Airbag Man coil rite

Submitted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:00
ThreadID: 69241 Views:5518 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I just ordered the Airbag Mans Coil-Rite set up. (the blue bags that sits in the coil).
$345 inc GST. not too bad.
the thing that has surprised me is that they can lift dead weight. meaning that i can pump them up when all the weight is in.

i didn't realise you could do that with those kinds of bags, well i know pollyair say not to do it.

I spoke to the bloke at Airbag Man, and he said "you sure can with our bags", infact, he even tried to sell me the in cab controls for it.

will get them soon and will do a follow up post for everyone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:01

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:01
My 80 series is in the workshop today having them fitted and will get it back tomorrow. I went for the Coil-Rites because you can pump them up from flat although I think you are better of pumping them up before you load the truck then let them down to the height required.
I didn't buy them to increase the ride height just to hold it to normal when loaded. We did the Cape in 2007 and the arse was well down even with the heavier OME coils.
I am going to the Simpson in August and need an extra 80 litres of fuel and 50 litres of water plus all our camping gear for a month so this will be a good test for them.

AnswerID: 367026

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:47

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:47
Keep an eye out for us Rod as we will be in the Simpson in August - probably around 12 Aug for a week. Will be in a convoy of 1 x 105S cruiser, 1xdisco, 1xprado, 1x frontera and my mighty D40. Will keep a lookout for you.

Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 634898

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:45

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:45
I have the coil rites in my 100 series and love them, i had an initial problem with the brass fitting leaking in the top of the bag(early ones) but they replaced both with the series 2 units(same as current) i also have the incab adjuster, brilliant idea being able to change the pressures on the go. but my advise would be to source it from the states BUT now with the financial blow out it may not work out too much cheaper. how much is the incab here now?? $ 600 or so? i paid $204 dollars delivered to my door from michigan. but that was 4 or so years ago. just beware that if you decide to run incab you need an onboard compressor,i have this and a 15 ltr air tank.
AnswerID: 367048

Reply By: Graham & Lynne - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:21

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:21
Greg T (ACT)
Just got a warranty coil rite bag back today was 10 months old leaked around brass fitting for my 80 series.
From Graham
AnswerID: 367061

Reply By: chisel - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:48

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:48
I just got a pair of coil-rites fitted today to my 100. $365+fitting (you don't want to know what the fitting cost was) at arb. Expensive compared to getting a polyair kit and doing it myself but I don't have the time or gear to do it myself. Anyway, hope they work out - good to know I can definitely pump up while loaded.
AnswerID: 367089

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 08:44

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 08:44
I purchased a set of airbags from Hobzees 4x4 who advertise on ebay. Airbags, air tank, Grande Boss compressor, in cab controllers and all sundry lines cost $1000 delivered to my door in WA. I believe they have gone up a bit now but still a great price. These are fitted on my VDJ V8 landcruiser ute. I put a slide on camper on the back with the bags flat and pump them up.

They advertise that when testing the bags they pumped them up to 1000 psi without fail before they thought it was getting a bit dangerous. I will usually run 80psi in the bags when fully loaded. I have had a fully loaded camper on the back and been on rough tracks, boggy sandy beaches and long fishing trips - Steep Point WA. Just great.

I fitted the whole lot myself. The air bags where the easiest to fit. Literally just remove the existing rubber bump stops and put the air bags in place. Run a line to where every you want. If anyone is looking for airbags I would recommend these ones.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367117

Reply By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:15

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:15
i got quoted $745 for the incab system.
That was the pump, tank (3 gallon), fittings+hoses, and the in cab system.
im figuring that i could do a little bit of research and make the kit with my existing compressor myself.

He did state that i would require a restrictive valve so i wouldn't blow them up past 30psi.... good idea i say

but for now it will be manual. cant wait to get the rear end off the ground when loaded with the roof top tent and camping gear.

next on the list is the steel bar and winch to soften the front suspension....yes that should do it.

i will have to keep the leak in mind when fitting it. air compressor connection glue should do the trick.
AnswerID: 367188

Reply By: blue one - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 20:49

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 20:49
Wow

I had mine delivered from California to Syd for $150 and installed them myself.

Cheers
AnswerID: 367235

Reply By: viz - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:54

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:54
Have airsprings in the rear of my LC100 [full replacement, not inserts).

For switching I used a couple of rocker switches, electro-pneumatic valves and valve manifold from Norgren, some tubing and fittings, some wiring etc and some parts from Bunnings to mount it all. Dunno if it cost me more than $150. Might have cost me some neurons thinking about it. Works a treat.

The dear bit was the compressor - Endless Air 8 cfm a/c pump under the bonnet - that rocks mate. Will happily run a rattle gun for the tyres... Pumps a tyre from flat in about 30 seconds - that is REAL good after a day in the dunes...

viz
AnswerID: 367504

Follow Up By: tonyV - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:06

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:06
Hi viz, I am trying to do the same as you have done here,

How did you adapt the air bags to the spring mounts and what air bags did you use?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Tony.
FollowupID: 635431

Follow Up By: viz - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 22:30

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 22:30
Hi Tony - bought a kit [not cheap] from this mob

http://www.allair.com.au/

Very easy to install - basically the hardest things was to get the old springs out. The bags were basically bolt on [or in]. Routing the tubing was the next job, then setting up the valves. I use electro-pneumatic two way valves from Norgren Austtralia, but there are other options [e.g. from All Air]. The air spring kit does come with schrader valves which will get you started, but are a pain to adjust.

I had thought of self levelling suspension electronics but did not install for two reasons:

1. Very expensive in Oz, cheaper to buy direct from the US
2. Self levelling underbody installation very sensitive to sticks and stones

I self level now by eye in the cab and have gotten very accurate.

Very important to have the right shockies - airsprings do not necessarily have a softer ride and have a little less travel than an equivalent spring - I use Tough Dog adjustables, after considering Konis, Bilstein and others. Not a fan of US shocks - prefer European, but this set is going well. Because you can adjust the spring rate by air pressure, I feel that you need to be able to adjust the shocks too. Could I get better shocks - probably but they would have to be custom built [Bilstein] and at quite an additional premium [been there done that].

I had to do the fronts as well - this kit was a 2" lift kit and soon found that the front end became the limiting factor for a number of reasons. However I chose to go the coil spring way, using Lovells variable rate springs [2" higher] - reason why not the air springs - very expensive, required some machining and used Range Rover airbags and I never liked the way they worked [known to blow in the most inconvenient of places]. Nissan Patrols can use the same air springs all round and is a very good setup. Can't use air springs on IFS.

Biggest Huge-est [I like mauling the English language ;)] advantage - constant ride height with all loads; the heavier the load the sweeter the ride [closest to Rangie]; does not feel like you are driving on cobbles when lightly laden - though it is a little less comfortable; I suspect that is because the shockies are set to heavier loads and I am too lazy to climb down and adjust all the time. Be good to have shocks with in-cab adjustment, but from experience quality is not near as good [well then it wasn't - might be better today]...

One proviso to all this: when going bush, take a spare air spring. First time I went into the bush with this setup I had a stick go between the rear brake back plate and shockie, tried to take out the brake hose and was on its way to the air spring, with a nicely sharpened point. Flukey as hell, but a stick will do the same damage to the air spring as it would do to a tyre. Take a spare and some tools.

HTH - any more advice required don't hesitate to post - if you are in SY, you can pop by and see the rig.

viz
FollowupID: 635438

Follow Up By: tonyV - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 10:19

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 10:19
Hi, Viz,
Thank you for your help, You were right when you said the kit was not cheap.
I going to see if I can make my own brackets and get some air bags to suit.

Thank you again,
Tony.
FollowupID: 635788

Sponsored Links