Best websites for Boilermaker looking for work when travelling??

Submitted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 17:49
ThreadID: 69240 Views:4261 Replies:5 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Heading north on 15th June 09 with family on a trip around OZ (leaving from Ncle) and want to look for work here and there to top up the bank account now and then. Being an experienced trade qualified Boilermaker I am keen to pick up casual short-term work in NT and/or WA etc where the pay is suppose to be good...

Any advice or recommendations on the best websites for looking up upcoming vacancies would be much appreciated. I have been told there is good money to be made and keen to hear from anyone with any info on where to look and what to expect.

If I pick up a good work opportunity the wife and 2 young kids will be required to stay at a caravan park for the time I am at work in our camper trailer. Happy to do up to 4 weeks max. at a time but shorter stints here and there would be better if they exist....

As we have sold our house to do this trip also open minded to relocation as well if again the right job with good pay came up. Anyone out there that has done this would be great to hear your story????

THANKS IN ADVANCE
JUST GOIN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:05

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:05
Hi Just. There is an electronic publication on the net that you can subscribe to and find out what jobs are coming up and where.
Ring Labour Hire in Brisvagas for some work there.
There is supposed to be a facility happening in Darwin, and of course the Pluto is happening in NW Oz.
In WA they like you to be perm and have an addy, a not uncommon state of affairs.
Develop your networking skills and use them. The resulting phone calls are a tax writedown.
And no I'm not a boilermaker :))

AnswerID: 367017

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:08

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:08
Used to work with a fella that was known as the "boilermaker". As he was a qualified sparky I asked another bloke in the shop why the nickname. Seems it was more to do with the ages of his many and varied lady friends than his official trade qualifications. ;-0)))))

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 634758

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:16

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:16
Haven't heard that one before. Obviously his taste in ladies was somewhat less than optimal .:))
FollowupID: 634762

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:26

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:26
We put it down to failing eyesight and not being in a position to be too fussy. He wasn't exactly in his prime and certainly no oil painting

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 634767

Reply By: just goin - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 13:54

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 13:54
Obviously not many explore oz members with any USEFUL feedback or websites of assistance....will look elsewhere for some advice on this one.

Thanks Anyway
AnswerID: 367154

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 14:17

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 14:17
Obviously no less knowledge than you.

Think nothing of it.
FollowupID: 634861

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 14:18

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 14:18
Obviously no less knowledge than you have.
FollowupID: 634862

Follow Up By: just goin - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 15:12

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 15:12
Such fantastic intelligence.....little wonder other genuine people (like myself) are deterred from using such wonderful forums as this. My question I thought would have been familiar to many travelling people looking for work here and there given this is a explore oz website????. I didnt think I wrote any comments that warranted you wasting my time with your unecessary two bobs worth that you have written above.....hmmm the mind boggles. Waste someone elses time please as I am busy planning a wonderful trip around oz and theres no room for this nonsense on my email - Thanks!
FollowupID: 634870

Follow Up By: Exploder - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:04

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:04
Seek.com.au
Jsekker.com.au

My friend is a boilermaker and he is on that website just about every day looking for Better jobs.

I think you are best is go for Shutdown work if you are after sort term stints that pay well.

Try the likes of
Skilled
Downer
Mine people
Linkforce
Hays
workpac

Or just Google "Shutdown Work in WA"
FollowupID: 634894

Follow Up By: just goin - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 07:46

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 07:46
Exploder,

Thanks for that mate - fantastic advice. I will look at the google option you mentioned as havent tried that one as yet.

Thanks again - Just Goin
FollowupID: 634999

Reply By: Stretch 1281 - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:12

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:12
just goin

Hi mate hopefully I can provide you with some helpful info. I am writing from Mount Isa, there is still a bit of work going on in town. There is shutdowns on every week or two at the surface plants in town. They stagger the shutdowns between the plants so to not use up the labour in town on each other at the same time. If you wish to work on the mining lease you will need to be inducted which involves costs and time. Also you could also get some work at one of the manufacturing shops in town. You seem like a hard working no nonsense family guy who is not afraid of a bit of dirt so don't count out some labouring work, at the end of the day you will still earn a bit of money.

Something out of left field, have you thought about contacting cattle stations along your route of travel. It is the dry up here so they will be performing plenty of work. If you mention to them that you are a trade qualified boily they might be pretty keen to see you as your welding skills will be better then their stockmens. You can help them repair/manufacture fences, gates and yards. Also this will be an awesome experience for your family to be on a working cattle station and get amongst it.

As stated before its the dry season up here which is also grey nomad season so if you plan on staying for a while call ahead to the caravan parks. If you wish to chat further don't hesitate to email me if that doesn't work I'll check your post again and then try to contact you.

Nathan
AnswerID: 367243

Follow Up By: just goin - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 07:54

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 07:54
Nathan,

Thank you very much mate! I was thinking of having a look around Mt Isa area as the first port of call for looking up work so great to hear from someone actually in the know. Are they very strict up there with regards to requiring a fixed address in order to be able to take on short term work????

Also your comments on the grey nomads - we were wondering how hard we will find the accomm stakes as the wife is keen with 2 yound kids (2 & 5) to use the caravan park options mainly for our stays. But we also didnt know what to expect with regard to availability etc. We have avoided going on the trip until now as to be in the better weather for travelling up north but also to avoid the xmas 6 week school holidays around the country but may still find it challenging to find accomm due to the grey nomads from what you say....we have a laptop so will try and be a prepared booking ahead but we are planning on just going with the flow as much as possible and didnt want to stick to a concrete itenary....fingers crossed.

The cattle station option I hadnt thought of....great advice. Is the best way to find out of any options via the job seeker websites as well I am guessing???

I have been working for a Rio Tinto owned company for about a year and before that 5 years at a aluminium smelter so have experience in that area. Prior to this 7 years in heavy mining machinery fabrication. Would be good to get some mining experience on the resume but very hard to get your foot in the door in Newcastle area...seems people have to head north or west to get a start and that helps them in the door when they get back here....

Thanks again for all your helpful advice - this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. If you have anything else to add or pass on please do!!!

Cheers - Just Goin
FollowupID: 635001

Follow Up By: Stretch 1281 - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 10:59

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 10:59
just goin

Are they very strict up there with regards to requiring a fixed address in order to be able to take on short term work????
I'm not really knowledgeable about this one. You could speak to some of the contracting companies up here they might help. The main ones used by the mines are downer, monadelphous or for welding work RGM welding. But I can't see a problem with it as there is plenty of people who live permanently at caravan parks or short term units.
As you know from working for Rio you will need to be inducted for this and that before you can even thinking about doing some work. This is where the costs and time comes into it.

With regards to the caravan park accommodation give the caravan parks in town a call and they will give you the info. In saying that though there doesn't seem to be too many grey nomads around town compared to years gone by, I guess some of them are feeling the pinch. Honestly I can't see you having too much trouble, it might be only if you wish to stay for an extended period and they have a tour group or something coming in a week. There is plenty of parks in town.

With the cattle station option I think this one will be more word of mouth. You could call ahead to the agricultural products distributors in the area of question, i.e. elders, wesfarmers or produce agencies. They will have a far idea of whats going on as they sell the gear to the properties. If you tell them about your plans they might give you the property details or give your details to the property.

When you speak of "it would be good to get some mining experience" there is plenty of opportunities if you willing to have a go. Be careful what you wish for as there are plenty of people in town who came for a year or two and 20 years later are still here. Myself is a prime example, the wife and myself are born and bred novocastrians. I completed my apprenticeship at the power stations up the valley. Then couldn't get a start down there so moved up here. Five years on and we are looking to start a family so looks like will be here for a bit longer. Its a good town though so don't take that in a bad way.

Also think about what the other person said about signage on your vehicle.
Speak to an accountant I'm sure you can turn that into some tax advantage. Then get a little bit extra back from the tax man this or next year.

Hope this helps
Nathan
FollowupID: 635204

Follow Up By: just goin - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 14:38

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 14:38
Helps heaps thanks Nathan.

Have to got stickers arranged asap I think as only 2 weeks til we leave.

JUST GOIN
FollowupID: 635240

Reply By: kingswoodwagon - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 08:32

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 08:32
While your Goggling and planning your trip
Make sure you google Marcsta. It might come in handy over here.

It also doesnt hurt to get some stickers made up for car windows mentioning your trade.

Have fun.
AnswerID: 367328

Follow Up By: just goin - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:37

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:37
Good advice - I was thinking of doing that but wasnt sure how affective it will be.

Thanks and will do this one I think - Just Going
FollowupID: 635090

Reply By: OutbackAdventure - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 09:01

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 09:01
Hi Just Goin
we are doing the same as you at the moment, my husband is a boilermaker and is registered with a few companies - Workpac, Skilled, Total Fab (townsville only) as well as looking at Career One and Seek. He also has his crane ticket, EWP, basic dogger and rigger tickets. We receive text messages when shutdowns are going on and we let them know where we are. At the moment we are in Townsville for a month and he has work in a heavy duty workshop. We will also be considering putting the sign up in the 4wd to help find work around the way. We have heard from several people about the stations but haven't tried it yet.
As far as Caravan Parks go, we avoid them as they chew into the budget too fast and you have to stop more often for work. Admittedly our family consists of us and our 13yr old daughter, so maybe it's more feasible for us than you. We only stay in them if there's work in town. Luckily we have his parents here to stay with, caravan parks can be extremely noisy anytime of the day or night and being in a camper trailer, the walls are thin.
Good luck and happy travelling.
Our website for the trip
Shell, Geoff and Erin
AnswerID: 367340

Follow Up By: just goin - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:43

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:43
Hi Guys,

We are actually subsribed to your Expedition Australia adventure. We have been avid readers of that website too for about 18 months now since we started doing the serious planning for our trip.

Thanks for your comments above. Extremely useful information with Geoff being a Boilermaker as well. I have the same tickets as Geoff so hopefully shouldnt have too much trouble picking up something that pays well here and there...how are you finding the coin in Townsville???

Caravan Park costs I am hearing you - but with the kids ages we dont feel that we will be able to cope for too many days in free camps with limited facilities. Gaining work here and there will basically be to pay for that side of the trip .The rest of the expenses we have saved for but then again I am told that most budgets tend to blow out quite quickly if you dont keep a close on on your spending????

Will look at registering with the companies you mention plus the others in other replies here....

Thanks guys for all your advice and please feel free to add anything else to assist us as well if you get time......

JUST GOIN
FollowupID: 635091

Follow Up By: OutbackAdventure - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:29

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:29
Hi Just Goin
quick question - are you Rod by any chance? Coin's always good in Townsville, didn't have much trouble finding work, hardest part was choosing which job to take. There's always shutdowns between here and Cairns and out to the Isa, some fly-in fly-out from Tville too.
We keep a strong eye on the budget so that it doesn't get away from us because working is our only income. Fingers crossed, haven't had a problem so far, but where we saved in accommodation on the way up, we spent in extra tools and wiring for trailer problem. We use the Camps Australia 5 book as our bible, and also have the laptop for checking ahead as well as Erin's schooling. As far as limited facilities go, we have a 12v shower, porta pottie and ensuite tent which does us fine, and hand washing isn't a problem if you wash your smalls with you in the shower and bigger stuff every 3-4 days - guy ropes are great clotheslines. Caravan facilites are overrated and overcharged. A lot of the campsites and rest areas we've been to have showers and toilets - some even hot showers, free. I can understand where you are coming from with needing to stay in Parks, but we prefer to save our money where we can and enjoy other luxuries like a plane ride over the Bungles or something.
Keep us posted how you do.
Cheers
Geoff, Shell and Erin
FollowupID: 635101

Follow Up By: just goin - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 14:36

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 14:36
No Not Rod. Will send you an email through your expedition australia website with our email details so we can keep in touch.

THanks for the info above.

Just Goin
FollowupID: 635239

Sponsored Links