pressurizing cabin of vehicle

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 18:02
ThreadID: 6931 Views:3448 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,When travelling through the red centre or in convoy in dry ,dusty conditions can anything be done to minimize the amount of dust coming into vehicle.Would attempting to pressurize cabin by turning on air-con fan make any difference?I realize getting red dust through car is all part of the experience but the more you keep out helps the clean up later. thanks in advance mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: johnsy - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 18:19

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 18:19
Marcas turn the fan up to hi and on recycle helps keep the dust out heaps.
AnswerID: 29646

Reply By: Member - Errol (WA) - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 19:56

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 19:56
Having just finished a long and dusty trip , i can see where you are coming from . In the cleaning up of the vehicl , i looked to fined where the dust was coming in , and then to block it up . The main place was the vents at the back of the car . When i took them out , you could see that a lot of dust entered there , so i would start there , and then try to find anwhere else that you can block up . Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
AnswerID: 29651

Reply By: terryo - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:14

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:14
If you have a big air compressor an air blower gun helps with the clean up.
AnswerID: 29659

Follow Up By: marcus - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:22

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:22
And hot soapy water and armourall and a vacuum and upholstery cleaner and and and !!!!!!!
FollowupID: 20777

Reply By: Jol from Direct Four WD Awareness - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:28

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:28
It can be stopped. I have been travelling for 48yrs in the bush, before AC came along you needed the vent open. Even in winter it had to be open to stop dust. Now travel with the flow through on AC or not. With the new vehicles keep the flow through vents closed by tapeing them up. cruisers and nissans have them behind the rear side windows, utes behind the cabin jeeps when you open the rar side doors. even block the drain holes in the back door/s.
Dont travel TOO CLOSE to the car in front shut the vent or put the ac on recurculate when some one comes toward you.

Side winds can create a problem and create a vacume if the lee side window is open, watch around the the rear tail lights foe a void, and if so full it, ie jackaroo.
check the seals for tightness. when travelling with the wind dont open the doors till the dust passes you

cheers Jol Fleming
AnswerID: 29660

Follow Up By: marcus - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:41

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:41
Thanks for that Jol for your reply.Didn't consider those rear flow through vents are the main key to 1)preventing any chance of cabin pressure 2)sucking dust in from here.By taping these vents shut it should make a real difference. mark
FollowupID: 20780

Reply By: Jol from Direct Four WD Awareness - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 22:22

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 22:22
my jeep and ford outback dont suck dust, neither did any of the 20 or so cars i have had, vent open and flow through blocked off
good luck
jol
AnswerID: 29674

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 09:52

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 09:52
Marcus all I have ever done is just run air con that seems to keep the dust out.I use both settings recycle and the other one.
All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
4wd Tag Along AdventuresCape York Connections
AnswerID: 29692

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 12:16

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 12:16
unless the conditions are dusty ie travelling behind a moving vehicle use fan on fresh air setting...this keeps inside of cabin pressurised.
Recirculating and the vehicle can have a negative pressure at rear and positive pressure at front...this has effect of allowing air (with dust) to move into cabin area.Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 29697

Reply By: Mulga Bill - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 13:57

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 13:57
Amen to the above...cars are a bugger to clean if they are "pretty" ones...keep everything shut and keep that fan going flat out...use air cond if its too warm but don't open anything ! You may be interested in my 4 door Bravo ute (now traded) - had a Flexiglas canopy on there - real problem for dust coming in the tailgate area - trying to seal it is hopeless because outback dust makes talcum look coarse- I put a scoop on top made out of 50mm black plumbing fittings - even extended it to the front of the roofrack when on with 50mm pipe...forward travel air flow keeps the pickup very clean. Don't know how the canvas rear blokes can survive - when they pull up, everything in the back is solid red.Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 29703

Follow Up By: PETE - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 21:34

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 21:34
Interested in your set up to help keep dust out of back of ute with solid canopy, has good seals but not yet tested in the outback dust!! A bit hard to follow from your brief outline.
FollowupID: 20825

Follow Up By: Slammin - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 22:48

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 22:48
I've currently got canvas with hard top, not much dust at all as long as the roof and canvas junction is waterproof, certainly had worse with troopcarrier and flexiglass canopies. Also got a canvas roof so I can carry oversized items, get a bit of dust but just make sure you use closed boxes for food etc or if you're fussy use a ground sheet or similar to cover the gear.
Canvas is a lot bigger and easier access then flexiglass.
FollowupID: 20834

Follow Up By: yarda - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:50

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:50
Gday Mulga, a good neat trick for the fiberglass and plastic canopies is to get a pressurisation hatch like you find fitted to rally cars. it is a pop up hatch which opens at the front to form a good air scoop and can be locked down on its seals when it is raining, just fit into the top of the canopy near the front. Brad
FollowupID: 20849

Sponsored Links