Stupidity at it best

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:47
ThreadID: 69175 Views:3502 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Has everyone seen the APIA Insurance advertisment on TV showing the small car hitched up to a large van what a load off garbage no wonder we see people towing VANS on the road and dont know what they are doing .Forget the FUNNY side how many people that BUY A VAN get to get to TOW it for a TEST DRIVE if it was a sedan they would at least take it for a test drive before buying maybe a food for thought just interestered in everbody thoughts
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:00

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:00
Juuuust possibly it may have been a JOKE.
Of course you see 2 story vans with sun decks everywhere.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 366696

Follow Up By: Member -Paintar- Kalgoorlie - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:16

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:16
APIA is the JOKE have a look at there prices
Regards Paintar
FollowupID: 634401

Follow Up By: geoff.will0 - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 01:22

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 01:22
May be a joke but will be hard for them to deny claims on the basis of illegal towing capacity,,,, true
FollowupID: 635905

Reply By: pojo - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 22:06

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 22:06
Maybe the premiums are just as stupid you be the JUDGE
AnswerID: 366720

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 08:13

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 08:13
They are very crafty when it comes to premiums. I'm rating one, over50 and never had a claim. When I first signed up years ago, they were the cheapest. My premium rose greater than you'd expect, but they offered ways of reducing premiums such as higher excess etc. Then I repriced them a couple of years ago and every other quote was significantly cheaper, so I moved to another company.

But they love female drivers. Two of my daughters have vehicles with them because there was no additional excess for young females and they offered premium reductions for taking a defensive driving course. And they are a good company to deal with.
FollowupID: 634447

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 08:36

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 08:36
Whoops, got mixed up - I was thinking AAMI not APIA......derrr....please ignore!
FollowupID: 634450

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:36

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:36
Same company.
FollowupID: 634501

Reply By: muzzgit - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 00:32

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 00:32
On our last trip north I got stuck behind a Ford Falcon towing dual axle monster van. He was drifting all over the road and couldn't go faster than 80 klm! The worst part was, it was obvious he had no intention of making it easy for me to overtake him.

On the way home after at Xmas I saw one of the daftest things ever!!! A Rav4 towing a dual axle van along Roe highway in Perth. The van was swaying beatifuly, both roof vents still were up, as was the TV aerial. As I passed him I couldn't believe how much the van was nose down and the car was arse down, like nothing I have ever seen before. He was doing a brilliant 70klm in a 100 zone.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 366748

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 09:49

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 09:49
We shouldn't whinge in here about this sort of stuff...it may just be your family they crash into.

So, take a photo and dob them in to the Police. ...or say something to them. Some people just need to be told they are wrong !

Cheers

FollowupID: 634456

Reply By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 09:21

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 09:21
Guys & Girls,

Insurance came up on another forum and I mentioned the price difference by going to APIA.

Last year I consolidated all my insurances.(2 cars & 2 houses) with a large motoring organisation who gave me a multi policy discount....wow!!!!

This year, both my car premiums increased and, carelessly, the y are both due on the same day. Here are the price differences

Current Insurer

Toyota LC200 $1300
Mercedes Benz E320 $1600

APIA

LC200 $950
MB $930

Criticise APIA all you like, with premium price savings like that, you know who I am insuring with this year. And, in case you don't know, you have to over 50 and working less than 20hrs a week I think it is.

As for the ad...., come on, nobody takes that seriously. You cannot legally tow a van with an ATM greater than the towing capacity of the tow vehicle and, in the case of the ad, the car has a towing capacity of around 1200kg I would suspect. The van, if such a thing ever existed would have an ATM of around 3000kg.

And one other thing about towing and speed. Most sensible vanners don't go much over 90kmh. I would much rather tow safely and avoid an accident that could not only wipe out my expensive retirement investment but the lives of myself, wife and a few others to boot, than to please some impatient b****d behind who will have plenty of overtaking opportunities every 6-7km.
AnswerID: 366774

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 12:16

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 12:16
Thanks for the info. on APIA Don as I'm about to check them out myself following receipt of an horrendous premium increase for house and contents.
Total rip off of someone who's never made a claim against any of their policies.... 2 vehicles, camper trailer, boat and trailer, H & C and other stuff over the years.
You're right about towing speeds as well, I travel at approx. 90 - 95 as it's economical and allows for others to overtake safely but it's obviously not good enough for a lot of the turkeys on the road, including some on this forum particularly, who rant about "mobile roadblocks"!
They should take a serious look at their driving skills and attitudes then maybe 4 wheel drives wouldn't attract so much critiscm in the press.
Happy motoring.
AlanTH.

FollowupID: 634475

Reply By: Flywest - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 14:23

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 14:23
Having turned 50 a month ago I chaged to them also for the F truck - more than halved my policy cost from SGIO.

Yes I too am 65% no claims, and a 30 year driving history with no accidents!.

APIA even had an agreed value insurance policy where i could cover my vehicle for EVERYTHING including all the mods/accessories I have made to it for better towing.

What I don't know is what they are like to claim with? (Many seem to kiss your butt when your giving them money BUT can be questionable to deal with at claim time I am told by others).

Anyone had claims experience with APIA care to comment?

Cheers!
AnswerID: 366801

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 15:34

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 15:34
It appears to be "sixes and sevens" when it comes to APIA.

When we got to the stage of "qualifying" for their coverage we looked for quotes on house, contents, two cars both Greenslip and Comprehensive not to mention boat and campertrailer/caravan insurance.

APIA were way out of line with our current insurer, dearer by enough to be laughable.

Just love their advertising catch line.

What do they say?
"We don't charge you extra to pay by the month"

What do they actually mean?
"We don't give you a discount should you pay up to a year in advance".

They do seem to be more than competitive in some instances. I suspect that they are "cherry picking" the business they are prepared to accept and "costing" away those people who live in "higher risk" areas.

Ian.
AnswerID: 366808

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 18:08

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 18:08
They are all the same, I love that Shannons add that says
"We will insure you daily driver"
My daily driver is a V8 ute and they said sorry mate but we only insure enthusiasts, if your not in a car club with it and attending shows we dont want it.
Thats on two seperate occassions so you see they all lie and just pick and choose what they want. Youi give me the best deal of all of them, $300 per annum cheaper than NRMA who was the second cheapest.
AnswerID: 366837

Reply By: Warstar - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 18:42

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 18:42
I have 2 vehicles. a caravan and a home & contents policy with APIA. By the way their claim service is V good, its handled by AAMI.

I price all policies as they come due, and APIA is the cheapest for me. I have the 50 year rebate from RACV (15%?) and they are far more expensive, even allowing the rebate!
AnswerID: 366847

Follow Up By: pojo - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 06:59

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 06:59
I would lke to warn all you who are insured with APIA and seem happy with thieir policy carefully read the policy as it is not as clear as as it seems ,just wait till you make a claim as`I have first hand EXPERIENCE with them and their so called consultants
FollowupID: 634567

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 08:15

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 08:15
APIA for me too. They were the cheapest by a mile on my van. Curiously though they weren't in the ballpark for any of my other insurance, house and contents or car.
AnswerID: 367539

Sponsored Links