Quick Patrol glow plug question

Submitted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 10:06
ThreadID: 69321 Views:8957 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My 93 4.2 diesel only glows for about 2 seconds even on cold mornings. Therefore it is hard to start. Has anyone had this problem and know where to look. I suspect either the temp sender telling fibs or the controller. The manual doesn't say how to test these items. The plugs themselves are all good by the way. It's just something in the timing system.

Also anyone know the best way to get a new door trim board. Mine has got wet at some stage and is all buckled and falling to bits. I would say it would be hard to match the trim via wreckers etc. I guess i will have to buy some ply and use the old one as a template and cut a new one. Thanks in advance. Kirk
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 10:12

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 10:12
Don't know a lot about these Kirk but if I understand correctly there is a relay which senses the temperature and operates the glow plug. Perhaps this is faulty. Wiser heads may chip in with a better explanation.

Cheers

Jeff
AnswerID: 367556

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 11:23

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 11:23
G'day, use the key a couple of times, on and off, then try starting, should be easier to start. Use this method till you sort the problem with the relay etc.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 367568

Reply By: jdphoto - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 11:35

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 11:35
I had a similar problem with my GQ 2.8. I realize that the systems are not exactly the same as the 2.8 has a 2 stage glow system, but the basics should be the same.

My problem ended up being with the glow controller, which is expensive to replace, so I just bypassed it with a push button switch straight to the glow relay.

Identify the trigger wire from the controller to the relay and check the voltage at the relay on a cold start, and also how long it gets that voltage.Mine was simply turning on and then straight off again. If the signal is good, and of a proper duration it is probably the relay...just replace it.

As for the temp sender, there should be specs for testing it in the repair manual, there were in my manual, but it went with the car when I sold it.

AnswerID: 367570

Reply By: Member - John L D (QLD) - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 11:59

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 11:59
Try turning the key without starting the engine. Listen for the click as the power supply to the glow plugs turns off.
You may be being mislead by the dash light into thinking that the glow plugs have finished heating when the light goes out. They haven't.
The glow plug light on the dash on my GQ goes out long before the glow plug power supply turns off.
I wait a little while after the dash light goes out on cold mornings before cranking the motor and find this helps.
Cheers
John
AnswerID: 367571

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 17:32

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 17:32
John LD is correct.
It is a simple case of glowing the plugs a couple of times on real cold mornings.
Yes the light goes out before te glow controller clicks off. You will have to listen hard for the click but it is there if you do not try to start the engine then simply glow again and start.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 367637

Reply By: Member - Andrew H (QLD) - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 21:49

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 21:49
A quick way to find out is to remove the plug from the temp sensor and check the glow time, it should be a looooong time (basiclly this tells the controll box it's really cold, like Noth Pole cold ) . If still hard to start, time to look for other problems.
Andy
AnswerID: 367681

Follow Up By: Kirk and Jeanette - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 12:19

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 12:19
Thanks Andrew. Did that and yes it glows for a long time. The terminals in the plug are quite corroded so will rectify that.
FollowupID: 635373

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 04:26

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 04:26
Kirk & Jeanette

Our Patrol.... (GU 11, 2001 4.2 TD) does the same.

Turn key on, glow plug goes out, listen till glow plug relay drops out.
...............(clunk. 3 - 5 secs later)
...........(It's audible, from inside vehicle, and is situated near RHS bonnet hinge)

Do it all again !

Motor l will start every time, with a follow thru flick of the key !
Apparently there used to be a kit out there, but there is no need

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 367703

Reply By: Kirk and Jeanette - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 12:25

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 12:25
Cheers folks. Thanks for the info. Think I am getting to the bottom of it. If i turn key off and then on again the glow light, most of the time, will not come on again. I suspect the temp sender is the problem. The wires in the plug are corroded. Will cut the plug off and fit some new terminals and see how that goes. It remains hard to start even after several glow attempts so i think that when the light is out there is no glow.
AnswerID: 367746

Sponsored Links