MT tyre question

Submitted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:54
ThreadID: 69262 Views:2204 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am lucky enough to have 2 sets of tyres. One for buzzing around town and a bush set.

My current bush set are Cooper ST-C. Very happy with them but I think this trip to Innamincka next month will be their last trip out bush (put them on the car around town to wear them down to get my monies worth and then trade them).

I have read with interest the latest 4wd mag with the mud tyre test. $400 for a tyre is alot of money in anyones book so looking at the cheaper MT's around the $200 bucks.

So, my question is I am happy with the ST-C because of the rocky roads that SA are famous for. Chipping is very minimal running correct pressures (unlike the ST's that I have replaced in warranty).
Are the MT tyres a soft compound also so they will handle the gibber roads and rough tracks of the flinders etc or are they going to chip?

Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 13:04

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 13:04
I beileve the Cooper ST-C and the STT tyres both use the silicia based tyre compund. I don't know what other brand mud tyres use a silicia compund.
AnswerID: 367147

Reply By: Gossy - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 13:36

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 13:36
I assume that the MT tyres would be a softer compound for the die hards who use them for rock crawling etc but not 100% sure (and maybe some brands do and some don't).

I'm more concentrating on the chipping occured from carrying heavy weights on long trips from rocky roads.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 367152

Reply By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:23

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:23
Hi Gossy,
i have the STTs and they have worked a treat with rocky road conditions. they are a soft compound, but have worn very well.

they are cheaper then the ST-C's in the ACT. ($360p/tyre) 33 inch

I use them for the daily driver, tourer, hard 4wding and have found them great.

but other people have found them wanting (chip resistance wise) i guess it comes down to how you treat them and what pressures they are at.

couldn't speak more highly of them
AnswerID: 367190

Reply By: Member - colin M (NSW) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:39

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:39
Just travelled Tweed Heads (16th May 09) to Thargomindah down Strezlecki from Innamincka to William Creek and back through Birdsville track on Michelins (considered to be a soft tyre - big smile). Blew one just out of Innamincka as we had been running at max recommended pressure after listening to someone who was so called "experienced traveller on rough SA roads". After getting a new TYO ($290 fitted) from the tyre lady at Innamincka and listening to her sound local knowledge we reduced tyre pressure to 42PSI and slowed down to 60-70kph on the roughest stretches and had no further problems with the Michelins. I will be going for TYOs all round next time for the extra side wall protection. Road Thargomindah to Innamincka and Lyndhurst turn off to Leigh Creek were worst of whole trip.
AnswerID: 367251

Reply By: Krakka - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 06:19

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 06:19
Hi Gossy, Have used several sets of Bridgestone MT's, D693 i think, chipping has never been an issue. Also use them as daily drivers, handle well, fairly quiet for a muddie.

Krakka
AnswerID: 367292

Reply By: Gossy - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:45

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:45
thanks, sounds like chipping won't be a concern if I do the right thing and run the correct pressures etc etc that we should be doing anyway (tyres are an expensive commodity if you go thru them lots!!).

Ta,
AnswerID: 367364

Sponsored Links