Dual Flow Oil Filters

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:28
ThreadID: 6892 Views:1389 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Why do some diesel engines use a dual flow oil filter, and some a (much cheaper) single flow. To confuse me the Mazda Bravo diesel changed from a dual flow to a single flow on the same engine in April 2000. The dual flow filtter was $28.95 from Mazda, and a similar amount from another source. I believe that they are the same as used on a Toyota model.
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CAMEL - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 17:27

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 17:27
This reminds me of a story i was told when i was a young fella.
Name 2 cars that could be driven in the desert ??
A Rolls Royce & a model T
Why ? one the engine was that sealed the dust couldn't get in
the other it didn't matter.

Now bare that in mind,
That in ealier diesels were less efficent as far as fuel burn was concerned,
unburnt fuel, carbon would find its way into the oil, this is one of the reasons why diesel engine oil is different to petrol engine oil, it has a tolerance to a small percentage of fuel dillution and still maintain efficent lubrication.
Engine tollances were greater to allow for contamination flowing through the system. Now tollances are less the contamination needs to be reduced so hence a 2 stage filter, the full flow is around 28-40 microns the second stage is around 5 microns, the flow rate is around 10 to 1.
As for going back to a full flow only filter, i would think that they got the contamination reduced by getting a better fuel burn, thereby reducing the need of a 2 stage filter and saving on the cost on production, say if they knocked out
100 000 units and save 10 bucks each thats 1 mil, just a thought.
hope this helped
AnswerID: 29570

Sponsored Links