Spare parts , Genuine and after market have risen in price dramatically over the

Submitted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 18:51
ThreadID: 69039 Views:2563 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Bought a few bits and pieces for the daughters suby to-day, oil filter, fuel filter, a set of plugs, Thought i'd do a nice fatherly thing and give her car a service!( no hope of her doing it!) and was astounded at the invoice handed over, all genuine parts, canister type fuel filter $65.00, that item alone was no where near that 12mths ago as i had the same model. Off to K-Mart to get the good oil...Lol, Mobil1 Synthetic 5W/ 50 which i used for yrs in ours, Near$80 for 5ltrs , Hasn't that jumped up in price. Settled for the new 10w/40 2000 semi synthetic $ 37 for 5ltrs.

Then off to the bearing shop to get front wheel bearings for the defender $65.00 per side with a hub seal, But we don't have any in stock till monday!!, Can't wait so down to the landy stealer everything i want is there, BUT!! !@ $120 a side!.

Can't buy things on the spur of the moment anymore will have to stock up a supply of bits and pieces for all the vehicles and chase good quality for the right price. Oil included!
Not a Good Day!.

Cheers Axle.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 19:40

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 19:40
Well, I guess if the manufacturers aren't selling so many vehicles, they have got to make a quid somewhere.
Remember what Henry Ford said?
Many times the aftermarket base their prices on a ratio with Genuine as well.
And the price of oil, you shouldn't be surprised really. Just look at the fuel prices, except there aren't discount cycles on 5 litres of oil.

If only our savings went up as quickly as the prices, we would be able to mark time, but it don't work that way.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 366005

Reply By: Wherehegon - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 21:09

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 21:09
Hi there Axle, bought an oil filter $33, wiper blades just the rubber inserts $31, 20L of caltex oil $83, these parts except the oil were Genuine Toyota, sent the wiper rubbers back (4 that price you got to be kidding me) also this was trade price for everything except oil. Neighbour priced an oil filter for his diesel 05 pajero, $$$$$$$$ 65, decided on non genuine. When I did the front bearings on the old lux they were exactly half price from the bearing shop and when I went to pick up they were the exact same bearing in Toyota boxes, saved over $100. Worth shopping around, only that I get Toyota bits trade price that I run genuine but refused to pay $31 for two bleep y bits of rubber, bought some from super cheap for $16. Regards Steve
AnswerID: 366027

Follow Up By: Ups and Downs - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 22:05

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 22:05
For what it's worth I've found the genuine Toyota rubbers better than the others.

I was told that they are genuine rubber whereas the others are full of silicone.

Whatever the reason the real ones last 2-3 years and work all the time, but the cheapies seem to go brittle and make a noise it seems within months.

My two bob's worth.

Paul
FollowupID: 633785

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 22:30

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 22:30
Hi Paul, your probably write. Guess I will find out soon. I use to use genuine inserts all the time even on the old lux I used genuine but for some reason they are double the price of what the old lux was ??? Not sure why, the prado blades dont look any bigger or anything ?? See how they go over time, might work out cheaper in the long run to by genuine..........Regards Steve
FollowupID: 633792

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:31

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:31
G/Day WHG, Its a bit of a worry LOL!! Stilll like to buy genuine, If anything was ever to go seriously wrong due to a faulty part, then i would rather deal with Toyo or Subaru, or whoever, than a dodgy after market parts supplier, I think!!....Lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 633923

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:36

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:36
Support the genuine Toyota wipers Tried the supercrap ones and wouldnt have them again.

FollowupID: 633924

Sponsored Links