Mt Dare to Oodnadatta via Dalhousie Feedback

May 2009 - towing a 1t van. Mt Dare to Dalhousie the track is a shocker. Rocks as big as bricks and corrugations to match. What a relief to arrive at the soothing springs after getting a hammering at 40kmh. Heading out of Witjira NP towards Pedirka is another ungraded section until the park boundary, upon which there is a remarkable improvement! Funny about that. The Pedirka sandhills section is smooth with some fun curves. From Hamilton to the Oodnadatta track is a roller coaster over and around the dunes - hold on to your stomachs!! So yes the facilities at the springs are good but some of the $107 for the desert parks pass could be spent on some grading.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:27

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:27
Thanks for the report Glenn. I was wondering what sort of van you have and if it coping well with the road conditions.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 366756

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn H (NSW) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 14:29

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 14:29
Hi Beatit, pic of van is in my profile - a 1979 Jayco Swan. SWMBO had hoped that last years Cape York trip would be its last but I gained a reprieve for Central Oz just completed. About 4000km of dirt/sand/stones/gravel/clay with the Mt Dare to Dalhousie the worst but closely followed by the Mereenie Loop Rd. Should have seen my mates white knuckles after doing that in his Magna towing a C/T. The $64 question is whether the old Swan has got any more life in it - perhaps just for our secret mens business blokes only week in the Vic high country next Jan. Cheers, Glenn
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 634482

Reply By: Ozrover - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 08:52

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 08:52
Gerday Glenn,
The track from Bloods creek bore to Dalhousie is a better option, not as rough & much more scenic with a bit of history at the Federal ruins.
There will be some grading around Dalhousie within the next few weeks as well.
If you wern't going into the desert why not just get a day permit for Dalhousie?

AnswerID: 366768

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn H (NSW) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 14:16

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 14:16
Hi Jeff, quite a few others, including tour operators, grizzled about the track and its lack of grading over the years. Good to hear that the blade is soon to be applied. Three days at the springs was most relaxing - just what the doctor ordered to soothe those aches and pains. Had a 220km round trip to just past junction of French line and Rig Rd. That got dunes out of the system, although we did the Big Red end a week later. Cheers, Glenn
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 634481

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 00:04

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 00:04
Can't believe all you people whinging about ungraded roads in the desert and outback !
What'll it be next that you'd like ? Bituman all the way to the cape ? Maybe a 6 foot fence and entry fee for the dalhousie springs ? What about a toll for the newly tar sealed Walkers Xing track ?
It's the desert for crying out loud, if it's too rough for you then don't go, the quickest way to stuff up central and remote Australia is to grade and seal the roads and make it accessable to all the w@nker$.
And yes Glen that was me you saw out there on the bike, how are you ? Don't take the above personally, it's just my opinion :-)

Cheers
Pezza
AnswerID: 366908

Sponsored Links