Sleeping in a Pop top caravan with the roof down

Submitted: Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:53
ThreadID: 69072 Views:11168 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Pop top caravans have been on my radar.

I'm resisting the full on caravan for as long as possible in favour of the smaller pop top off roader as a replacement for my camper trailer.

Two vans that have caught my eye are the Quantum and the newish Gibson from Trackmaster. Both are pop tops.

Problem is pop tops are frowned upon by the boss. She reckons they'll be colder than a standard caravan & so I'm trying to come up with counter arguments.

One thought I have is that during cold weather or even wet weather, the pop top can be lowered to help with insulation and weather proofing for a good night's sleep.

Am I onto something here? I mean apart from the obviously lower roof to look out for when springing out of bed, is there anything taboo about sleeping in one with the roof down?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dingbat - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:15

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:15
Slept with the roof down quite a few times--in very windy weather usually and yes it is warmer than with the roof up. In wet weather the drips from the pop top to the solid roof can be annoying on some vans as well. Ours has a full length top and its not a problem. Only thing is dont cook or toast with the roof down.

cheers
AnswerID: 366196

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:55

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:55
The answer is quite simple......how will it cost you for a divorce as compared to the purchase price for a full van ( if you get it wrong)....lol....because she will never let you forget it.

I know which is cheaper.... : )

Good luck!

AnswerID: 366204

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:26

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:26
Slept a few times with to pop top down and no problem. Did it with late night early start side of the road stop overs.
The advantage of pop tops is the ability to open up the sides and ends of the poptop section to get breezes and fresh air through. You also get higher ceiling levels than some full height vans and you also have the ability to park it in conventional carports etc. Set up for a pop top is about 30 seconds longer than a full height. Full height vans have better insulation in the cold and especially in the extreme heat of the North. They also have more overhead cupboard space. Towing is about the same. Some claim that the pop top is lower so therefore less drag but they all have the aerodynamics of a brick and so do most towing vehicles for that matter. There would be little or no difference worth mentioning in fuel usage for similar sized vans in either format.
AnswerID: 366210

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:55

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:55
We too have slept with the roof down. Wouldnt want to do it too often. Depends on how tall you are I guess.
AnswerID: 366216

Reply By: Member - Axle - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:59

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:59
Wayne, i don't think a pop top would be all that colder!, just mention to her that there's lots of ways to keep warm!!!....Then Run..lol.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 366235

Reply By: garryk - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 19:18

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 19:18
G'day
Yes we have also slept with the pop top down when just having a quick overnight stop
The previous posts have pretty much covered it all except that pop top heights vary
some have lower body section of van and more height in the vinyl
and others have a higher body section and less vinyl and therefore more headroom
The price range of the different brands generally reflect this because vinyl is cheaper than walls and cupboards
of course it depends on how tall you are.

Garry
AnswerID: 366237

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 22:39

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 22:39
G'day garryk
We used to own a Coromal pop top and had the pop top down for a quicky over nighter but after a while had to pop the top.
Cheers
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 633985

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 22:39

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 22:39
Thanks all for your tips on pop tops and advice on marriage.

You've given me much food for thought.

AnswerID: 366277

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 23:14

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 23:14
I've had both and there is no difference in temperature as far as I can see.

I used to sleep with one end of the pop top up and one down in bad rain and once you rug up in bed, it is heaven :-)

And now I have a FULL van it is just the same in bad weather...rug up and be warm

AnswerID: 366284

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 23:37

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 23:37
Just a few weeks ago we got rid of our old camper van after 10 years faithful service, and bought a pop top van. Only been on the one shake down trip so far, but it was great. After being completely surrounded by canvas in the camper trailer, the little bit round the pop top shouldn't cause you to get too cold. Remind SWMBO of this.One thing I do like though, is if after a lot of rain you find a few puddles on the roof, just drop one end for 5 minutes to drain it off. Haven't slept in it with it down though. Then again, I am 6' 2".Cheers.

Roger B.............
AnswerID: 366287

Sponsored Links