Cape York OTL conditions

Hi there

Done a search on this already but all 2009 comments seem to be on the bypass roads. Can anyone provide an update on the OT line trek - is gunshot passable this year - Nolans Brook etc.
What is the recommended earliest time a non snorkel well set up vehicle can go through the OTL this season
Is the water likely to be higher or lower than last year at the same time?
Any info or links to info will be welcome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:38

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:38
Hi CJ, we have just come up the main road to the tip, so the only info I have is second hand.
We just met a bunch of lads from Brisbane who arrived via the OTL in 3 vehicles that they bought for the excursion.
They were an FJ40 (no snorkel), an HJ60 (I think) and a Subaru waggon (petrol with PVC pipe snorkel sticking through a hole in the bonnet!) The most expensive vehicle cost $1200.
They all made it to the "Tip", but they drowned the Suburu in the ocean trying to get it a bit closer and they traded it at Punsand Bay for some meals and accomodation. It had no windscreen and had been pushed hard through a few crossings from the look of the bull bar marks in the tailgate.
Mind you, they were quite happy to loose all of the vehicles in the attempt. They reported windscreen depth water.

I also talked to a guy in a Patrol who came through, but I did not notice if he had a snorkel or not. It was his first time up and he was still shaking......

Might be able to give you some first hand info in a couple of weeks????

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 366828

Reply By: joff1 - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:52

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 17:52
Just talking to a young fella here in Cairns that just got back. He tells me the hardest crossing is the first 'Palm Creek'. From there it was reasonably easy although some crossings were 3' deep. He was in a Patrol with snorkle so it was no issue for him.

Apparently someone (he said Telstra) has pushed a new track through Gunshot so the big dip is now all but gone. He was also warned off a log bridge somewhere because of the size of the vehicle but I don't know where that was.

All hearsay so don't shoot he messenger. We will be hitting it in a few weeks I guess.
AnswerID: 366833

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 21:03

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 21:03
Did you have a look at Cape Yorker?

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 634530

Follow Up By: Mrbrush - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 21:25

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 21:25
I found palm creek was easy 1m deep back in 2007 it was also muddy so we could`nt see the base. On our return run we stopped at brawell Jct, I mentioned the depth to the owner He said stay to the left where it is very shallow but I still don`t know if thats true. It had the worst exit.

I can`t believe the gunshot dipper is gone that`s half the reason people travel this amazing track, It was the tracks major icon. Damn Telstra.Aleast I can say I tackled it.

I watched the Gal Bros Dvd Cape 2008 and the log bridge is looking more worse for wear than when I was up there.

FollowupID: 634534

Follow Up By: joff1 - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:53

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:53
Geoff, Yep, been reading up.

Mrbrush. This fella said the water was low. it was just the approach that was a bit of an issue. He was nth bound so was prolly your exit.
FollowupID: 634555

Sponsored Links