A tale from the old Simpson Desert days.

Submitted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 13:45
ThreadID: 69096 Views:3085 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I had arranged to meet the group of bikers at Purni Bore, but they hadn’t showed. As I had most of their fuel and water on board I was a bit worried.
I was even more worried when my fellow traveler had taken out a firearm, with the intention of getting a few bunnies for tea. I explained that these bikers were liable to appear from my direction at very short notice. Bad idea.
The next morning I waited for a bit and then set off for Dalhousie, the last place I had seen the group.
Dalhousie had a family group floating around when I got there. Stark naked!
Mum, Dad, teenage kids and grandparents. Without a hint of embarrassment Dad introduced me around. My eyes were almost on the ground as they told me no they hadn’t seen or heard from the bike group.
Hightailing it back to Purni, I heard a noise on the drivers' side. I slowed down with my heart in my mouth expecting to find a flat tyre. The biker flashed his light in my side mirror. Thank goodness I thought as the group rode alongside of me.
They had become bushed after dusk, having missed the track and decided to stay put. They’d seen the flash of my windscreen in the sun and wandered down to see what I was up to.
I’d never been so pleased to see a group of scruffy bikers in my life, even if they did want to go back for a peek at the group at Dalhousie. I told them we didn't have time for such foolishness.

I couldn't see it happening at Dalhousie these days.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:00

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:00
What year was that Footy?
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 366338

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:04

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:04
That's a tough one...early 80's from memory. Around 82?
FollowupID: 634055

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:25

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:25
Yes the tracks in & around the desert in the early 80's were not so obvious & with no gps one had to rely heavily on map reading skills. Wasn't until the Pink Roadhouse sign posted the major interesections with their 44 gallon drum lids that it became easier.
I've often looked at my old Auronautical 1:250,000 maps & wondered how we ever found our way around with so little detail. It doesn't surprise me the bikes got sidetracked & without real communications or EPIRB's etc their safety would have been worrying.
Cheers Craig..................
FollowupID: 634061

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:32

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:32
The oil companies were always putting new "shot" lines in. Most confusing , and if you followed too many then you could run out of fuel pretty quickly.
A bit different these days with the "Have you conquered Big Red stickers" etc and the pink roadhouse.
Adam Plate certainly knew that the future of the Simpson and surrounding area depended upon tourism, didn't he ?
FollowupID: 634063

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:45

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 14:45
"Adam Plate certainly knew that the future of the Simpson"
Without Adam & co many of the tracks may have been lost.
Yes some shot lines looked like the track one needed to take probably as they had more traffic with people going up & back on them twice. Really had to rely heavily on the survey markers to confirm your location which sadly have all been souveneered.
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 634068

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 07:21

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 07:21
We met two young european women naked at Dalhousie last year.
FollowupID: 634145

Follow Up By: davida - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:14

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:14
We met Adam Plate and his girlfriend swimming naked in Dalhousie in 1985. My 14 year old son had VERY wide eyes!

cheers

David
FollowupID: 635046

Sponsored Links