Dream Pot type thingos??

Submitted: Friday, May 22, 2009 at 09:07
ThreadID: 69058 Views:3348 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
'Morning all,

I realize there are a few of those insulated type slow cookers on the market- but which one is the best ??
I checked them out at the Rosehill show, but all the exhibitors did was knock there opposition- not showing the features and benefits of their item..
I remember looking at the Dream Pot and the Thermos version. Any others out there worth a look?? All comments are welcome.
Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:45

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:45
Gooday Signman,
we use our Dreampot all the time... at home and away... We can't fault it and really enjoy it's benefits. So far we haven't found anything we can't cook in it..... about the only thing we use the camp oven for is a roast. But plan on trying it in the dream pot too! I know it will just end up as "cooked meat", and not strictly a roast, but am prepared to try that method anyway.

Suggest you buy the largest size possible; gives more flexibility.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 366125

Follow Up By: Walda - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:33

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:33
Oour Dreamppot also gets used every week. We have cooked roast meat in the Dreampot and it was beautiful. All you have to do is brown the meat on a BBQ then into the ovenbag with necessary ingredients for gravy as well as normal baked vegetables and seal it. Really good meal. I think even old boots would be edible after cooking in the Dreampot.
FollowupID: 633954

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:56

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:56
We have the 'dream pot' brand and use it more at home than when travelling. If I had unlimited $ I would by the thermos brand one. The pots are heavier. I saw another generic brand one in a camping shop this week which looked like a knock off of the dream pot.

They are an old concept and used to be called a hay box cooker. Google that and you will come up with a lot of info. Or you can make your own:

Hay box cooker

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366153

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:00

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:00
We have the Thermos Shuttle Chef. We went for it because of the thicker bottom on the pot.
Kathryn makes great stews, soups, curries etc in it as well as cooking things like corned beef. Must admit though, it has not been used for a few months.

Norm C
AnswerID: 366156

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:15

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:15
Signman
Hi we have had both a dreampot and the thermos brand pot. Of the 2 the thermos brand is the superior as the bases of the pots are thicker so the food doesnt stick. We use ours quite a bit at home and on the road. The first day of any trip I make a cassreole it is so great to get there and tea is cooked. On the last trip I cooked corned meat, casseroles, cakes ( I used a packet moist date mix yum) steamed puddings I cooked the cornd meat when we pulled up for lunch then we travelled on. used the leftovers for cold meat.
Hope this helps
barb
AnswerID: 366165

Reply By: gwezza - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:41

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:41
I also have a dreampot and cook alot in it, just love doing the fruit loaves, the only thing I would say is I think the lid could be a slightly better fit. Would be interested to hear what the other dream pot owners say about that.
We have had ours about 2 yrs and I had not seen the Shuttle Chef, but as others have said I feel they are better, with the thicker bottoms and better fitting lid, also the extra accessories you can get for them.
Cheers Gwezza
AnswerID: 367144

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:47

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:47
I'm glad you asked the question Signman. I've been looking at the Shuttle Chef in the last few days.

If you google: "Dreampot vs Shuttle Chef" you get some handy comparisons.

As stated above it seems that the Thermos is the better quality product.

What I would like to know is, for just 2 people is the smaller single pot Shuttle enough? What would 2 people do with the bigger 2 pot model?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367146

Sponsored Links