Infants in front of Ute

Submitted: Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:51
ThreadID: 68960 Views:6492 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 70 V8 cruiser ute and want to know if i can legally put a child seat in the front for my 2yo son. has anyone had one fitted, what do i need to do. he goes in the back of the prado for long trips but it would be handy to take him in ute on occasions if it is safe and legal to do so.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:59

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:59
Would suggest you ring your local authority or look up the ADR rules.
Does it have passengers side airbag as I think that can cause the problem as they are too strong for a little kids body if they go off.

Unlikely I know but a bit late to find out if it happens and does damage to the child.

AnswerID: 365586

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:01

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:01
Depends very much on just which state you live in.Check out your local traffic regulators website.

Cheers,

Mick

P.S. If you can't and you don't want the ute anymore, can I have it :-)

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 365587

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:04

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:04
Read this:
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2007/pdf/Child_restraints.pdf

Short answer is that you can install a car seat in the front, if there are no airbags.
AnswerID: 365588

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:16

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:16
But the new laws are yet to come into effect - I just found this which still appears to allow children in the front of aute:
New Restraint Laws
From the second half of 2009, new child restraint laws are to be introduced in South Australia.

When introduced the new laws will require:

Children to be appropriately restrained in a motor vehicle in a suitable approved child restraint from birth up to the age of 7.
Children up to 4 years of age to be restrained in the rear of the vehicle (where the vehicle has two or more rows of seats).

Children aged between 4 and 7 years will not be permitted to sit in the front seat unless all other seating positions are occupied by children under 7 years.
FollowupID: 633292

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:40

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:40
heels,

In NSW you can get in touch with the RTA, they will then let you know of the nearest authorised restraint fitting station.

The licenced fitter there will be able to advice you on what can and can't be done.

The type of vehicle and the age of the child would have to be taken into account when fitting any type of child restraint.

All states in Australia would have a similar network of authorised fitting stations.

Wayne

AnswerID: 365594

Reply By: Bushwhacker - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 23:59

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 23:59
Hi Heels, some of these rules may well NOT be in as yet, but they are designed to safeguard a child. I can understand you wanting to have your son in the ute with you, but even you are questioning the safety of doing so. The rules are either there, or coming, and you are in two minds.... seems to tell me that you are thinking maybe its not a good idea to have your son there. Personally, I wouldn't, just my thoughts. 'Whacker
AnswerID: 365600

Reply By: heels - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 07:35

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 07:35
I am in NSW and checked out the RTA site, just mentions no rear facing seats (he is forward facing) in a seat near an air bag (still got the 1984 dash in the 2008 cruiser, no air bags) so the actual harness point is the major concern. good point whacker, only looking at this for when we have to, bought a prado with full curtain air bags when he was born for his safety so wont be jeopardising him, and sorry Mick O, you would have to prise the keys to the Ute from my cold dead hands, I love it.. hence why i am looking down this road and not for a dual cab. thanks for the responses everybody.
AnswerID: 365609

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 14:04

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 14:04
As far as I know you can't legally sit a child under 12yrs in the front of a vehicle with a passenger airbag in NSW.

I had the police try to fine me for having my son (when he was 5) in the front of the 80 series dual cab in his approved car seat when stopped for a breath test at Mt Victoria. She said you can't have kids under 12yrs...blah blah blah. So I said I do you see srs air bag written on the steering wheel or dash? she said no, I said well there you go, regulation doesn't count and that was that.
I deliberately buy cruisers without airbags (getting hard to find) and most people don't know about these regulations. Even our corolla only has a drivers airbag.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 633357

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 07:42

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 07:42
I have seen stories on the news of children in America having their heads blown off with an airbag while sitting in the front seat. Now American airbags are not SRS bags, and have a more powerful punch because yanks don't generally wear seat belts but I would not put a child in a position where an airbag could deploy, and even if it if not law yet (law makers are notoriously slow) the fact that it is going to be illegal one day would indicate that it is a bad thing to put a child in an airbag seat.
Then again, it is up to you, and if you don't crash there is no problem.
AnswerID: 365616

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 08:34

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 08:34
heels,

I do know that it is possible to fit a support to a single cab ute that has the RTA approval.

This type of approved anchor bracket can only be supplied and fitted by an licenced restraint fitter.

The RTA has a free-call hot-line 13 22 13. Give them a call and they will direct you to the nearest restraint fitting station.

Wayne
AnswerID: 365621

Reply By:- Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:42

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:42
Here is a copy and paste of a couple of rules regarding restraining children in a motor vehicle aged between 1 and 16 years.

266 Wearing of seatbelts by passengers under 16 years old

(1) The driver of a motor vehicle (except a bus or motor bike) that is moving, or is stationary but not parked, must ensure that this rule is complied with for each passenger in or on the vehicle who is under 16 years old.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

Note. Bus, motor bike, motor vehicle and park are defined in the Dictionary.

(2) If the passenger is under 1 year old, and not exempt from wearing a seatbelt under rule 267, the passenger must be restrained in a suitable approved child restraint that is properly fastened and adjusted.

Note 1. Approved child restraint is defined in subrule (7).

Note 2. This subrule is not uniform with the corresponding subrule in rule 266 of the Australian Road Rules. A reference to subrule (5) has been omitted because it is not reproduced in this rule.

(3) If the passenger is under 1 year old, and the motor vehicle has 2 or more rows of seats, he or she must not be in the front row of seats.

(4) If the passenger is at least 1 year old but under 16 years old, and is not exempt from wearing a seatbelt under rule 267:

(a) he or she must be restrained in a suitable approved child restraint that is properly adjusted and fastened, or

(b) he or she:

(i) must occupy a seating position that is fitted with a suitable seatbelt, and

(ii) must not occupy the same seating position as another passenger (whether or not the other passenger is exempt from wearing a seatbelt under rule 267), and

(iii) must wear the seatbelt properly adjusted and fastened.

267–2 NSW rule: child restraints prohibited on front seats fitted with airbags

(cf RRR, cl 46)

(1) The driver of a motor vehicle must not drive the vehicle if:

(a) a passenger under the age of 16 years is occupying a child restraint in a front seat position of the vehicle, and

(b) an airbag fitted to the vehicle is designed to deploy in that seat position.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

(2) The Authority may, subject to such conditions as it thinks fit, exempt any person or class of persons, or any motor vehicle or class of motor vehicles, from the operation of this rule.

These rules are from the NSW RTA website

AnswerID: 366830

Sponsored Links