What ever appended to Joe's Hole on the Gibb River Rd

Submitted: Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:29
ThreadID: 69296 Views:4257 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Not so long ago, it was July 1987. A few of us from Darwin decided to go to Broome for a look. We travelled via the Gibb river. I was in my trusty Holden HJ ute, the others on a motor bike and in a Hilux. I remember camping at "Joe's Hole' camping area, beside a beautiful billabong. I can't find it in the trek notes. What is it called now???

Cheers

Scott

By the time we arrived in Derby I don't think there was a single panel on the HJ that wasn't loose. I never got all the dust out of the vents and the trip back to Darwin was all bitumen.

That Christmas we drove the trusty ute from Darwin to Bellingen non stop. 46 hours two blokes and two dogs. The dogs in the back faired better that the blokes in the cabin. It was so hot you couldn't put your feet on the floor. That's another story.

But what happened to Joe's Hole?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:35

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:35
Do you mean Jacks Hole?

If you do it got washed away couple of years ago. I think it is aboriginal land now. Though nothing has been done with it. I can remember Jacks Hole as a kid, top place for cherabun.
AnswerID: 367383

Follow Up By: scottforster - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:45

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:45
I suppose that was the place. It wasn't that far off the road.

Good country up there.

A friend of mine has just come back from helping out with the catering for the bike ride/ fund raiser going on up that way. They were on the Gibb River rd. She loved it- sounds like the weather is still balmy at the moment
FollowupID: 635053

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:48

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:48
Yeah Jacks Hole wasnt far off the road at all. I think the East Kimberley is a little muggy still, but here in Broome its beautiful, overcast and light showers. Rain forecast for next few days. Very very nice weather, have to soak it up while it lasts.
FollowupID: 635054

Reply By: obee1212 - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:24

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:24
It is there but it's not signposted. I think all the heavy traffic from tourists made it a problem for the cattle that depend on the water. And the native animals too I reckon. Tourism is great for money but it has it's drawbacks.

Owen
AnswerID: 367431

Reply By: Drysdale River Station - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:44

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:44
Hi Scott,
Jacks Hole was totally washed away by a big flood of the Durack River during the wet season of 2001 / 2002 , the flood not only took the buildings but also enough dirt to leave the top of the septic tanks showing !
The cost of starting again from scratch would have been huge.
I have heard in in the past (1987 and before ) it was also known as Joe's Hole. I recall there was local dispute as to if it should in fact be Jack's or Joe's.
When it was run for tourism till it washed away it was always known as Jack's Hole.
Don't recall the year it was set up for tourism might have been the late 80's or early 90's.
It is now owned by the ILC ( Indigenous Land Corporation ) and is part of the three 'Home Valley' group of stations.
There is no access and as far as I know the gate is / was locked.
I did hear at one stage that Home Vally guests could do a guided trip to there but you would need to contact Home Valley (who now offer a lot in the way of tourism ) to find the exact facts.
Was nothing to do with cattle and water access, there are no fences there and cattle can access that whole river system anywhere they want.
cheers, Anne

AnswerID: 367464

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:15

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:15
The Sinnamons of Home Valley Station called it Jacks Waterhole from 1989 to 1991.
AnswerID: 367497

Follow Up By: Drysdale River Station - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 23:58

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 23:58
Hi Mike,
Well remembered on the years , I wasn't sure anymore. The name Jacks Hole did remain in use from when the Sinnamon's started it for tourism till it was washed away. Signs on the building and all. Hubert and Marika were on road back from Qld to re open for next season when it was washed away.
That was one heck of a big flood !
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 635168

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 17:51

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 17:51
Anne

It wasn't that hard - the only two times I went to HVS was in 1989 and 1991 !
FollowupID: 635264

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 07:58

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 07:58
When I was there in 1987 it was referred to by everybody I met as Joe's waterhole.
AnswerID: 367535

Reply By: scottforster - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 11:22

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 11:22
Phew.

Well thanks to everyone who replied. Joe's hole was a welcome respite from the jarring ride in the HJ. The HJ made it to Broome and back- though we decide to take the trip via Fitz' and enjoy the bitumen for a change.

I have just finished looking through a friend pictures of her trip last week up the Gibb to Kununurra. They were supporting the bike riders in their fundraiser.

It is amazing to think our country is so diverse and magnificent.- makes me want to go out and beef up the suspension on the twin-cab, pack the bub and brief the wife on what to pack.

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers

Scott
Forster NSW
AnswerID: 367890

Sponsored Links