Wayne

AnswerID: 364776

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:26

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:26
How many W is your microwave ? the startup current on these can be pretty high.
AnswerID: 364778

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:35

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:35
Bundy, you say your *updating* to a larger inverter?
How was the smaller unit installed?
Was it different to the method you have described above?

The inverter should have an "on/off" switch on it, so just turn it on when you use it, it's 12v (not 240v) running in the cable from the battery to the inverter.Image Could Not Be Found
The inverter uses no measurable current when attached to the battery and is turned off, just as your headlights use no current when turned off.

If the inverter has fan forced cooling, and at that size I'm positive it has, there is no hassle in having it on while charging phones etc for many hours at a time, my fan cooled inverter stays on 24/7 at times with-out any problems.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 364782

Reply By: Member - BUNDY BOY (WA) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:00

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:00
HI guys .....
old inverter wired as described........all three battery's are 2/3 months old.....1st/3rd battery's running if 1 alternator.via red arc duel system.......2nd battery has separate alternator......ex ambo so has two complete wiring looms and alternators...see profile pics........only 600w micro.......was working fine till 2 weeks ago.then kettle was switching on and off while coming to boil .....and old inverter not worked under load since....so got a bigger one under advisement of others............

i know im getting soft but its easier when on the move with work

Bundy
AnswerID: 364789

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:55

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:55
Hi Bundy
Your 600w output microwave would be about as big as a 1500w inverter could handle , because in delivering 600w it probably uses 1200w or so (maybe label on back of mircowave).
Also startup load is much greater.

Adding a switching kettle has probably weakened the inverter by making a couple of tranistors go soft. (actually power mosfets - but transistors will do for this post).

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 632423

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 11:04

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 11:04
Other part of question - I would not fuse before the inverter unless it used a long cable that wound though the car.

Its a bit of a balancing act , but a 2500w inverter draws 200 amps and needs cable of at least 16mm square copper , even then volts drop about 0.5v for a cable run of only 1 meter.
Fuse adds further drop, and unit should have its own fusing.
Worth putting cable run inside a flexible tube for extra protection though
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 632424

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 18:45

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 18:45
I was at the Bushtracker factory the other day and I asked about running my microwave through a big inverter.

He said to forget the idea and only use it when I have 240.

Willie.
AnswerID: 364882

Sponsored Links