Which road is the way to go from Oodnadatta to Birdsville?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 08:37
ThreadID: 69001 Views:2127 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, we will be travelling later in the year from the Sunshine Coast to William Ck, have been direct to Innamincka previously, but would like to try via Camerons corner, which would be the way to go to Lyndhurst, Maree, Oodnadatta then how to birdsville? Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks, aussiedingo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 08:51

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 08:51
Hi
From Oodnadatta, head north to Hamilton, then take the PAR route through to Dalhousie and then over the Simpson. You can also head further north, through Eringa, Abminga to Mount Dare, then down to Dalhousie.

There are a few option and each has their own beauty.

Have a great trip when you do travel.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 365789

Follow Up By: toyotabits.com.. aussiedingo@qldnet.com.au - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 09:02

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 09:02
Thanks Stephen, what would be the time frame for Dalhousie to Birdsville? I understand conditions etc. come into it, just approx. thanks, dingo
FollowupID: 633491

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 09:12

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 09:12
Hi Dingo
Once again there are 3 main ways across the desert -

French Line
WAA Line
Rig Road

The above track will all meet at the Knolls Turn Off and from there on in is the French Line to Poeppel Corner, then north on the K1 Line to the QAA then on to Birdsville.

We have travelled every track and all different, with no track either better or worse than the other.

Personally from my point of view, the absolute minimum would be 3 to 4 days, even then it is going to be rushed. You will hear reports of people doing it in a lot less time, just to say they have been and done the Simpson. No one Simpson trip is never enough to get the true feel of the desert.

Get you map out, pick a selections of route covering all track and you will have a ball. If you love that country, you will be back again, that is for sure.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 633493

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:56

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:56
Hi Stephen,
We are planning on taking this route from Oodnadatta to Finke in early July. Can we continue on from Abminga to Charlotte Waters, then New Crown and into Finke?
Rob
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 633585

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:35

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:35
Hi Rob,
The way that you have planned is spot on. You will find a good variation in track conditions, from gibber country through to good sandy tracks. If you are going to Finke, it is worth the slight detour to the Lambert Centre. Follow the main road, (well signposted) towards Kulgera. About 20 kilometres from Finke you will come to the Lambert Centre turn off on the right hand side of the road. It is about 14 kilometres in, a slow and winding track in seeing you are going to be so close.

Enjoy the Red Centre, it is a top spot.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 633595

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 09:14

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 09:14
Dalhousie to Birdsville is nice at about 3-4 days otherwise a rush.

Can't be done at the moment as Eyre creek is flooded as are adjoining swales. It will be awhile before it opens.

Alan
AnswerID: 365792

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 10:07

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 10:07
Simpson crossing classed as open now - although a bit squishy at Eyre creek, but quite 'doable' according to Parks staff. A VKS member reports no trouble at the Eyre creek, but advises travellers to walk it first, then stay well upstream above the iron droppers placed by NP staff. I guess from this that the creek bed must be very firm.
FollowupID: 633513

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 15:47

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 15:47
What time - later in the year? Makes a difference as well.
AnswerID: 365836

Sponsored Links