Unroadworthy vehicle - who to report too?

Submitted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 18:59
ThreadID: 69380 Views:12336 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
If you see an unroadworthy truck on the road (no brakes, one headlight out, no dash lights etc) who does one report it too?

The company its working for?
The road transport authority inspectors?
Contractor/Owner ?

Saw such a truck Thursday and would like to do something bout it BEFORE it costs some innocent their life but not sure who to call?.

The owner stated he didn't want it taken to the mechanics to have the brakes done.

Also - whats the MAX driving shift length - this owner demands 17 hour shifts, 6 days straight with no rest breaks....sounds illegal to me, against transport laws.

Theres no way to get 8 hours rest between shifts when working 17 hours straight a day x 6 days. (102 hours a week) and I thought driving stints were under mandatory break periods now due to the large number of truck accidents due to over tiredness of drivers?.

Anyone know the latest rules and who to report it too?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff & Karen - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:09

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:09
Would you not just ring your local police station. I'm sure they could answer all of your concerns! Makes sense to me............................

RTA website would answer your driving hours questions. But then different states have different rules. Maybe that will give you something to do, sit and look up all the states.

AnswerID: 367805

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:14

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:14
Definitely not the employer as hes the one causing the trouble.
The Police IF they are interested
In QLd there are transport inspectors who deal with this as well.

Horurs are I think 66 a week 6 x 11hrs 5.5 hours then a break of at least 30 mins
No more than 11 hous driving in a 14 hour day.

24hrs off after 66 driving hours.

I may be wrong but thats what we worked in QLD driving buses.

FollowupID: 635413

Reply By: Tim - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:52

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:52
The vehicles lack of road worthiness should go to the RTA heavy vehicle inspectors. They can send out a notice to produce and the truck has to be produced at a heavy vehicle checking station or can be sourced through the Safety Cams and stopped at a checking station on a highway.
As far as driving hours goes, I would also send this to the RTA. Drivers can use 3 sets of rules being standard hours, basic fatigue management or Transitional fatuigue management systems. Each system has different requirements as far as driving and rest times. These systems get pretty complex but the RTA guys who deal with this stuff everyday know it back to front.
This is obviously all for NSW too.
AnswerID: 367833

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:20

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:20
If it was in QLD it would most probably not be registered either. They have to go over the pits every year for RWC to renew rego.
AnswerID: 367839

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:27

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:27
This will be of help

For your information
AnswerID: 367869

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 12:00

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 12:00
There is a very old saying that could apply here ......

"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Maybe we shouldn't start pointing the finger at trucks, in case they retaliate by reporting unroadworthy looking 4WDs, in which case, I think they would win!
AnswerID: 367900

Reply By: Flywest - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 22:43

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 22:43

The truck is in WA, a tilt tray that recovers broken down vehicles for the auto club ( no names no packdrill).

Being a long weekend theres no one on duty at the auto club, and I am reluctant to "dob em into the police" so to speak although I will If thats whats required.

I was sposed to be "trained" to drive this thing for relief / casual / part time work to give the main driver a break.

One day in it was enough for me to back out and say "no way"...find someone else - the trucks not roadworthy etc etc.

I figure it needs to be reported - the owner when asked about having the brakes repaired said "no way" when asked if we could take it too the mechanics, - it just got back on the road after spitting a rear diff and was out of commission for a few weeks - he wants to keep it on the road to recoup his losses when it wasn't working.

The instruction was:-

"If we got a job that delivered to the suburb where their mechanic worked AND if there was no new job waiting for us - THEN we could get the mechanic to look at it for 10 mins and maybe adjust up the breaks a bit if he had time - otherwise just keep working!

The brake pedal goes to the floor completely 3 times before you get ANY grab on the breaks...

It just astounded me that such a BIG corporation that this truck contracts too could alow their customers cars AND the customers to be collected and dropped to their mechanic or home in a un roadworthy truck - its an accident looking for somewhere to happen.

When (not if) it all goes pear shaped as it must (the regular driver nearly rear ended someone when laden and with a client on board on the freeway at 100kph) someones going to be badly hurt or killed.

I didn't want that responsibility on my shoulders as the driver, so I bailed on that particular job offer.

I wouldn't forgive myself if someone else (an innocent) was hurt and I knew about the deficiencies and didn't do something to try and rectify it before hand.

The driver talks on their provided mobile phones all day as part of the job - no hands free kit and they never wear the seatbelts because they are in and out of the truck all day! He tells me the police never charge them with either offense because they are only too happy the trucks come and cleanup the highway crash messes for them and don't want the tow drivers to get offside - or the police won't be able to do their job - thats why they turn a blind eye to the state of the tow / recovery trucks and all the other roadworthy and shift length issues etc.

To me it seems wrong but apparently thats how the industry operates in the real world.

Not for this little black duck.

I'll phone police tomorrow.

Cheers & thanks
AnswerID: 368056

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 23:43

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 23:43
Run into a police car while they are eating their donuts and coffee
FollowupID: 635617

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)