Wiring in a relay for a 12v pump ?

Submitted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 18:17
ThreadID: 69376 Views:6507 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am haivng trouble working out how to do this.
12V battery on camper
12V water pump
Pull on push off isolation switch
Push on auto off button switch
4 Pole Relay

My idea is to use the pull on/ push off switch to simply isolate the + circuit close to the battery. thats easy

The other switch/button needs to be on a long lead so i can control the pump from a reasonable distance from the battery where the sink is.

I could run the battery + directly from the battery to the pump and use the isolation switch in this line to isolate the circuit.

Then run the Battery negative via the long lead and back to the pump.

Would this be ok? or should i use the relay? if so what is the best way to include the relay in the circuit.

Relay has 4 poles 30, 87, 85 and 86
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 18:32

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 18:32
Dont need a relay If you have an isolation switch all you need is a momentory on in the positive line.
I used to do this with a garbage disposer in the kitchen sink.

We had a push switch down on the kickboard below the cupbords and you just held it in with your toe until you finished and then let it go.

Reason it was down there was so the kids couldnt climb up on a chair and turn a switch on near the bench and put their hands down the garbage disposer.
We preferred to use scissors to cut their finger nails.

LOL

AnswerID: 367798

Follow Up By: blueriderwa - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 18:53

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 18:53
Thanks Graham but what do you mean by a momentory?

I am planning on using the -tive as the long lead, is this the best idea or should i use the +tive?
FollowupID: 635405

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:03

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:03
Momentory is a switch you push on and when you let it go it pops out and off.
Is a spring loaded touch switch same as you use to hook two batteries together to use them both to start.
Either wire but + is best as doesnt leave the live to the pump active which if the - hits the chassis and effectively shorts would start the pump.
Make sense?????????????

AnswerID: 367803

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:08

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:08
On reading your post again all you reallyneed is a commercial grade momentory on the positive You will also have a neg back to the battery anyway. Always best to have the switch in the hot wire Much safer.
Fuse it near the battery if you are worried about it

KISS is good.

FollowupID: 635408

Follow Up By: blueriderwa - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:11

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:11
ok, so i have a momentary already. i described it as a push on auto off button/ switch.

After your advice this is what i will do

Battery + ---> isolation switch ----> long lead ---> momentary ----> long lead ------>pump +

battery - ----> pump -

does this sound ok to you?
FollowupID: 635410

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:32

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:32
Yes but why not put your pump and switch near the sink.
Better still buy a pump with a pressure switch built in as in a caravan.
Then u just turn the tap on and off and it shuts down when the pressure gets up again. Probably not a lot dearer and much easier.

FollowupID: 635418

Follow Up By: blueriderwa - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:05

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:05
thanks graham your advise has helped me heaps. i have got the set up working now and just need to set up the momentary on the long leat and all will be good.

the reason for not setting up the pump near the sink is because i'd rather have it pushing rather than pulling the water from the water cans on the side of the trailer.

Also the kitchen is fully detachable from the trailer, so id rather have the pump bollted to the trailer rather than the sink

i cant use a pressure pump because i want to keep the pump action tap on the sink in case the pump dies or i dont want to run the hose and power to the pump

i might get a pressure pump to set up a shower later on. cheers dave
FollowupID: 635423

Sponsored Links