ALREADY PLANNING 2010 TRIP

Submitted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:05
ThreadID: 69133 Views:3142 Replies:5 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am off on 6th June to 'do' Cape York for a month and am already into the initia planning of my 2010 trip - annual leave form already submitted and approved (Dont say I dont plan these things properly :-) )

This is my tenative route - will take 1 month off to do it

Now before some of you jump in and say it isnt enough time - of course it isnt but who can afford to take more than 1 month off work these days (and still keep your job that is)

Plus - as some of you found out last year following me with SPOT - I cover a bit of ground :-))))

This is a google map of my prposed trip 2010

KiwiAnglers proposed 2010 trip
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:09

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:09
Hi Kiwi,

That link is taking us Wagga - Wagga via The Canning Stock Route.

Maybe a tad of confusion regarding the link?

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 366506

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:13

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:13
??

mmmmmmm

My version says I am going up through Leonora to Meekathaara, Newman, Port Hedland, Broome etc etc

Done the Canning last year dont want to do it again :-)))))

Not sure why it is telling you I am going CSR - please deont make me do it AGAIN!! :-)
FollowupID: 634211

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:23

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:23
Kiwi, I reckon looking forward and planning trips keeps you alive. On'ya for that. What's attracted you to the route between Kalgoorlie and Pt Hedland - what sights and destinations exist along that section.
AnswerID: 366510

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:33

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:33
jdwynn

Now this is going to sound strange BUT

I intend to "do' Perth, Esperance, Margret River etc up the coastline to Port Hedland as another entirely seperate trip - mmm - maybe in 2011 :-)))))

So didnt want to go over same area twice - no other reason. I havent even looked at what is between Leonora and Port Hedland yet :-))

Anyone want to fill in the gaps for me? - maybe the ExplorOz forum members can plan that entire section for me :-))) - heard of 'group hugs?" well this can be a 'group trek' :-))
FollowupID: 634215

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:27

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:27
KiwiAngler,

OK, the Cape York tip looks good, and to see that you are planning ahead is also good,

BUT

"Now before some of you jump in and say it isn't enough time - of course it isn't but who can afford to take more than 1 month off work these days (and still keep your job that is) "

And what is wrong with doing the Canning again?? :-))

Have a good trip this year and it will have to be my first shout next year around the Little Sandy Desert.

Wayne

AnswerID: 366512

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:37

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:37
Gidday Wayne - good to hear from you mate :-)

I was thinking pf all the people who might respond to that comment I reckoned you would be it :-)))

I dont know how you do it mate - I reckon the CSR (on your own, driving, navigating etc etc) is pretty tough.

I take my hat off to you mate doing it as often as you do - I will certainly do CSR again, maybe in a couple of years, but I might just take a passenger with me next time

Have you set up yur SPOT yet?

I will post my website details on this site juts before I leave for th Cape - just in case anyone wants to know where I am :-)

Chers mate - drive safe

When you going to shout me another beer?? - more likely WHERE are you going to shout me a beer :-)
FollowupID: 634217

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:49

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:49
KiwiAngler,

I do have one and will have it up and running soon. There is a small technical hitch that has to be sorted before I will be on line.

What I do want to know is where was Spot sitting when you used it last year? Does it have to be close to the windscreen or can it be in the centre console and still send the signal like a mobile phone?

Wayne
FollowupID: 634220

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:57

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:57
Wayne

I just used to leave it up on the dash, where the RHS pillar meets the windscreen

Never moved from there

I didnt try it anywhere else but I do know SPOT needs to 'see' the sky

I have just bought one of those Black Widow 'dash mat organiser' thingies and have been putting it in there lately with the "SPOT" logo facing out and works fine
FollowupID: 634222

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:11

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:11
KiwiAngler,

That is where I do have a problem, vacant space on the dash.

I might have to do some shuffling around but it should fit.

Wayne
FollowupID: 634226

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:14

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:14
Wayne

This is the set up I refer to in my post above

SPOT in dash mat organiser
FollowupID: 634227

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:48

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:48
KiwiAngler,

Image Could Not Be Found

At the moment I have SPOT next to the Garmin 128 GPS.

I would like to move it over between the Magellan Explorist XL and the Blue Ant.

The Blue Ant is a bit hard to see but there is a gap just after the Magellan to the right.

I will think about it tomorrow on the way out to Nyngan to start the next trip.

I should have got it sorted by the time I will be passing through Nyngan on my way home.

Wayne
FollowupID: 634236

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:51

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:51
Hi Gents,

I bought a SPOT last week on Australian eBay.

Then I found that Johnny Applseed GPS sell Ram Mounts for them, the bloody Ram Mount cost near as much as the SPOT!

Have a look at these photo's,

Very ordinary photo's I know but they were taken in total darkness!

Oh, they are on the same dashboard as yours Wayne, mine is a 2006 RV Troopy.

Johny Appleseed part numbers are:

RAP-B-166-2U for the suction cup base

RAM-HOL-SPO1U for the SPOT holder

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 634237

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 20:01

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 20:01
Geoff,

With the money you saved buying SPOT on eBay I see that you were able to have a full sub tank of diesel :-))

As big as these vehicles are it is not hard to fill the dash with a few electronic appliances.

Wayne
FollowupID: 634242

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 20:10

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 20:10
Too true young Wayne, too true!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 634245

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 20:49

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 20:49
Us boys and our toys eh :-))))

I reckon Waynes dashboard must look like the cockpit of a 747 at night when it is all lit up :-))))

I saw the RAM mount a while back but didnt go with it because

1) the cost and
2) have found SPOT really prefers to be horizonal rather than vertical - seems the antenna prfers to be at right angle to the sky.

I noticed on my trip when I had it vertical there were 'gaps' in the trip as opposed to when I had it horizontal

may have been co-incidence - not sure

anyway have decided to keep it horizontal
FollowupID: 634260

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 21:17

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 21:17
"I should have got it sorted by the time I will be passing through Nyngan on my way home."

Isn't that the truth!

"I noticed on my trip when I had it vertical there were 'gaps' in the trip as opposed to when I had it horizontal"

Hmm, that shouldn't be hard to deal with looking at my Ram Mount. I should be able to orient it any way I see fit!

Ok Wayne, give us the SPOT URL for this years travels so we can start each day green with envy!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 634268

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:39

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:39
It'd be a good trip but what are you going to do with the last 2 weeks off? Paint the house! Do up the vege garden!
4 weeks is good. Why not do the oodnadatta and then through the flinders on the way home. Be more interesting than down the bitumen. I'd go into Derby and go fishing for a couple of days also.
AnswerID: 366515

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:48

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:48
AJB

hhhe - love ya humour

Have done Oodndatta a couple of times now - I also might have a mate with me from NZ - he really wants to see and spend some time in Coober Pedy.

Try a bit of noodling (or maybe I can introduce him to Jock and scare the pants off him - my mate that is not Jock :-))) and he wants to stay in underground house - see the Greek Orthodox Church etc etc

FollowupID: 634219

Reply By: Member - Tim H (NSW) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 21:22

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 21:22
Hey kiwiangler,

You probably already know about it, but Karijini National Park, 400kms or so south of Port hedland (near Tom Price), is a must see in my opinion. Did the trip round about 7 years ago now, that was definitely in the top national parks i visited.
Also, just above port hedland, at the southern end of 80 mile beach, is cape keraudren, i loved it there. Got about 15 whiting in the cast net one morning, all over a ft (let most of 'em go), made a good brekky! Plenty of oysters and some good fishing.

Have a good trip
AnswerID: 366545

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 21:33

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 21:33
Tim

Thanks for the heads up

I will add it to the trek notes - especially the fishing stuff :-)))

Wom't even ask how many of the oysters worked ;-)
FollowupID: 634275

Sponsored Links