Is Honda 20i okay for home fridge?

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2009 at 17:55
ThreadID: 69164 Views:4645 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Having been through three floods and as many blackouts in a short period of time I'm trying to plan ahead to out think Mother Nature.

One thought I had was to kill two birds with one stone by purchasing a Honda 20i, Yamaha or similar gennie that would (in the case of power loss) allow me to keep the house fridge running and maybe some lights, and of course come in nice & handy at camping time too. Sounded like a good idea to me.

However, today a friend reported that he tried a smallish generator on his fridge and it wasn't powerful enough to get it going.

Can anyone tell me if the Honda 20i will generate sufficient power to operate a house fridge?

And if so where's the best place to buy one cheap in Coffs Harbour area.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 18:13

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 18:13
during the vic bushfires we were out of power for 2 days
we used our honda 20i to run 1 big fridge/freezer 1 big fridge and 1 small freezer and the plasma tv and video.
only thing we had to do was plug 1 fridge in at a time then the tv.
only a few times did a couple of fridges cycle at the same time and had to restart.tried using the washing machine but didnt work had to get the smaller genny for that
cheers
AnswerID: 366646

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 18:18

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 18:18
Hi WD,

I've used my EU10i a couple of times when the power has been off to power my domestic fridge.

That is about the limit of the EU10i but your 20i should do it easy!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 366649

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 18:25

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 18:25
Yes. Our Honda gets lots more use at home than it ever does camping. I have two big upright fridge/freezers - older style so will be power hungry, and a family sized chest freezer. The brochures give no indication of their power requirements. We rotate them one at a time for an hour each, with the genny on eco throttle. It revs a bit when we change over as it starts the fridge, but doesn't trip out at all. While running the fridge, we also have an aquarium pump (tiny) and a couple of lights. During the bushfire we also had a radio on and the two-way on scan. Very economical on fuel while on eco. A few days ago we were off power for over twenty four hours during storms, so it was out with the Honda again. We turn it off when we go to bed, and this time the fridges defrosted a bit, but still within suitable temperature range (some ice was present). A good choice.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 366654

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 19:04

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 19:04
Well this is great news. Thanks all for the replies.

I was concenred that my cunning 'Master Plan' to get myself a gennie had come unstuck by me missing the bloody obvious somewhere along the line ie it won't power the fridge. But this fear now seems to be be unfounded. Nice!

Today I was able to make it to town after 5 days stuck at home & celebrated with a real coffee & the Australian 4WD magazine in which I spotted an advert by Generator Place for Honda gennies.

Their price was $2099 with some nice bonus gear including extending the warranty to 5 years. My Missus absolutely loves EW's, so I reckon they'll be getting a call from me tomorrow.

I've heard that the Yamaha product is damn good too. So that'll need to be considered.

Same magazine advertises a Genquip. 3300 watts, 30kgs at $1999. Anyone got an opinion on them?

AnswerID: 366661

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 00:26

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 00:26
Just a point to consider, The Yamaha is rated at 2KV continuous and produces it while the Honda is from memory only 1500watts 1.5 KV. Just check it out before you commit. My son recently bought a 2 KV Yamaha and it runs the fridge and freezer with no problems
AnswerID: 366747

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 06:50

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 06:50
It depends on the fridge.

My 1kVA Kipor had no trouble running or two-door fridge during a blackout.

Then I tried running our neighbours two door fridge with it and despite trying all tricks (Smart Throttle Off, connect 100 wat light bulb), there was no way to stop it cutting out when we plugged the fridge in.
AnswerID: 366752

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:14

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:14
During a blackout (whole weekend) a few years ago we ran our fridge, freezer, TV, lights on eco throttle and it would rev up when the coolers cycled but it coped very well.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 366754

Reply By: Member - KC (TAS) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 09:25

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 09:25
This is the cheapest that I could find on the net, delivered to the front door.
yamaha 2.4 inverter generator.

AnswerID: 366775

Reply By: Perado - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:19

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:19
Hi Wayne

Try Coffs M/C and lawn care in Isles drive, they do the honda units.

Then try Gasweld further down the road, they do the yammy units.

See if they can match or go close to prices from elsewhere.

No links with either, just satisfied customer.
AnswerID: 366787

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 12:20

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 12:20
Thanks Ladies & Gents for your informative replies.

I have since made a number of calls, checked the internet & will drop in today to quiz a couple of shop owners.

Perado - Thanks for the info about generator places in Coffs harbour. Both places will see my ugly mug staring at them across the counter today. Yikes!!!!

AnswerID: 366796

Follow Up By: Member - John F (NSW) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:17

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:17
Wayne,
I went through this exercise a couple of months back, would have liked the Yammy, but at 32kg and quite a bit bulkier, went for the Honda.
It will eat a couple of fridges - mine will run a 1200w heater on eco setting.
Get the price from the online shop then do your local dealer the favour of matching it, less freight. Mine did that at Gosford.
My dealer said to get the first oil change at 5 hours, not 20 as in manual, and to not use the eco throttle during that run in time. Sounded like good advice to me. Like anything, including this site, you'll get lots of good advice and a bit of dross.
Note the advice in the manual re draining fuel if not used for an extended period - have seen others report problems from this and stale fuel. Note these motors are a little more sophisticated than an old Briggs and should be treated accordingly.
On my shopping list is an hour meter Sendec or Tiny Tach to keep track of maintenance.

Good luck, John.
FollowupID: 634496

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 09:16

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 09:16
Gidday John F

Thanks for your information. Much appreciated.

Yesterday we went to 2 shops for the gennie comparisons. One for the Honda & other for Yamaha. Must say that their information was very good. Both so helpful.

The Honda place had no gennies in stock. All taken for the Victorian bushfires. More expected in soon.

As you say the Yammy is somewhat heavier than the Honda. I thought that it was a larger piece of kit than the Honda when I saw it, but had nothing to compare it to.

Both excellent units though and as quiet as. Good to know that both will do the job with fridges as this is always a bloody concern with blackouts.

Honda better fuel economy, less weight, price better & that reputation will see us ordering the Honda. But I'd be happy with either.

I've been discussing with our neighbour and so we may order two. That may give us more purchasing power when Moi here comes to negotiate. We shall see.

You mentioned 'online shop'. What does this mean please?

Many thanks also for the pointers on oil etc. I'll copy your info to my computer and keep it.

AnswerID: 366931

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)