Garmin GPS 72 lost satellites

Submitted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 22:32
ThreadID: 69115 Views:3098 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Garmin GPS 72 lost satellites, is mount on inside of RH A pillar .When new 3 years ago used to get 12 satellites then down to 4 now this week none.
From Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 07:38

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 07:38
Maybe your GPS is sick. I am currently getting 7 satellites on my Hema navigator sitting inside the house near an outside window.

Alan
AnswerID: 366434

Reply By: KennyBWilson - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 08:50

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 08:50
Reloading the software might fix it
AnswerID: 366436

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 10:17

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 10:17
Hi Graham
the easiest way to make sure that your Garmin is using the most up to date software, there is a very simple and easy way to check this, all for free. In a nut shell, if you follow my details below, you will update any firm and software up dates, and this could solve your problem:-

1. log on to www.garmin.com.au

2. On the Support Tab at the top of the page, select updates and downloads.

3. Then select Unit Software.

4. Download the WebUpdater, selection the operating system that your computer uses.

5. After you have the WebUpdater downloaded, turn on your GPS 72 and connect it to your computer with the supplied USB cord.

6. Double click on the WebUpdater Icon and follow the prompts.
It will detect the type of Garmin GPS that you have and then prompt you do down load any updates that there are for your unit.

The whole process should only take a few minutes and then see what happens.

Hopefully this will be all that is needed, as if your unit was faulty, I doubt that it would not work at all.

Have a go and see what happens, it is free and will make your unit be up to date, direct from Garmin.

All the Best.

Cheers Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366446

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 10:21

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 10:21
The best way to check the performance of your GPS is to go to an area, say a footy oval (large open space NO trees in proximity), turn unit on and let it stabilise (find all satellites) then check to see how many have been found. Is it different that the number found when unit was in vehicle? If so could mean for ultimate performance it might pay to install an external antennae. Not expensive, about $45 - $60
AnswerID: 366447

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 11:20

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 11:20
I had a similar problem with my Garmin Map76 GPS initially I would loose satellite reception for short periods that gradually increased till I had no reception at all, even with external antenna hooked up and in clear space. I couldn't solve the problem and I was qoted $88 for a service and the unit would have to be sent to the USA for repair. I finished up buying a Map76Cx and have had no problems as yet. I have mounted my Map76Cx on the front windscreen pillar so I'm not using the external antenna at this time, with the original Map 76 this was mounted next to my laptop and connected to the external antenna and at first thought it may have been a failure of the external antenna but was wrong. I never thought of a software malfumnction didn't try updating or reloading the software into the GPS. I might just give it a go and see what happens

Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366454

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:53

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:53
Graham/Lynne,

Odd you should bring this up. On Thursday it took mine (Nuvi 760) over an hour to pick up sats. Well out in the open, although cloudy. No apparent reason - it's fine now. Puzzling. I have recently updated but whatever, it didn't pick up, or even look like it the other day and then suddenly came good.
AnswerID: 366526

Sponsored Links