Navara D40 Auto diesel problem

Submitted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:39
ThreadID: 69252 Views:3747 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Dropped our Navara in for its routine 60,000 km service last Friday and the mechanic discovered that the vacuum pump sprocket in the timing is chipped. Consequently we now have a 4 to 7 week week wait until the part arrives from Spain and is fitted. None available in Australia we were told!

Just wondering whether any other Navara owners have had a similar problem.

The vehicle is only just two years old and has been serviced regularly.

Currently almost half way into our trip from the east coast so not too pleased at spending months in the one caravan park - on the west coast.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:46

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:46
Heather is Nissan giving you a loan vehicle capable of towing your van?

Whereabouts are you staying at the moment?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 367088

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:01

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:01
Hi Gone Bush,
The Nissan dealer/service centre lent us a courtesy car until today and have been very good to deal with. Nissan Aust have provided us with a hire vehicle - Camry sedan - I guess until we have the Navara back on the road. Picked it up today. Not able to tow with it, and have to pay our own insurance at $24 per day - which we declined.

Better than no vehicle though as we are 10 kms out of town.

Will member message you.

Regards
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 634775

Reply By: saltwatertrekker - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:03

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:03
mate ive just gone threw my second motor in my 2005 t/d triton the reason being overload of vehicles in workshop from a well knowen dealer in perth and apprentice machanics, they will dribble you any story and after 6 week of waiting and no courtacy car wich ment no work it put me well in the bleep , even with a warranty they still tried to charge me for it and i was repetedly telling them it was over heating there reply was it was ment to hence the head cracked, i called channel 7 and they fixed it free of charged and sent me a courtacy car, beleive me there all robbers
AnswerID: 367093

Follow Up By: saltwatertrekker - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:04

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:04
also thoes parts are readly available in w.a
FollowupID: 634776

Reply By: Malleerv - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 06:38

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 06:38
Haven't Nissan Heard of Air-mail. i would be telling them to get it here pronto. Should only cost $100 max for a small part.

Is it under warranty. A part like that should not fail unless it was damaged from new or accidentally damaged when some work was being done on or near it!

I would be Questioning them how they came to find it was Damaged. Do they pull the pump out for a service on them?? What were they doing near the timing chain on a service anyway? sounds sus to me.

Cheers Matt
AnswerID: 367106

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 07:45

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 07:45
Hi Matt,
yes the vehicle is under warranty and we have been told by the Nissan service place this is most likely to be a faulty part - and not usual which is why I have asked the question on this forum, we are just unlucky I guess.

To find out what was causing the 'noise' in the motor, they had to keep the vehicle overnight and spend hours pulling it apart on Monday until they discovered what the problem was. Said as soon as it was started up to move to the workshop they knew there was a serious problem - noted apparently on our previous service 5000kms back in another regional WA centre, accoording to records. Should have been repaired there instead of letting us drive it further from what I gather - think they wanted to pass the problem on to somewhere else though. If we had driven much further, the motor would have blown up.

The place we are dealing with has treated us well enough, lent us a courtesy car for the 5 days it has taken Nissan to authorise a hire car - we dont have any complaints about them.

We asked the questions about why parts take so long to arrive too - think they must be sent by backpacker or pigeon. Unbelievable when we have the internet etc!! Not sure whether its because it is a warranty claim and procedures have to be followed and that it might be different if we agreed to pay for it - but as we wont be doing that we just have to wait i guess!

regards,

heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 634795

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 15:49

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 15:49
Heather I bought parts from the states for my YZF 250, about 1kg and the size of a lunch box and it took 3 days from Illinois to my door in Perth.

FedEx and cost $50!

I cant see spain using carrier pidgon!!

Keep rattling the chain and dont accept a No!

Where in WA are you at the moment?

Matt.
FollowupID: 634881

Sponsored Links