1989 Jayco 2way fridge problem

Submitted: Friday, May 29, 2009 at 15:48
ThreadID: 69303 Views:3630 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Just bought ourselves a 1989 Jayco Swan. It's in pretty good condition, considering it's been around the block twice. The previous owner has given it a full chassis and raised it a good 6". 16" steel wheels with two spares, twin deep cycle batteries and fuse box, and wiring for an inverter, 140Lt Stainless Steel water tank, 12V water pump and a big 1500mm x 620mm x 800mm tool box on the back. It has a 2 way fridge/freezer, which freezes on gas, but will only get to down to about 10 degrees in the fridge section. The electric side of things doesn't seem to work. he never ran it on 240v at all.
Why would the ice box get cold enough to freeze, but the fridge part not get cold?
We really looking forward to using it soon. :)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:35

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:35
Hi
Being able to freeze in the freezer But only cool in the fridge section can be an indication it has lost gas.
IF there is ANY odour of ammonia inside or around the rear then you have this problem& expensive to fix. A green deposit inside the freezer or on the fridge evaporator would further indicate this as the problem.
A few other points 1st.
#1 Is he fridge leval In all directions & I don't mean the van ? .A saucer of water placed on the freezer will allow you to get it reasonably level.
Operating out of level can do permanent long term damage which of course would not be aware of.
#2 have you checked the gas flame to ensure it is correct size & shape , jet not clogged , burner displaced etc. ?
#3 is the rear well ventilated?
#4 is the thermostat ok ?A rough check is to turn it to max & see if the flame encreases in size, leave it run there over night & then turn it right back ,but not OFF the flame should decrease in size.
AnswerID: 367434

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:39

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:39
Hi
The 240v side is totally diifferant area but 1st check is simply is the heater section heating up at all on 240v. IF not 240 is not something I will give advice on as the risk of you doing the wrong thing is too high.
FollowupID: 635102

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:14

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:14
Hi
IF you are so inclined & no over suggestions shows/ solve the problem. One further suggestion . Sometimes they can get a gas blockage ,usually but not always ,due to not being level when operating.This can often be corrected by removing the fridge & turning upside down & letting it stand that way say for 24hrs . It may be worth repeating shaking while turning a few times before you give up .
Servicing these [ as suggested in another post ] means the service centre may, if their honest do this first, but more likely tell you the whole gas/refrigerant unit needs with either a recon unit or a new unit, quite exy.
One WARNING if you disconnect the gas always ensure when you reconnect that there are no leaks, use soapy water to check all disturbed connections
WE don't want a gas bomb going off.
FollowupID: 635120

Reply By: Stu-k - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:37

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:37
Are you making sure it level? or maybe he didnt and blocked the lines??
AnswerID: 367435

Reply By: Steve Ellis - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:52

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:52
I dont know if there is such a thing as a 2 way fridge. 3 way Electrolux fridges are common inc 12 volt ,240 volt and lpg. Try turning the selector knob. They can be fussy things but as it is an 89 model and doesnt work properly I suggest you have it seviced by a pro. All you can get here are opinions, you need an expert. Best of luck.
AnswerID: 367439

Follow Up By: DIO - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:08

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:08
Yes, two way fridges preceeded 3 - way fridges. Have one in my van.
FollowupID: 635105

Follow Up By: Stu-k - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:09

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:09
Thats the idea i would hazard to guess...get a few opinions before you spend money
FollowupID: 635106

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:22

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:22
Hi
DIO posted:
"Yes, two way fridges preceeded 3 - way fridges. Have one in my van."

Yes probably thousands out there still working, Mostly Electrolux.
A good reason for not using them on camper vans even after 3ways became more common was it made sure no one tried to operate them on 12v while travelling with the associated risk of fire
FollowupID: 635125

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:13

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:13
Thanks for the replies guys,
oldtrack123, there is no smell of ammonia inside or out. there is a sight level on the front of the van and another on the alloy strip near the door. It's in the middle of the lines, on both. Not to say that they are right, i will double check this tomorrow with my work level I use for kitchens. I will also try the saucer with water in it, :)
Your point about the correct flame size and shape, maybe a concern. I've notice through the sight glass it seems very dull.
I will investigate this further.
It has very good ventilation,
I will also check the thermostat, using your method.
Cheers for mentioning about using soapy water after tightening fittings. I've always use this method to find leaks at fittings or breaks in hoses.
One thing I didn't mention and had forgot about, was that between the regulator and the the bottle there is a 'Gas Fuse' and the glass gauge has what looks like water droplets in it. Is this a normal thing?

Cheers for every bodies thoughts.

AnswerID: 367495

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 16:40

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 16:40
Ok, this is where I'm up to with the Fridge,
I checked it for being level and it is. The fidge side of things now get down to 4 degrees and holds that temp. It works well on Gas.
The 240 V doesn't work at all. I contacted a local bloke to have a look at it later in the week.
Thanks for the advise guys,

AnswerID: 367783

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 18:47

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 18:47
Jon,

4 is OK but they will do a lot better when working properly.

If not working on 240 it sounds like the element is buggered. A new element is around $150. Sounds like the thing needs a good overhaul; new element, gas system (including flue cleanout) brought back to scratch etc.

At 20 yo the old girl sounds like she needs a little TLC.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 635404

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:10

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:10
Hi Jim,
She does need a little work, most of which I can fix, Since we got her home on Tuesday night I've been busy tightening this and that, Fysh has been busy cleaning and getting all the Red Dust out of her. Your right Jim, she does need a bit TLC, I've noticed the seal could be replaced as well, it's gone a bit hard in places. I've been keeping an eye in the trading Post and Flea Bay, for maybe a replacement fridge. I did spot in the Trading Post for $400 a brand new canvas, complete for the Jayco Swans. Not that I need to replace ours.
Paul Winmill Caravan Repairs in Grafton who fixed our 50lt Chescold last year said he would take a look at it if I were to drop it in to him. Might do that next week.
If I got desperate for 240v power I can always take our little bar fridge with us next trip.
It will all work it's self out in the long run :)

FollowupID: 635409

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:17

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:17
Sorry Jon,

I was only referring to the fridge.

Those older Jaycos are damn good things. The number of them still on the road bears testament to the build quality.

FollowupID: 635414

Sponsored Links