Srange Prodigy problem

Submitted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 18:04
ThreadID: 69105 Views:2236 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have a very strange problem with my Tekonsha Prodigy. When I am stationary, I can wind up the voltage all the way to 13 with no worries. However, as soon as I am mobile and use either the lever or the brake pedal, it goes up to around 1 volt then reports an overload. It then pulses in and out of overload as I move. Speed is not a factor - i can be just crawling and it happens. Even stranger is that it doesn't play up in reverse and works perfectly driving backwards.

Before you suggest I have a problem with worn magnets, they are all OK. I have just finished pulling everything apart and no sign of any problem either with the magnets or with any wiring. I put 12 volts directly on to the plug and wheels lock as they should with no sign of any overload condition.

I am starting to think it is the controller itself, but thought I would run this past the forum before going too much further. Has anyone experienced this issue before?

My next step is to borrow a controller and try that out.

Unfortunately (?) I am now off to the pub for tea, but will be back later to check, so sorry in advance if I don't respond immediately to any questions.

Cheers
Gerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 19:11

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 19:11
Maybe a bad earth between the 2 vehicles ??
AnswerID: 366374

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 06:03

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 06:03
Good point Paul

I ran a separate earth from the Connector plug, at the back of the Patrol, to the earth of the main battery. Thus hoping to eliminate any earthing problems.
So far so good

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 634140

Follow Up By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:21

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:21
yep me 2, i used 6mm from battery to prodigy then down to plug along with 6mm earth from battery AND earth to towbar. never had an issue with my van(tandem axle) nor my parents have used the cruiser to tow their van(single axle)
FollowupID: 634405

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:27

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:27
Normally your wheels have to be rotating for the brakes to come on as its the cam action of the magnets pulling the shoes on that makes them operate.
Could be the wiring is too light 6mm is the very least needed.
I actually have 2 strands of 6mm together.. Run an earth from the van wire direct to your car battery. Make it at least as heavy as the power wire and see if that helps.

Prodigy's dont normally give trouble if installed correctly.
Would also recommend a 7 pin LARGE round which gives a better contact area on each pin.

AnswerID: 366396

Reply By: GerryP - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 23:40

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 23:40
Thanks for the replies so far.

It has always worked fine before and has only just started doing this. Cables are heavy and earth is definitely back to the battery and not via chassis.

Can't quite figure why it's OK in reverse of while stationary and only shows a problem while moving (even really slowly) forwards. The other thing I noticed is that the pulsing into overload condition is constant irrespective of speed, so not related to how fast the wheels are rotating.

We have a vehicle at work with a prodigy, so might grab that and try it. If that doesn't help, then I'll tow someone else's van and see what happens. One way or another, I will pin it down!!

Cheers and thanks
Gerry
AnswerID: 366411

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 09:03

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 09:03
Hi Gerry,

Sounds as though you may have a short circuit somewhere though I see you say you have checked the wiring.

I do most of my own work also but sometimes a trip to the auto electrician is in order. This may be so in this case. May be money well spent and if you ask questions of the autolec we add to the knowledge base. Probably stating the bleeding obvious? I aologise
if this is so.

Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366438

Sponsored Links