couple of technical questions.

Submitted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 21:47
ThreadID: 68991 Views:2845 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I've got a couple of problems with both of my forby's.
1. I've just put a set of cooper stc's on my mk triton I had to go slightly higher in profile and now when i turn either way the corner of the front tyres get awfully close to the bottom corner of my bumper. I want to put an arb steel at a later date. I just want to know if a bull bar will give me more room than my bumper?
2. I also have an old fj45 cruiser ute with front brake drums that are sticking on. I have removed the drums to have a look. Return springs and wheel cylinders look ok. I wander if it can be in the proportioning valve or the master cylinder. Because both front wheels are locking up. Any ideas well be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ray.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 07:40

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 07:40
Hi Ray,
I owned an HJ45 for 22 years. You will probably find the wheel cylinders are partially seized so that hydraulic pressure can push the shoes on but the springs can't pull them off again. Brake fluid absorbs water from the atmosphere and unless you do a complete fluid flush every 2 years the water in the fluid rusts the cylinders from the inside. Autobarn or Supercheap sell new cylinders for about $20 from memory - simply replace them, at this price they are not worth trying to rebuild. two cylinders in each wheel probably unless it is really old. The other was they can seize is if you go through deep water/mud and the rubber boots on the slave cylinders are not perfect moisture can get in.
AnswerID: 365778

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 14:54

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 14:54
Could be the hoses. They can swell on the inside and allow fluid through under pressure but won't let it return.
FollowupID: 633554

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 08:13

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 08:13
Have you just put a different set of rims on the old 45? They are notorious for the wrong rims scraping on the tie rod ends causing both front wheels to lock up.
Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 365785

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 13:31

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 13:31
I take it that you have little or no lift in the MK Triton?
How much oversize did you go? 31" to 33"?

Many vehicles will need a lift with the new larger rubber, on articulation you may rub the inner guard.

On the Fj45 sounds like cylinders need replacement due to rust/wear and springs not strong enough to return them.
AnswerID: 365818

Reply By: Member - Ray C (VIC) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:03

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:03
thanks for your replies, I'll start with the wheel cylinders on the 45 series as for the triton I only went up from a 70 series to a 75 series because coopers don't make a 265/70 r 16 tyre according to my supplier.
It is standard height at the moment. I dont have plans at the moment to lift it. But I will if I need to.
AnswerID: 365883

Sponsored Links