Travelling with relish

Submitted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 09:48
ThreadID: 69089 Views:2017 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We never leave home for our travels without taking several jars of home made relish. Along with a great big "hunk" of corned beef the relish makes up a vital part of our daily routine. We stop for lunch...make the relish and "red gum" sandwiches and sit back to munch with contentment. We're on the track, and life is good.

So, today Dad and I are making up another batch because in 70 days time we're heading off for eight weeks travelling on the Gunbarrel, the Canning, the Gibb River Road and the Gary Junction Road.

Dad will have already cut up the onions ( because I can't do that without crying painfully) and the tomatoes yesterday and they'll have been left covered in salt overnight.

This afternoon we'll start cooking and stirring while we watch the footy and by tonight we'll have about thirty jars of beautiful, mouth watering relish.

Mum and Dad used to argue over the relish. She peeled the tomatoes, he couldn't see the point in doing that so they made some each...specially marked so we could all judge who had done the best batch.Well, sorry mum, if you're looking down, watching us...the skin is staying on...but it's still your same old recipe.

Viv
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 10:10

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 10:10
I'm afraid I am one to agree with your mum Viv. Skins got to come off. Simplicity in the food stakes this year for me. Dried biscuits, tuna of some ham and cheese for lunch. Bread is for the morning jaffles. Have a great trip. I'll be on the Canning in July myself so I'll try and knock down a few corrugations for you. I'll make sure I leave you some dust as well.

Safe travels. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366308

Follow Up By: Member - Vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 10:12

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 10:12
Thanks Mick, knock down as many corrugations as you can! If you knew my Dad, you'd be agreeing with him too! At 82, Dad "rules"...but the relish tastes great either way.

Have a great trip

Viv
FollowupID: 634018

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 12:11

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 12:11
G/Day Viv

Nothing like Corn Beef or Lamb Sandwiches, the Cook allways has either in the fridge, and especially when we are on the road, she also bakes Unprocess Brand Biscuits with mixed fruit, good with a cuppa, lol.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 366321

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 12:32

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 12:32
I always travel with relish..and a bit of vim and vigour also. :))
AnswerID: 366324

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 13:50

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 13:50
Gday Viv,
I used to work on a cattle station years ago......
It would nearly take two people to lift one of our corned beef's in to the cook wagon fridge!
Never got sick of it....I used to carve off a slab about an inch thick ( with the fat) spread it with sweet mustard pickle and throw another chunk on top..Mmmmmmmmm
Bugger the bread...it just took up room.

You've got me thinking.......is your mums recipe a secret?
Can you share it with us? I might make a batch tommorrow......
Im starving now!!!! LOL

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 366335

Reply By: Member - julie S (VIC) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 08:46

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 08:46
I would be delighted if you could pass on your relish recipe. My Mum In Law use to make a nice one but the recipe has been misplaced.
Thanks Julie
AnswerID: 366574

Sponsored Links