Climbing Uluru

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 692 Views:1442 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, I have heard a rumour that this is the last year that you can climb Uluru - is this correct?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00
The Traditional owners ask that people don't climb the Rock, it's one of their sacred sites, you probably wouldn't want to, same as you probably haven't climbed the Sydney Opera House !
tim
AnswerID: 1864

Reply By: Tom Clarke - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00

I've heard many different stories about not climbing Uluru, but the one that I have been told is true is that the Traditional Owners ask that people don't climb more for the climbers own safety than simply the fact that it is a Sacred Site - much the same as people discourage someone from driving up Widow Maker Hills and the like because of the danger...
AnswerID: 1865

Reply By: Tom Clarke - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00

I've heard many different stories about not climbing Uluru, but the one that I have been told is true is that the Traditional Owners ask that people don't climb more for the climbers own safety than simply the fact that it is a Sacred Site - much the same as people discourage someone from driving up Widow Maker Hills and the like because of the danger...
AnswerID: 1866

Follow Up By: Tim - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00
Tom : have you been there ??

Tim
FollowupID: 634

Reply By: Tom Clarke - Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Tim,

Yes, I have been to Uluru a couple of times. It is an awsome place!

Tom.
AnswerID: 1901

Follow Up By: Ray - Saturday, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:00
Hi,

Awesome is right I've been there twice and would like to go back. You can't describe the feeling just driving up to the rock from a distance. I walked the first time and it was great, a fair effort and dangerous due to the number of bus tourists on tight time tables. I'd love to go back but the cost of this place is pretty much a rip off. Camping costs and entry costs make it a very expensive trip for a few days and if you've got a camper or van it's worse. I will probably go back begrudgingly and pay the price but it puts a damper on it knowing the politics behind it. I spoke to a few locals and the wealth generated is very large and certainly not shared, (their view). The last time I was there a big racket was going on with ticket scalping, maybe not fair you say, I guess not, but if they would have day passes instead of the min of 3 days they would stamp it out and the cost would be a bit better for campers on a budget. Now off my soap box!! If you havn't been there you've got to it's been the highlight of all my travelling, just the drive up is incredible. Whether you walk up or not is up to you but the experience of being there is unbeatable.

Regards
FollowupID: 653

Reply By: neil- Saturday, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:00
Paul, I've heard a similar rumour but with 2002 being a huge year out there I think the pressure to reconsider this proposal has been brought to bare........besides if the tradional owners didn't want you to climb it they should've removed the first section of chains, some time ago this would've put a few people off.
AnswerID: 1926

Reply By: rich - Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00
Uluru can still be climbed. 1000's of OS tourists go up each week. Its worth it!
FREE Camping can be found on the left about 25k? short of Yulara, this is also a good spot to pick up 2 days of a a 3 day pass (only one full day is needed for a good look at just Uluru) Make sure it is for the same vehicle type.
PS Only Telsra mobile works there if you want to call anybody.
AnswerID: 1929

Reply By: pen - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:00
Only rumours! If you haven't been there before, you have to climb it, but take lots of care & water with you on the climb. DON'T miss the Olgas, they are better in my opinion. A great place to camp, cheap & friendly is Curtin Springs, approx. 80k's before Yulara.
AnswerID: 1968

Reply By: James - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:00
Paul, I was at Uluru 3 weeks ago. I spent 2 nights there, walked around it, climbed it and did a helicopter ride. I am also a supporter of reconcilliation. The walk around took 3.5 hours and was hard work due to the heat. There were some interesting areas including a small water fall but it was generally a lot of walking - about 9.5km. In the cooler months it may be more enjoyable. There were less than a dozen people walking around. If the forecasted temperature is above 38C then the clinb gets closed at 8am. So we started the climb at about 6.30am along with in excess of 200 people - almost all tourists. It took 2.5 hours with a generous 45mins at the top. It was certainly the highlight. Quite physically demanding. We thought long and hard about climbing it or not. There is no climbing of the Olgas so the Land Owners could easily remove the chains and ban climbing of Uluru. They choose not to do this but they have a lot of signs up saying that tourists should choose not to climb it and respect their wishes. If they were serious, they would just close the climb like they do most days after 8am during the summer months when it is hot. Speaking to the German, American. Japanese and other tourists, a lot of them planned a trip to Australia with the intention of climbing Uluru ( along with smimming at Bondi Beach and going shopping in the Burke St Mall). I believe the decision to keep the climb open is a purely financial decision, otherwise they would have closed the climb when the land was handed back to it's rightful owners in the 1980's.
AnswerID: 1990

Follow Up By: Rich - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:00
SPOT ON!

I wasn't going to go down the cynical route, but if you saw the grin on the girls face at the tourist centre when she tells me that film was $10 a roll ! knowing full well the next nearest town is Yulara. They also sell postcards of the very features of Uluru they ask not to be photographed "for cultural reasons" !! This is the McDonalds of Ozzie culture, be EARLY at the gate for opening time - sitting behind 40 (or 400!) fumbling tourists looking for the right Aussie dollars as the sun rises over the rock is VERY frustrating (for a photographer), ENJOY the climb- it can be run up in about 40 minutes (I can personally attest to this) but not enjoyable, take LOTS of film and WAIT for 10-15 minutes after everybody else has left for the best sunset shots - from a carpark just outside? the gate from memory.

Cheers
Rich
FollowupID: 689

Reply By: Phil - Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00
I think that if you go to Ayres Rock you have to climb it. Don't rush it but treat it with respect as several people have died trying to climb it. If you have a heart condition don't even consider it. When I was there several years ago we stayed at Curtain Springs and travelled to the rock and olgas. It was cheaper as we had 3 kids and 2 adults. Bought a pass with 2 days remaining for $5.00ea. Kids are free. Don't miss Kings Canyon, the 4 hour rim walk is a must
AnswerID: 2019

Sponsored Links