Electric Brakes Servicing and Testing for Tekonsha Prodigy.

Submitted: Friday, May 15, 2009 at 15:46
ThreadID: 68860 Views:3452 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Have the van up on stands at the moment, repacking bearings and cleaning all the dust and crap out of the brake drums and fittings. The magnets and linings look to have plenty of meat left.
My question is this.....I can lock the wheels with the manual control lever,whilst up on the stands, but does the vehicle need to be in actual motion on the road for the vehicle brakes to operate the trailer brakes. I can hear the magnets humming when the vehicle brakes are applied, but no trailer brakes, yet manual lever works well.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

Fred.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 16:01

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 16:01
The manual lever will work well up past 13 volts.

But the brake controller is enertia activated so no inertia present therfore no volts going to your trailer brakes.

At least thats my understanding of the unit.
AnswerID: 365062

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G NSW - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 16:10

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 16:10
That's what I thought also. Thought I'd try the experiment while the van is up on the stands, but with the system being a pendulam system, I wasn't sure whether I should get a result while stationary.
FollowupID: 632688

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 16:18

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 16:18
Agree with RAG.

Magnets are being activated, but being a sort of leading shoe drum brake, it is not until the wheel is in motion that the magnet uses the motion of the drum to pull on the shoes for braking.

Sounds like you have got it sorted out in your mind. :o)
FollowupID: 632693

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G NSW - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 17:12

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 17:12
Yeah thanks John, I sort of thought that was the case but just wanted to be sure before we set out on Tuesday up through Central Qld. Doubt creeps in with age, and we just need a nod of reassurance aye.

Cheers mate.

Fred.
FollowupID: 632714

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 21:03

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 21:03
Fred...if this any help....when I do my drums on the van etc, I use a 12 volt DC supply from a small battery via a lead with a switch that connect into the van 7 pin plug.

I adjust the shoes up so that the drum is tight and then back the shoe adjustment back off about 10 notches, some times a bit more, so that the drum brake shoes are only just touching.
Then I spin the wheel as hard as I can and flick the switch on...at this point the wheel will suddenly stop dead and as a result this has the effect of settling the brake shoes into position then with a another spin ( turn the swich off) I check they are clearing OK.

You may have to do this a few times until you get it right as the brakes only work if the wheel is turning as the magnet catches the spinning drum and this drags the shoes into the drum causing the braking action.

Hope this helps

AnswerID: 365105

Follow Up By: coley - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 22:10

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 22:10
Make sure you still can see 4 hole's on the magnet's , if there is no holes the magnet will still make a sound , but not work ,if one side of the magnet has holes , change it with the other side of the van
Hope this makes sence!
Cheers Coley
FollowupID: 632764

Sponsored Links