Standard split rims :- Good or Bad ???

Submitted: Friday, May 15, 2009 at 13:40
ThreadID: 68855 Views:2933 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
This topic may have been done to death but at the risk of howls of protest here goes.
A lot of the photos of contributors ( apparently experienced travellers) vehicles to this forum show them with Sunraysia or non standard rims. A couple of them ( also appear to be experienced travellers) though show Cruisers with the original grey split rim.
Do these rims do the job in ordinary conditions and is the main reason for changing to a wider rim because of weight or getting better surface area for soft going, and is the change worth the expense??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mowing - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:10

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:10
Hi Wild Dog,
Rather than open a can of worms, if you do a search you will find heaps of information on the subject.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 365041

Reply By: Willem - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:15

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:15
Yeah mate its been done to death. If you do a Search and type in "split rims" you wil get a miriad of posts.

Nevertheless, I run split rims because they are suitable to fit Crossply tyres to, which I prefer as my given tyre as I tend to venture away from the run of the mill tracks every now and then.

There are many pros and cons, for and against particular rim sizes but it is really an individual thing as to what people like or need.
If I was going to do a run through Mulga country then I would prefer to run the crossplies as the they are almost stakeproof. If I were to go down for a run along the beach I would fit the widest steel or alloy rim I could find.
AnswerID: 365044

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:28

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:28
"If I was going to do a run through Mulga country then I would prefer to run the crossplies as the they are almost stakeproof. If I were to go down for a run along the beach I would fit the widest steel or alloy rim I could find."

Right, give them to me Big W. Knowing my luck, I reckon I could stake them without even leaving the coles carpark in Doncaster lol!

Love my standard steelies and radial tyres. Can have a puncture plugged without having to take it off. Back on the road within 10 minutes...usually. Of course when you have to remove the tyre from the rim for repairs, a splittie can be an advantage but it's still a lot of work. You get used to the tink of tools in the evenings with tyre repairs on the splitrims.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 632677

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:40

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:40
Mick

I do sincerely hope that the occasion does not arise where you have to eat those words.....LOL

Plugging a tubeless for a small puncture is no worry but putting a sizeable stake through a radial tyre is a worry. Destroying a radial in Mulga country is much easier. Removing and fitting a radial out bush becomes a chore. Last year I watched the fellas slog for hours busting their arses doing just that.

Cheers
FollowupID: 632679

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 17:51

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 17:51
The issue is once you stake a radial thats the end of it - bin job
yea you can plug the sidewalls to get you home but no one will fix it
with a crossply you just remove the stake and fix the tube - if its a big hole you fit an internal path
FollowupID: 632720

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 21:57

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 21:57
Mind you if you badly stake a radial on a one piece rim you can also patch it and then fit a tube.
FollowupID: 632763

Reply By: wild dog - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:41

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:41
Thanks I knew it would have been discussed but couldn't work out how to get on to the search thingy so I just hit one of the search words highlighted in your replies.
As you can see I'm computer illeterate
AnswerID: 365047

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 17:54

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 17:54
having used both I would use split rims for running crossply tyres and single peice for running radials

I dont think theres any benifit running radials on split rims and you are better of running them on 1 peice rims as tubless for a variety of reasons
AnswerID: 365086

Sponsored Links