Electric brake problem

Submitted: Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:46
ThreadID: 69293 Views:2548 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
We recently took our camper trailer on a 2 week trip. On the morning of the 6th night, the right side trailer wheel was locked up, and only rotated the extent of free travel in the brake linings.
The electric brakes are operated through a Tekonsha unit, and worked fine for the previous Corner Country trip, and up until the lockup experience on this trip.
I cut the brake power wire to the trailer and this freed up the brake.
The rest of the trip was done without trailer brakes with no dramas, but after returning home, I reconnected the wire, and the wheel rotated without locking up. (2 weeks ago)
This morning, I was about to move the trailer, and the wheel was again locked up until the power wire was disconnected.
Before I start taking the wheels off, and pulling the hubs apart, does anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be a brake fault, or the Tekonsha controller?
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:52

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:52
Hi Ian,
just a thought... if it was the controller putting power to the brake wiring, I would have thought that both brake drums would have operated, not just one, unless there is a problem with the other drum as well. Seems to me you have more than one problem... Sorry, can't think of a solution for you.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367365

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 11:16

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 11:16
Yeah, I had thought about that.
There are 2 wires from the brakes to one at the plug, and I was thinking that maybe the left brake was either not getting power at all or is so far out of adjustment that it won't lock up.
I may have to put a prongy meter thingy over it to see if power is getting to the left brake as well.
Cheers and thanks
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 635037

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:30

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:30
Also no expert but I would assume that if cutting the power to the brakes released them then it sound to me that they are working OK and that the fault lies elsewhere.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 367390

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:07

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:07
Ian
If the brake is locked up and you disconnect the plug and the brake releases then I suspect the Tekonsha unit is faulty (still applying power to the wheels when your foot is off the brakes). Check to see that your brake pedal is fully returning and hasn't got something caught up behind it. Are your stop lights on when the wheel is locked up?
If you disconnect the plug and the wheel is still locked, look at the trailer brakes.

A check with a multimeter will tell you if power is applied to the brakes but you will have to test it when you get the locked wheel.
AnswerID: 367458

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:54

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:54
when you had the brakes hooked up , did you run a power wire down to the plug as well????????. if so the wrong wires may be in the wrong position in the trailer plug
AnswerID: 367485

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:57

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:57
failing wiring faults check to see if the brake unit is still in adjustment . and the light on the brake unit is a red colour when the brake pedal is depressed
FollowupID: 635132

Reply By: viz - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:13

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:13
Do the mechanical checks on the brake unit itself, just in case.

Methinks an earth problem - trailers are notorious for that, especially around the plug - and the reason why I think that is that only ONE wheel is causing the problem. And what may be complicating things is an intermittent fault caused by corrosion, vibration or a combination of both.

If not, then the unit needs testing...

viz
AnswerID: 367494

Sponsored Links